Leicester Helicopter Crash

Not a chance will a service or pre flight check pick up a faulty split pin mind
A visual inspection during service should have picked up an incorrectly fitted split pin. In normal use a split pin carries no load so is not under stress. The assembly to which it is fitted should already be secure and the pin is there to prevent slackening should that security be lost (slackening). From the AAIB report the foot pedals became detached from the rotor actuator linkage and feedback signal was lost. Once lost it allowed the rotor blades to fail to full pitch with no control over them, as was a common occurrence in controllable pitch propellers at sea until suitable modifications were made. At full pitch the helicopter began to yaw (rotate about a vertical axis) with no control. It was effectively 'lost' from then on. Split pins have been fazed out of most industries where component security is critical. They are cheap and cheerful, shouldn't be re-used, disposable, and they do work but a thorough visual inspection will turn up an incorrectly fitted or damaged pin.

I would expect recommendations from the report to include a modification to the failure mode from that of 'fail to full pitch' to either 'fail to zero pitch', where no sideway thrust is developed, or 'fail to a pre-calculated pitch' sufficient to prevent yaw and maintain the helicopter's stability. These failure mode modifications are relatively easy to achieve and were made to ships' CPP systems twenty years ago following several incidents of collisions caused by propellers failing full ahead or full astern, with no control, during manœuvring.

When I worked offshore most of the Helicopters were OK, some were a bit ropey, the pilots were a very mixed bunch mind, some flew them like a bus service (which they basically were) some liked to pretend they were in Apocalypse Now or something, which could be a bit scary at times.
A friend of mine's brother was CEO of a leading helicopter operator in that field. He resigned because of the overhaul of engine practices adopted by the company. He took up the job of head of flights for the Sultan of Oman's fleet. The company he left have been in the news occasionally.

Last edited:

Id imagine a couple of failed pins caused it. Things like this should be changed if they take stress.
Looking at it I think the castle nut was probably too tight, in this situation a Thakeray washer should be used so the nut should neither loosen or tighten while still allowing the arm to pivot.Was qute common on accelerator linkages in the old days, should never be stress on the split pin.

A Castle Nut is often not meant to be tight, as together with a washer and cotter pin it can be used to keep a moving part in place, in this case the linkage.

What has probably happened, is the slight loose play of the nut on the thread and movement under pressure combined with repeated use has caused the castle nut to chew through the cotter pin and if the assembly was covered in black grease it hadn’t been noticed.

I recall something similar happening many moons ago on an ancient farm trailer.
The castle nut under repeated pressure and constant movement had chewed away the cotter and the damned wheel fell off with a full load on board.
In this case it was holding a wheel bearing in place and being covered in black grease was not noticeable until too late.

Alaska Air DC9. That's all you need to know

jackscrew

Sheet happens.

A bit different.
Lack of grease on the thread had eventually cause it to strip.

A castle nut under pressure can chew through a split pin, even if it is covered in grease

A bit different.
Lack of grease on the thread had eventually cause it to strip.

A castle nut under pressure can chew through a split pin, even if it is covered in grease

Of course Len, but my point was that very small malfunctions can cause catastrophic events.

Thank you for your contribution.

Of course Len, but my point was that very small malfunctions can cause catastrophic events.

Thank you for your contribution.

I take your point but the Alaska job was the result of catastrophic maintenance negligence with regard to a major component that had no built in failsafe backup.
Absolutely shocking that nobody spotted it before the thread dried off and eventually stripped.

Don’t know what happened to those responsible, but they should have been locked up and the key thrown away.

I worked with an ex-Royal Navy aircraft technician a few years ago and he said that the helicopter's rotors had something called a Jesus nut more or less keeping them attached. The inference was that if the nut went, he was the only person who could help you.

Interesting, Just watched an Aircrash Investigation Doc.

It seem a missing cotter pin on a castle nut and bolt securing an elevator linkage, brought down a DC8 cargo plane killing the crew and causing a hell of a mess on the ground in America.

Did the helicopter ride to the Grand Canyon in March. First time in one, must admit I didn’t like it and probably won’t go in one again.
Snap. Felt absolutely ill going there and back, wasn’t what I was expecting at all.

Was a crash in Vegas not long ago too.

We went on one in New York about 15 year back, tipped forward to what felt like 90 degrees but probably under 45 at take off over the river.

I'm fairly sure a year or so after one crashed as the blades chopped the water.
I had a look for the news article some time back but couldn't find anything. Convinced it happened though.

I don't think I'd go in one again either.

Been up in India99 quite a few times, great times

Back