Leicester City PSR breach.

Earlier this season, based on financial information submitted by the Club, the EFL’s independent Club Financial Reporting Unit (CFRU) concluded that the Club was forecasting to breach the Profitability and Sustainability (P&S) loss limits for the three-year period ending with financial year 2023/24.

The CFRU determined that it was appropriate under P&S Rule 2.9 to require Leicester City Football Club to submit a business plan to demonstrate how it planned to comply with the EFL’s P&S spending limits.

The Club argued that the relevant P&S Rule did not apply to it, meaning the CFRU had no right to require a business plan in respect of Season 2023/24.

That matter was referred by the Club to the independent Club Financial Reporting Panel (CFRP) which concluded that under the Rules as currently written, Rule 2.9 did not apply to the Club and so it was under no obligation to submit and agree to a business plan.

The CFRP decision has been published today and will help in informing the EFL on the potential Rule amendments that will be proposed for consideration by Championship Clubs in the future to ensure all Clubs are treated equally under the Rules.

Leicester City is responsible for meeting its obligations in respect of the P&S Rules which will be assessed along with the submissions of all other Clubs in accordance with the League’s established processes.

The League will be making no further comment on this matter at this time.

The CFRP decision can be found here

Last edited:

The whole Championship financial landscape is an absolute mockery really.

Relegated PL gifted hundreds of millions for what is essentially a free shot at promotion by allowing them to maintain PL level wage bills and outspend the competition by eye watering amounts. Others spending about 150% of their income on wages, all without a care in the world because at the end of the day when push comes to shove nothing will happen.

It needs a root and branch overhaul but that will obviously never happen.

An utter joke.

Appreciate I'm being lazy but is there a summary? I've gone through the PDF but there's a tonne of sub clauses and I've lost the will to live.

Point 49 was about as close as I got to understanding

The issue that arises in practice is that, at the start of a new Season, the CFRU will be in a position to investigate, sanction and/or take steps to require compliance by the 18 existing Championship Clubs, on the basis of the PSR Calculation and Future Financial Information submitted by those Clubs by 31 March during the previous Season. However, the CFRU will not have received the same information from the 6 new Clubs as those Clubs were not subject to the P&S Rules during the previous Season.”

Last edited:
Football is absolutely fucked isn’t it, I don’t even like it anymore, how are we ever meant to compete in the premier league again ? The mags have got loads of money but can’t spend it, it’s a closed shop it’s all bent as well, heard a story today of Chelsea buying a Mag kid, the kid wanted to move to Chelsea and his parents informed the mags he wanted to leave, the Saudis get in touch with Chelsea and tell them buy him and they’ll do no more business with Chelsea ever, I’m sure that Lewis Hall deal between the mags and Chelsea is some sort of FFP fiddle as well.

Football is absolutely fucked isn’t it, I don’t even like it anymore, how are we ever meant to compete in the premier league again ? The mags have got loads of money but can’t spend it, it’s a closed shop it’s all bent as well, heard a story today of Chelsea buying a Mag kid, the kid wanted to move to Chelsea and his parents informed the mags he wanted to leave, the Saudis get in touch with Chelsea and tell them buy him and they’ll do no more business with Chelsea ever, I’m sure that Lewis Hall deal between the mags and Chelsea is some sort of FFP fiddle as well.
Crazy that

The relegated clubs will have an even greater advantage when the rules change in a couple of years time.

It is only at the draft stage but almost certain to be ratified, relegated clubs from the PL will be allowed to spend up to 85% of Turnover on wages for the period they are in receipt of those parachute payments. The other clubs will be limited to 75%. The parachute payments and the continuence thereof, is, per the PL completely non-negotiable. The olive branch is increased solidarity money all around for the 72 not to be sniffed at but still piddling v parachute cash.

The whole Championship financial landscape is an absolute mockery really.

Relegated PL gifted hundreds of millions for what is essentially a free shot at promotion by allowing them to maintain PL level wage bills and outspend the competition by eye watering amounts. Others spending about 150% of their income on wages, all without a care in the world because at the end of the day when push comes to shove nothing will happen.

It needs a root and branch overhaul but that will obviously never happen.

An utter joke.
Parachute payments need to stop, it's massively unfair on the rest of the division.

Back