Lee Johnson

I'll be disappearing soon. I've spent more time on here in the last five days than in the entire time since Parkinson was appointed. I'll be back when Johnson is into one of his winless runs. I'll be back even quicker when the Cowleys get their next job and show what we could have had.
Oh, and it wasn't ridiculous over the top praise for the Cowleys as you will discover over the next decade or so.
I'll be back when we go on a winless run? Well if that isn't a "I told you so" I don't know what is.

I'll be disappearing soon. I've spent more time on here in the last five days than in the entire time since Parkinson was appointed. I'll be back when Johnson is into one of his winless runs. I'll be back even quicker when the Cowleys get their next job and show what we could have had.
Oh, and it wasn't ridiculous over the top praise for the Cowleys as you will discover over the next decade or so.

How did your hero worshipping of Paolo Di Canio go? How good was your vision of his career successes there?

The appointment of a strategic planner to oversee our development suggests it isn't short sighted. Seems a tad daft to ask how many more chances do we give our new owners given it's their first round of appointments. :lol:

Regarding abuse it's par for the course, Shorty spent a fortune holding on to premier league status and got dog's abuse. If a handful of perennial message board malcontents is enough to drive them off they're not cut out for the position. Let's hope they're as thick skinned as Fat Mike.
Hope they they are thicked skined when the results will continue as they are

Sorry mate. There are some people who like him. We're pretty split 50/50. I despise the bloke and some of that is down to the fact that we were so unfair to Steve Cotterill - a man who deserved the loyalty that Lee Johnson would ultimately get owing to nepotism (did you know that 90% of Johnson's playing career was under his dad as well?)

He might do well. But fast attacking football... i certainly wouldn't get my hopes up.

Like i said, good luck.
Cheers for basically backing up my fears about him, once he starts with all the bullshit he'll be out on his ear as we've been sold a pup so many times it's embarrassing, always thought when I heard him interviewed on TV he came across as someone who actually thinks he's something special but has lived off his dad's reputation (who was no Cloughie himself btw) , which also won't wash up here. Would rather have someone like Mick Mac who is straight and the players would actually respect him, I think the players will laugh in his face tbh, shit appointment but hope he does well....🙄

Midtable Johnson has managed in both this and the league above and done nothing impressive in any of that time.
He is the new Pep across the road mind.
I said on here a couple of days ago that there's no satisfaction in I told you so. It's this appointment that is pathetic.
I hope Im wrong but I think we will be proved right.

A massive missed opportunity by SAFC here.

We are going to appoint a championship plodder who had significant resources and couldnt get more than midtable.

Must have done a good interview.

We never ever learn. Recruitment is killing this club.

Last edited:
Indeed, but you have to give any Manager the time.
I thought you would go for someone like Ryan Lowe however money may have influenced taking a Manager that is currently available with no compensation.

Can't be getting someone like Lowe, he's only promoted teams before after only being there one year. We prefer to give a job to someone who saves teams from relegation and gets them midtable

Having slept on this it has the feeling of a bit of disappointment and a little excitement at the change of thinking and the philosophy change but I keep coming back to one thought!

Last time I thought this was the same day double appointments of Wilikinson and Cotterill!

And we all know how that turned out!

Don't mean to sound down on it and will back it once all of it is confirmed but just saying what I think

Can't be getting someone like Lowe, he's only promoted teams before after only being there one year. We prefer to give a job to someone who saves teams from relegation and gets them midtable

We’ve got one of them now. We’ve lost the momentum we built from last season which is a real disappointment. Just stay up this season and I will be happy as long as we have a club. Injuries are hurting us.

Good luck though Mate.

He will give you your best times in the past 5 years but also your worst too. Out of the options he's probably your best choice. He pretty much took Barnsley up before he left them for us.

You’re making stuff up, we was 11th when he left us, 6 points below the 6th placed team, having played a game more.
You also said in another post that he built our squad, he didn’t we have a recruitment team, a scouting network, and a data analyst who are responsible for bringing in players.
I disagree, Johnson had won 7 in a row when he left Barnsley. He left them in a great place.

After the first 20 games of that season going into December we was rock bottom of the league and had been knocked out of the FA Cup by non league Altrincham.

Last edited:
If the Cowley's don't come I'd rather look even further down the league's than go for f***ing Johnson because he's a 'coach'

Parkinson has had promotions, Johnson has been managing over seven years and not had one. Not even a f***ing playoff finish

I really didn't want him here :lol:

When he was first suggested by the OP as pure speculation my heart sunk, he was always a shite appointment. Deep down I don’t think any Sunderland supporter in the world thought otherwise.

He was (correctly) lambasted as an awful suggestion at the time by almost everyone.

I remember posting something about Johnson would be the one thing that could unite all fans as we would all agree he would be a shite appointment and it got a bucket load of likes at the time.

Then the next day it started to become apparent that it was actually happening and you had some of the same people turning around and defending the appointment!

Look he could surprise us but the evidence so far suggests he will be exactly what we thought he was. 4 wins in 12 league games from a pretty kind set of fixtures is desperate.

At the end of the day he ticks two big boxes for the club:

1) Free and therefore cheap
2) Knows he will never get a better job again so will do whatever the owners want/will be a puppet

He was (correctly) lambasted as an awful suggestion at the time by almost everyone.

I remember posting something about Johnson would be the one thing that could unite all fans as we would all agree he would be a shite appointment and it got a bucket load of likes at the time.

Then the next day it started to become apparent that it was actually happening and you had some of the same people turning around and defending the appointment!

Look he could surprise us but the evidence so far suggests he will be exactly what we thought he was. 4 wins in 12 league games from a pretty kind set of fixtures is desperate.

At the end of the day he ticks two big boxes for the club:

1) Free and therefore cheap
2) Knows he will never get a better job again so will do whatever the owners want/will be a puppet
He has a tendency to go on losing runs, could lose something like the next 5 league games on the trot, though we will be excellent in the game that doesn’t matter on Wednesday.

Back