Leicester City PSR breach.

So if I am reading this correctly clubs can spend what they like, get relegated with parachute money, then only receive a punishment if they go back up again to the PL? Rinse and repeat.

What chance have the rest of the clubs in the EFL got?

The joys of being a yo-yo club. Overspend each year and never have to face FFP/PSR charges as you're only in that league for 1 season before you're promoted or relegated. And both EFL and EPL seem to need a 3 season period to balance the overspend.

You only have to look at the season stats to see how utterly dominant, too dominant, Leicester City have been this season. I’m sorry but you just don’t get that kind of form from having diddly squat and having average players. If you did we would be one of the better teams in the league. You only ever see that kind of form by having a huge spending advantage over the rest of the league. Spending way beyond even the best capabilities of the rest of the clubs.

How the EFL have seemingly let them get away with this for a full season and haven’t fined them now is beyond me.

You only have to look at the season stats to see how utterly dominant, too dominant, Leicester City have been this season. I’m sorry but you just don’t get that kind of form from having diddly squat and having average players. If you did we would be one of the better teams in the league. You only ever see that kind of form by having a huge spending advantage over the rest of the league. Spending way beyond even the best capabilities of the rest of the clubs.

How the EFL have seemingly let them get away with this for a full season and haven’t fined them now is beyond me.
They can’t be fined until they break the rules and they don’t break the rules until the financial period ends in June. That’s not really the EFL’s fault. The clubs agreed to the rules, a decision which probably didn’t include Leicester as I assume they were in the Premier League. Leicester would have been in breach of the rules this season without a major fire sale by the end of June. They aren’t yet. And now we’ll never know whether they would have been if they haven’t been promoted, because they have been promoted so they will now just take the fine which is all they can be given if they are no longer in the league. They’re not the first to exploit this loophole. It’s not even the first time they have exploited this loophole. They exploited it last time they went up as I recall. They are the first relegated club to do so quite so aggressively perhaps, but that’s all. It feels a bit like the FFP equivalent of getting your professional foul in so early and so outrageously that you only get a yellow card.

Last edited:
They can’t be fined until they break the rules and they don’t break the rules until the financial period ends in June. That’s not really the EFL’s fault. The clubs agreed to the rules, a decision which probably didn’t include Leicester as I assume they were in the Premier League. Leicester would have been in breach of the rules this season without a major fire sale by the end of June. They aren’t yet. And now we’ll never know whether they would have been if they haven’t been promoted, because they have been promoted so they will now just take the fine which is all they can be given if they are no longer in the league. They’re not the first to exploit this loophole. It’s not even the first time they have exploited this loophole. They exploited it last time they went up as I recall. They are the first relegated club to do so quite so aggressively perhaps, but that’s all. It feels a bit like the FFP equivalent of getting your professional foul in so early and so outrageously that you only get a yellow card.

I know it is common practice to basically contradict any point I have, even if it agrees with the majority, but that is not my point.

They spent an awful lot for a club who has been relegated. This raised my suspicions in August when the season started. Far too much. Way more than any club in the Championship can and do. How can any club spend that much despite being in the second tier and nobody feel they don't have a staggering financial advantage. No club could compete with that level of spending. How can so many be so daft as to miss this glaring fact? Home record they come first in ever aspect. Most games won. Most goals scored. Least goals conceded. Highest GD. And they have one more home game to go against Blackburn and I can see them scoring a few more. Similarly their away form is not normal for a Championship club. Most games won. Most goals scored. Never mind FFP. They should be done for just completely dominating the league in the way they did.

I know it is common practice to basically contradict any point I have, even if it agrees with the majority, but that is not my point.

They spent an awful lot for a club who has been relegated. This raised my suspicions in August when the season started. Far too much. Way more than any club in the Championship can and do. How can any club spend that much despite being in the second tier and nobody feel they don't have a staggering financial advantage. No club could compete with that level of spending. How can so many be so daft as to miss this glaring fact? Home record they come first in ever aspect. Most games won. Most goals scored. Least goals conceded. Highest GD. And they have one more home game to go against Blackburn and I can see them scoring a few more. Similarly their away form is not normal for a Championship club. Most games won. Most goals scored. Never mind FFP. They should be done for just completely dominating the league in the way they did.
They recouped an awful lot more than they spent tho, similar to Southampton. The whole system is broken because you’re right, no other clubs can compete with the relegated clubs.

They recouped an awful lot more than they spent tho, similar to Southampton. The whole system is broken because you’re right, no other clubs can compete with the relegated clubs.
Totally agree with that. And Burnley were even more dominant last year while apparently not even pushing the envelope the way Leicester did but just using the parachute payments to optimum effect. I was just pointing out it’s a bit wrong headed to scream at the EFL for not fining a club that hasn’t broken their rules. Scream at them for having crap rules by all means.

Back