Leonardo da Vinci drawings coming to Sunderland

Been today and it was really good. They only let small groups of people in at a time and the drawings are well spaced out so you have plenty of time to appreciate them without feeling crowded. Really enjoyed looking at them and there's a good amount of background information.

Look out for Andrew Tift's drawings of old people in the gallery opposite. They are absolutely outstanding drawings and well worth a look.

I’ve been and thought exactly the same. I know they’re really old (da Vinci’s stuff ;) ) but the portraits are amazing!!!

It was great to have it in Sunderland but I must admit I was a little underwhelmed by the number of drawings on display. When the Laing had an exhibition of some of the collection a couple of years ago they seemed to have a better selection, IIRC.

Fantastic for the city.

One of histories greatest minds . I mean his plane and helicoptor would have fallen apart on the ground (which is great since his parachute design was a pyramid of canvas and wood) , his triple cannon had barrels so thin they would have exploded, his tank would have been an immobile flammable target, his giant crossbow would have worked once then needed 20 (extremely brave or entirely disposable) fellas to recock it, his horse statue was going to based on his aforementioned cannon expertise and thankfully wasnt able to crush its own creator (denver airport style) before being scrapped and I 101% suspect his robotic knight was a midget in some armour with some pulleys.

Looking forward to seeing the drawings at the palace

I got married just on the border with Vinci. Its a proper backwater region, mostly on a hillside covered in trees. The Wife (no) got chased off the road by a wild boar with pigletts. One church we looked at needed a four wheeler drive to get to it.

Fantastic for the city.

One of histories greatest minds . I mean his plane and helicoptor would have fallen apart on the ground (which is great since his parachute design was a pyramid of canvas and wood) , his triple cannon had barrels so thin they would have exploded, his tank would have been an immobile flammable target, his giant crossbow would have worked once then needed 20 (extremely brave or entirely disposable) fellas to recock it, his horse statue was going to based on his aforementioned cannon expertise and thankfully wasnt able to crush its own creator (denver airport style) before being scrapped and I 101% suspect his robotic knight was a midget in some armour with some pulleys.

Looking forward to seeing the drawings at the palace
Would just need a few sprints to iron out any little issues.

I went back in February and thought about 1/3 fantastic, 1/3 ok and 1/3 underwhelming. Definitely worth a visit just for the former though.

I got married just on the border with Vinci. Its a proper backwater region, mostly on a hillside covered in trees. The Wife (no) got chased off the road by a wild boar with pigletts. One church we looked at needed a four wheeler drive to get to it.
When you say region, you mean the surrounding area, which is very rural. The actual region is Tuscany, which was obviously the epicentre of the Renaissance and not a backwater. Sorry to be a pedant, but this half Tuscan had to pick you up on that ;).

Nice spot to get married though.

Last edited:
When you say region, you mean the surrounding area, which is very rural. The actual region is Tuscany, which was obviously the epicentre of the Renaissance and not a backwater. Sorry to be a pedant, but this half Tuscan had to pick you up on that ;).

Nice spot to get married though.

No problem at all mate. I was talking about the region or municipality of Vinci, not Tuscany. The whole of the St Allucio ridge being a very picturesque Tuscan Backwater and a maze of dodgy roads, thick woods and half abandoned villas. We got married there because that is where my wife is from.

Back