Lee Hughes vs Graeme Swann

Status
Not open for further replies.

essex boy

Striker
Both guilty of drink driving, one is a national hero, the other is scum of the earth

Should top level sportsman be drinking at all, let alone drink driving

I appreciate Hughes killed someone, but is it ok for Swann because he didnt kill someone?

although Swann did wrong he didnt kill someone then drive off giving a lack of respect for human life.

So aye I suppose there is a difference

Both guilty of drink driving, one is a national hero, the other is scum of the earth

I appreciate Hughes killed someone, but is it ok for Swann because he didnt kill someone?

you should contact the victims family, they'll be thrilled to know how you feel

How man,Swanny was trying to buy a screwdriver to rescue a cat ffs!

Why cant the rich bastards just pay for a cab?

Bit low to stoop to this just to try and back up your dislike of Swann.

not at all.

Very apt to raise the issue with Notts County coming over tomorrow, where needless to say Hughes will get stick, whereas Swann will lap up the attention.

I dont think Swann is as good as what is being made out, ive never hid that.

although Swann did wrong he didnt kill someone then drive off giving a lack of respect for human life.

So aye I suppose there is a difference

which means in not so many words, its ok because he didnt kill anyone

not at all.

Very apt to raise the issue with Notts County coming over tomorrow, where needless to say Hughes will get stick, whereas Swann will lap up the attention.

I dont think Swann is as good as what is being made out, ive never hid that.

I'm not condoning Swann drink driving, but he (alledgedly) rushed home after a couple of glasses of wine to attend to a family emergency, Hughes hit a man, realised he was seriously injured/dead, and fucked off because he knew he was half cut.

If Hughes had just been pulled for being over the limit then I'm sure hardly anyone would class him as scum and give him stick.

I would quite happily knock you over whilst pissed

I'm not condoning Swann drink driving, but he (alledgedly) rushed home after a couple of glasses of wine to attend to a family emergency, Hughes hit a man, realised he was seriously injured/dead, and fucked off because he knew he was half cut.

If Hughes had just been pulled for being over the limit then I'm sure hardly anyone would class him as scum and give him stick.

Spot on. What an utterly pointless thread.

That may well have been the case, but how can you start judging a case by case basis. Drink Driving causes umpteen deaths per year, some get away with it some dont.

The issue IMO is one is vermon, one isnt, seems like double standards to me

That may well have been the case, but how can you start judging a case by case basis. Drink Driving causes umpteen deaths per year, some get away with it some dont.

One was stupid and foolish, the other was stupid, foolish, cowardly and senseless.

Neither can be condoned, both made mistakes, but Hughes made more and one very costly one.

The fact is that we don't know just how over the limit both were, IIRC Swann wasn't over the limit by a great deal, can't remember how bad Hughes was. There won't be many people on here who will never have had a 2 or 3 glasses or wine and pints and then drove home late at night.

I don't think they were tbh.

Hughes done a runner and hid for a day so he couldn't be tested, he was guilty of causing death by dangerous driving.

Poor Swanny was simply trying to rescue a cat - commendable action but poorly thought out.

One was stupid and foolish, the other was stupid, foolish, cowardly and senseless.

Neither can be condoned, both made mistakes, but Hughes made more and one very costly one.

The fact is that we don't know just how over the limit both were, IIRC Swann wasn't over the limit by a great deal, can't remember how bad Hughes was. There won't be many people on here who will never have had a 2 or 3 glasses or wine and pints and then drove home late at night.

Spot on - not sure why the op thought it was a good idea to kick off the thread,

What is your view on them both?

Off-spinner Swann, who is with the England team contesting the Ashes series in Australia, was stopped by officers on patrol in the West Bridgford area of Nottingham on April 2 and later charged with drink driving.

At a previous hearing Nottingham Magistrates' Court heard how he had enjoyed three or four glasses of white wine earlier in the evening to celebrate his birthday.

When he returned to his £350,000 detached house in West Bridgford, Nottinghamshire, he found one of his and wife Sarah's two cats stuck under the floorboards after builders had been working on their home.

Unable to find a screwdriver to undo the floorboards, Swann decided to drive his new white Porsche Cayenne to the nearest 24-hour Asda to buy a set of screwdrivers, the court heard.

could quite easily have ended in disaster but he is still a national treasure because it didnt :lol:

I don't think they were tbh.

Hughes done a runner and hid for a day so he couldn't be tested, he was guilty of causing death by dangerous driving.

Poor Swanny was simply trying to rescue a cat - commendable action but poorly thought out.

Spot on - not sure why the op thought it was a good idea to kick off the thread,

What is your view on them both?

I dont think professional sportsman should drink full stop. They are highly paid, have a short career and alcohol doesnt help their body prolong their career

Off-spinner Swann, who is with the England team contesting the Ashes series in Australia, was stopped by officers on patrol in the West Bridgford area of Nottingham on April 2 and later charged with drink driving.

At a previous hearing Nottingham Magistrates' Court heard how he had enjoyed three or four glasses of white wine earlier in the evening to celebrate his birthday.

When he returned to his £350,000 detached house in West Bridgford, Nottinghamshire, he found one of his and wife Sarah's two cats stuck under the floorboards after builders had been working on their home.

Unable to find a screwdriver to undo the floorboards, Swann decided to drive his new white Porsche Cayenne to the nearest 24-hour Asda to buy a set of screwdrivers, the court heard.

could quite easily have ended in disaster but he is still a national treasure because it didnt :lol:

To be honest, if I'd have drank the same, I wouldn't have felt untowardly pissed and if I'd been asked to rush home I wouldn't have been waiting around for a taxi.

Illegal - yes, foolish - possibly, disgusting immoral behaviour - not at all

perhaps the mods could ban Slol - behaviour which shouldnt be tolerated

To be honest, if I'd have drank the same, I wouldn't have felt untowardly pissed and if I'd been asked to rush home I wouldn't have been waiting around for a taxi.

Illegal - yes, foolish - possibly, disgusting immoral behaviour - not at all

running off is immoral like Hughes but taking your porche out after necking glasses of wine, hardly moral

why didnt he get a cab

essex boy said:

No it's not OK and Swann was an idiot who should have known better. But if you can't see the difference between 3mg over the 80mg limit, only driving up the road because a pet is trapped under the floorboards, and ploughing into another vehicle at high speed, and leaving the scene of the accident to escape justice, then you're an idiot.

Hence Hughes was sentenced to 6 years in prison while if convicted (there's doubt over the sample and he's got a good lawyer), Swann will get points and a ban at most. One smashed up several people's lives and tried to pervert the course of justice, the other should have called a taxi to help rescue his cat.

Of course it's quite possible you've only raised this point to be mean-spirited about England winning the Ashes which speaks volumes about you.

No it's not OK and Swann was an idiot who should have known better. But if you can't see the difference between 3mg over the 80mg limit, only driving up the road because a pet is trapped under the floorboards, and ploughing into another vehicle at high speed, and leaving the scene of the accident to escape justice, then you're an idiot.

Hence Hughes was sentenced to 6 years in prison while if convicted (there's doubt over the sample and he's got a good lawyer), Swann will get points and a ban at most. One smashed up several people's lives and tried to pervert the course of justice, the other should have called a taxi to help rescue his cat.

Of course it's quite possible you've only raised this point to be mean-spirited about England winning the Ashes which speaks volumes about you.

just interesting, both drink drive in high powered sports cars, one will be back at the SOL tomorrow reforming his career in lower league football, the other has a downing street reception awaiting him

perhaps the mods could ban Slol - behaviour which shouldnt be tolerated

running off is immoral like Hughes but taking your porche out after necking glasses of wine, hardly moral

why didnt he get a cab

How do you know he was necking them? :lol:

There is a difference between downing 3 or 4 glasses of wine in half an hour so to doing it in 3 or 4 hours which may have been the case here.

Pointless arguement anyway, no one is condoning either's behaviour but there are too many differences to compare the 2 incidents. As mentioned by CM, you are just being scrooge to England's ashes win and I don't know why you would bother.

How do you know he was necking them? :lol:

There is a difference between downing 3 or 4 glasses of wine in half an hour so to doing it in 3 or 4 hours which may have been the case here.

Pointless arguement anyway, no one is condoning either's behaviour but there are too many differences to compare the 2 incidents. As mentioned by CM, you are just being scrooge to England's ashes win and I don't know why you would bother.

thought it was quite topical

I wonder if there will be a few on the cricket board giving Hughes dogs abuse tomorrow whilst recovering from their hangover of celebreating Swanns achievements in Australia

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back