Latest boxing crack

Kelly is really fast but needs to control it a bit more or he'll continue to burn out after a few rounds. He didn't seem to have much power either, will probably be a decent domestic fighter. The Mayweather style defence I'm not a fan of having the lead hand down.
This was always my worry with him before this fight/step up. He has shown some very worrying signs that he can't get lower level fighters out of there and has to cruise to points. So when he steps up, unless he conditions himself and sets tactics for 12 rounders, he does not have any chance at all past 7 rounds against elite.
There's nothing wrong with Kelly's style, ability, power or ability to take a punch. It's the fact that by the end of the third round he was entirely gassed. That's either a conditioning problem, an underlying health issue or both.

I have to say that there's been a couple of occasions now where I've seen him and he reminds me of De Gale in that he doesn't seem to do more than the minimum to win fights and struggles with a lively opponent.
Agree with all of that apart from power, it has been obvious for a while he does not carry much. He stands better chance tucking up like he did early against Avenesayan, counter punching and timing more.

Last edited:
This was always my worry with him before this fight/step up. He has shown some very worrying signs that he can't get lower level fighters out of there and has to cruise to points. So when he steps up, unless he conditions himself and sets tactics for 12 rounders, he does not have any chance at all past 7 rounds against elite.

Agree with all of that apart from power, it has been obvious for a while he does not carry much. He stands better chance tucking up like he did early against Avenesayan, counter punching and timing more.
The problem he has now is that it looks like his stamina issues are partially caused by being too big for the weight and cutting too much weight so he is going to have to move up but not having the power at 147lbs doesn't bode well for a move up.

What a mess the Parker vs Fa fight was, FA just holding all the time without even pointscoring. Could be judged as close but even me as a fan of defensive boxing, I was not impressed with so much grappling.

What a mess the Parker vs Fa fight was, FA just holding all the time without even pointscoring. Could be judged as close but even me as a fan of defensive boxing, I was not impressed with so much grappling.

There was far too much of that mind. It wasn't a good fight but it was a bit intriguing because it seemed close. I had Parker by 4 but thought the 115-113 was probably the most accurate card. The judge who only gave FA 1 round was ridiculous.

Exactly, another victim of Eddie Hearn's greed. Ritson, Charlie Edwards and Josh Kelly all moved up far too soon and end up getting schooled
Not sure marra
Charlie Edwards was a world champion having his second defence. Your gonna face topmlads. That’s the point when a world champ.

Ritson was on fire at British level and the pantera fight for the European titles was the natural step. Can’t keep them in cotton wool.

I agree kelly fight maybe too soon and predicted he get sparked but he and booth want see it.

Not a fan of hearn but But attach zero blame on the 3 above. He’s. The promoter not the trainer , advisor or manager.

Dammed if you do and dammed if you don’t.

Not sure marra
Charlie Edwards was a world champion having his second defence. Your gonna face topmlads. That’s the point when a world champ.

Ritson was on fire at British level and the pantera fight for the European titles was the natural step. Can’t keep them in cotton wool.

I agree kelly fight maybe too soon and predicted he get sparked but he and booth want see it.

Not a fan of hearn but But attach zero blame on the 3 above. He’s. The promoter not the trainer , advisor or manager.

Dammed if you do and dammed if you don’t.

Edwards lost to Casemiro first. That fight was definitely too soon for him but it was for a world title. I don't know if he was with Matchroom then like.

Last edited:
Edwards lost to Casemiro first. That fight was definitely too soon for him but it was for a world title. I don't know if he was with Matchroom then like.
It’s a world title. A world title Chance...these lads dream of that. That’s not Eddie hearns fault, as the promoter it’s his job.
Talking out his arse as it was Booth who picked the opponent.

Stuck with red and white tinted goggles on, he was blowing out his arse by the 5th, it's either a weight or a conditioning problem. Neither which are Matchroom's problems.
Agree with this....in terms of talking out his arse.
Gave it a massive swerve.

Last edited:
This is why i love boxing. Theres much more to it than two blokes fighting. The psychology is fascinating these gladiators going in there you don’t know what you’re going to get. That charlton lad on previously has an absolute granite chin, recovery powers, top engine, decent punch which got him so far upto now. Kelly has fast hands, movement, awkward style which has got him to another level without being troubled up until recently. Could go on but its class to watch fighters evolve. Its a very strange thing to get hurt fighting the whole adrenaline overload takes it back to the fight or flight no matter who you are. The buzz from fighting is beyond any narcotic and the fear to begin is just as powerful. To try and bottle that is incredibly difficult and i have the highest respect for any combat sport athlete that takes part.

This.

I love boxing but sometimes prefer the build-up, and back story more than the fight itself.

Class 25 minute show this about Prince Naseem Hamed..the songs are class.. The guy was pure box office in the 90s.... Even people who had a dislike of boxing knew who naseem was and people would tune into his bouts hoping he would be put on his arse...

Anybody bothering with Canelo Vs Yildrim?
Aye I've been paying for DAZN a while now so will get it on demand in the morning. Reckon Canelo will stop him 4th round.

Class 25 minute show this about Prince Naseem Hamed..the songs are class.. The guy was pure box office in the 90s.... Even people who had a dislike of boxing knew who naseem was and people would tune into his bouts hoping he would be put on his arse...
Loved Naz like, he got me watching boxing.

Aye I've been paying for DAZN a while now so will get it on demand in the morning. Reckon Canelo will stop him 4th round.

Loved Naz like, he got me watching boxing.
Aye I'll just be watching in the morning as well. Don't mind that Canelo is having to do this fight because it looks like he is just going to have a more active 12 months than in recent years with 3 fights between December and May then probably another in September.

Aye I'll just be watching in the morning as well. Don't mind that Canelo is having to do this fight because it looks like he is just going to have a more active 12 months than in recent years with 3 fights between December and May then probably another in September.
I know he's a nob etc but I'm looking forward to the Saunders fight in May.

He was ahead of his time. Fighting with your dominant hand in the front wasn't really heard of in Boxing back then.

De Le Hoya started at around the same time and his style is even rarer as he was left handed but fought orthodox.

Anybody bothering with Canelo Vs Yildrim?
DAZN replay first thing in the morning, they put it up as the first option on the app with no spoilers , you just have to fast forward to the start of the fight as it's the whole card.

Not expecting any surprises like. I did see Hearn's video showing the VIP area of the stadium, looked canny for those who can afford it! More like a garden party.

Didn't bother with the Parker fight this morning, I see Fa has been viewed as a gatekeeper to the Chisora rematch...

Back