League 1 2020/21

Several well backed teams that are much better off than we are.
Several well backed teams like who? Nobody is going to be well backed in our division with the financial effects of covid19. It will be a battle of who can get the best free agents

You are Sunderland. 6 titles. 6 in a row against Mags. And now seems like cowering in the lower leagues with still the highest transfer budget and wage bill in the division. And definitely the biggest support.

I'm expecting midtable or worse, I've no confidence in Parkinson the recruitment team and even less in the arsehole owners.
I know I’m in the minority here but I actually have some confidence in Parkinson in getting us out of this league with a full season. I thought he done reasonably well with the hand he was dealt last season (under Ross I think we would have finished lower then we did) his signings in jan were very strange. Wright was a Brilliant loan but the full back seemed a good signing too with no money yet he didn’t play a minute.
I do think with a full summer with him his signings would make us a stronger side but only if he has the backing and can sign the players he wants. Only to get us out of this league though if we got promoted I would be looking for another manager, probably Mick Mack (again in the minority) purely on the basis the bloke can survive on the cheap and knows the league.

I know I’m in the minority here but I actually have some confidence in Parkinson in getting us out of this league with a full season. I thought he done reasonably well with the hand he was dealt last season (under Ross I think we would have finished lower then we did) his signings in jan were very strange. Wright was a Brilliant loan but the full back seemed a good signing too with no money yet he didn’t play a minute.
I do think with a full summer with him his signings would make us a stronger side but only if he has the backing and can sign the players he wants. Only to get us out of this league though if we got promoted I would be looking for another manager, probably Mick Mack (again in the minority) purely on the basis the bloke can survive on the cheap and knows the league.
I might be totally wrong about Parkinson and you may be right, but I've seen nothing and to install any confidence in him.

I’m not expecting promotion next year. I don’t think we’re strong enough in the positions we won’t strengthen. Centre midfield, both full backs and goalkeeper. We’ve got too many average league 1 players at the club and not many have much upside.

I am not even expecting the season to happen.

On the plus side, this is our longest unbeaten run for ages.

Straws to grasp at...
We are still a big fish in a small pond.
We need about 11 new players which could massively improve the team and as promoted teams have shown money isn't the issue.
Behind closed doors should reduce the amount of litter blowing around.

If the season is played, at this point I can't see us as better than upper mid table, maybe bothering the bottom of the playoffs. But I don't think they're going to play anyway.

I’m not expecting promotion next year. I don’t think we’re strong enough in the positions we won’t strengthen. Centre midfield, both full backs and goalkeeper. We’ve got too many average league 1 players at the club and not many have much upside.

How about you wait until recruitment is finished before making such remarks.

How about you wait until recruitment is finished before making such remarks.
I’ve already made the remark and I’m going off their intentions in January where they were were only interested in adding back up at left back and centre mid. It sounds like they’re adding a back up keeper too which would be weakening us

I am not even expecting the season to happen.

On the plus side, this is our longest unbeaten run for ages.

I wait with Baited breath but.....

Northern Echo:

An EFL board meeting this week came up with two proposed dates for a resumption of League One – August 29 or September 12 – although with a number of clubs extremely reluctant to play matches behind-closed-doors, much will depend on how the government’s social distancing regulations evolve over the next couple of months.

so how couldn't they finish the season then?
Because they didn't want to, not because they couldn't, if we'd been in the top 6 I'm sure we would have voted to finish the season. The we cant afford it statement was to justify their reason for voting to end the season
Several well backed teams like who? Nobody is going to be well backed in our division with the financial effects of covid19. It will be a battle of who can get the best free agents
It won't be us with our recruitment team.
We've had the biggest budget for 2 seasons and they still cant attract the best players in the league.

Last edited:

Back