Last album you listened to from start to finish?

Tangle Eye-Alan Lomaxs Southern Journey Remixed. 2002.

Great stuff. I’d forgotten I had this one as it’s been in the loft for six years or so.
A NYC studio remix project adding new music to the vocals recorded by renowned blues archivist Alan Lomax during his mic in hand tours of the American south from the 1920-60s. These were non commercial field recordings to preserve the work and prison songs of the south for iirc the Smithsonian. It’s where yer Led Zeppelins etc got their ideas from. Moby also used them to sample bits onto his own material in that huge selling album he had…..errrrh…..Play I think it was called.

Another keeper.

The Queen Is Dead was played all the way through when I was in The Crown Posada a week gone Thursday. No wonder the place was virtually empty.
Thank God for the Alan Lomaxes of this world, otherwise known as Alan Lomax.

And extra points for The Crown Posada.
I came across an online archive of Alan Lomax field recordings recently and hadn't previously realised that he also made recordings all over the UK including a whole bunch in Hetton!

Hetton-Le-Hole 12/53 | Lomax Digital Archive
Great find, super rendition of Wor Nanny's A Mazer, be a canny drink off between her and Cushie Butterfield

Last edited:

Uncle Tupelo-No Depression. 6/10.

Supposedly an Americana classic but that stuff doesn’t really do owt for me when sitting in the house. My old local used to get a lot of these type of bands on and yer man Hank Wangford, the feller from The Long Ryders and Chesney Hawkes would often be in watching them. Up n coming US bands on their first uk visit playing an unscheduled gig for beer money before they went home the next day.They were all good live but it’s not my thing. The kids in the bands all recommended this album and that’s why I bought it.

Not a keeper.

Listened to my old vinyl copy of Love - Da Capo
An album of two halves if ever there was one. The songs on Side 1 are as good as anything on Forever Changes however the 19 minute 'Revelation' on Side 2 still sounds absolutely appalling.

Listened to my old vinyl copy of Love - Da Capo
An album of two halves if ever there was one. The songs on Side 1 are as good as anything on Forever Changes however the 19 minute 'Revelation' on Side 2 still sounds absolutely appalling.
Around 40 minutes into the latest Rock's Back Pages episode, Sean O'Hagan High Llamas/Microdisney, talking about backing Arthur Lee up. Worth a listen E174: Sean O'Hagan on Microdisney + The High Llamas + The Beach Boys by Rock's Backpages

Back