Leicester City

One of the highest recipients of owner funding in European football in the past decade. Expect they'll need to balance that out with sales (or drastically reduced spending) in coming windows. Really makes the point about spending cycles. It's something that is relevant to all clubs tbh. Only a small handful of clubs can expect consistent spending beyond their 'natural' spending power. Even City are having to be sensible-ish at times. Spending in one window affects decision-making in the next 3-5 windows. Fans really should be more mindful of that by now.

Since they won the league they’ve been very badly ran
They definitely caught lighting in a bottle that season. Their squad, comparatively speaking, cost peanuts. Ranieri was and still is incapable of holding a long term job and yet found a way to get them to believe. They dug up their parking lot to move some bones, employed a shaman. Plus the clubs that are traditionally winning the league were busy taking points off each other.
I wonder if the helicopter crash has had some long lasting effect.

Need outs before ins. Bloated wage structure and last season had players who couldn't be registered due to the size of their squad. Also players like Fofana have hit the age threshold so need to be registered now.

Nobody wants their available players as most are on higher wages than their talent is worth. Got a load with contracts ending next year though.

We have money to spend but very little room to manoeuvre on wages.

Think Rodgers was counting on shifting the plethora of deadwood (A lot of which was signed by him) but unsurprisingly no one wants our shite. Recruitment has been very poor since he demanded more of a say and brought in Congerton - who has thankfully now been squeezed out.

Rumours Kasper could be on his way to Nice which as one of our top earners would give a bit of leeway but leave a massive hole in character and leadership.

Several players need to go but who is going to take then?

Vestergaard, Bertrand, Perez, Soumare, Choudhury etc.

Everyone was expecting Tielemans to go also but Arsenal seem to be flirting but then signing other players and a very poor season from him last year has perhaps not given him as many options as he thought he'd have.

Very happy with our starting eleven if they can stay free of injury and a lot less congestion without Europe but if the injuries pile up again we could well struggle. Injuries another thing that we were great at managing before Rodgers came, he then forced out our Head Physio and it went to pot.

Think Rodgers was counting on shifting the plethora of deadwood (A lot of which was signed by him) but unsurprisingly no one wants our shite. Recruitment has been very poor since he demanded more of a say and brought in Congerton - who has thankfully now been squeezed out.

Rumours Kasper could be on his way to Nice which as one of our top earners would give a bit of leeway but leave a massive hole in character and leadership.

Everyone was expecting Tielemans to go also but Arsenal seem to be flirting but then signing other players and a very poor season from him last year has perhaps not given him as many options as he thought he'd have.

Very happy with our starting eleven if they can stay free of injury and a lot less congestion without Europe but if the injuries pile up again we could well struggle. Injuries another thing that we were great at managing before Rodgers came, he then forced out our Head Physio and it went to pot.

Do I get the sense that you wouldn't mind seeing Rodgers move on?

Would you be okay with Schmeichel moving on and Iverson stepping in? Seem to remember you were saying Iverson wasn’t convincing at all in pre-season.

A couple of years on and I still can’t believe you spunked around £30m on Perez, he was woeful at the mags.

Do I get the sense that you wouldn't mind seeing Rodgers move on?
I'll be forever grateful for the FA Cup win and some of the football in his first 18 months here was the best I've ever seen.

I'd much prefer for him to stay and have a successful season but it's hard to shake the feeling that he's peaked and we are on a downward trajectory. Whether a change would stop that who knows.

The football we've played for the last 18 months has been dour, sleep inducing stuff but again can't complain too much after finishing 5th, 5th and 8th, something most teams and indeed ourselves would usually only dream of.

It's really strange time at the moment.
Would you be okay with Schmeichel moving on and Iverson stepping in? Seem to remember you were saying Iverson wasn’t convincing at all in pre-season.
I love Schmeichel. One of my favourite players to have ever played for us but he's been with us for 11 years and has said he'd like to try something new before retiring so if I've did leave it'd be with everyone's blessing.

Give Iversen his dues, he's been very decent and looking much more assured in the last 2 friendlies. Still can't see Rodgers choosing him as number one, although I would have him far ahead of Danny Ward!

Last edited:
They have a massive squad, managed to send one team to Derby and one to Preston at the same time, both full of quality and won both games pretty easily. They'll be ok!
Keeping the players we have fit is the key
After the obvious 6 then I’d say we have a squad as good as anybody else and way better than most.
This so called log jam of needing to sell to buy is likely more a case of if someone does go then we look to replace.
The first 15 or so really are top quality and losing any of them would be a blow and would be hard to replace , if one or more of the back up go then they can be replaced with similar quality.
The average age is quite low apart from Evans and Sir Jamie.
After the Title win we spunked quite a bit on bad buys and I for one am not bithrrrd by the lack of activity when I look at what we already have.
Good luck for the new season Sunderland 🦊💙

After the obvious 6 then I’d say we have a squad as good as anybody else and way better than most.
This so called log jam of needing to sell to buy is likely more a case of if someone does go then we look to replace.
The first 15 or so really are top quality and losing any of them would be a blow and would be hard to replace , if one or more of the back up go then they can be replaced with similar quality.
After the Title win we spunked quite a bit on bad buys and I for one am not bithrrrd by the lack of activity when I look at what we already have.
Was the reason you seemed to drop off last season due to injuries? I didn't watch much of the prem last season but I'm guessing Vardy and/or Maddison was suffering from injuries?

I'm a Derby fan but yeah, good luck to Sunderland anyway 😉

Can see them selling a few, and not the ones they want to. They're stuck with a few awful signings on big wages. Perez, Vestegaard etc. Can see them selling Maddison and Tielemens near the end of the window.

Back