Langley Park CC

I think they’re very unlikely to go from Langley where they’ve just been evicted to sharing a ground with the fella who has just evicted them
But would they let the club die if that was the only option? I was told wicket is still being looked after down there. Not sure about bear park - if nothing has been done to it for a few seasons doubt it would be ready by the new season.

I didn’t realise this guy had anything to do with houghton.

But would they let the club die if that was the only option? I was told wicket is still being looked after down there. Not sure about bear park - if nothing has been done to it for a few seasons doubt it would be ready by the new season.

I didn’t realise this guy had anything to do with houghton.
Me neither, I live within walking distance of Houghton CC, thought it was council run.

Me neither, I live within walking distance of Houghton CC, thought it was council run.
Council own and maintain the pitch and changing facilities at Houghton. The bloke in question owns the club house only. But has access access council land. So Langley could move there and not use the bar.

So, am I reading this right.......?

The bloke who owns/runs the bar at Houghton CC, also owns/runs the bar at Langley Park CC??

What’s the story in all of this?? I mentioned earlier that the bloke is (as I’ve been told) a c*nt, but I concede I really don’t know the full story. I’d be very grateful if someone could help me get up to speed on the whole situation. Either on here or via PM.

Cause what I do know, (or what I’ve been led to believe) is that this bloke is clearly very hostile towards cricketers.

Now, I’m no business guru, but surely if you run two pubs, both within the grounds of a cricket field, your best chance of making money is by getting as many of those cricketers and their families and friends and any spectators to the cricket, to buy your beer........

So how does the bloke think that alienating the majority of people who visit the cricket field is a good idea?!

The fields at Houghton are huge, separate cricket and football pitches. Incidentally, the cricket ground is (was) designed to be used to some extent by Durham as they became First Class, my father-in-law did a lot of the ground preparation, almost 30 years ago (SAFC trained thete for a while). The cricket club's demise was well documented on here a few years ago. But, yes, if you own a pub with a ready-made clientele, then do nothing to encourage them to drink there, it seems a bit odd.

The fields at Houghton are huge, separate cricket and football pitches. Incidentally, the cricket ground is (was) designed to be used to some extent by Durham as they became First Class, my father-in-law did a lot of the ground preparation, almost 30 years ago (SAFC trained thete for a while). The cricket club's demise was well documented on here a few years ago. But, yes, if you own a pub with a ready-made clientele, then do nothing to encourage them to drink there, it seems a bit odd.
In Langley park's case he wants to use the field with a marquee for weddings and for carnivals fairs etc. Clearly he thinks that will bring him more money in and has done pretty much everything he can to annoy the club and its members
Houghton should be thought of as an option in the short term as the pitches are still there and is getting cut, they could sell cans out of the tea hut etc and stick it to him. If Bear park is in ok Nick now then obviously it's the best solution in the long term.

I don't think this is a surprise to anyone at Langley to be fair, they where pretty sure it was going to happen.

Last edited:
I don't think this is a surprise to anyone at Langley to be fair, they where pretty sure it was going to happen.

If thats the case then i really hope they have been checking out bearpark on the quiet and doing any work necessary to make it work for them in 2019.

In Langley park's case he wants to use the field with a marquee for weddings and for carnivals fairs etc. Clearly he thinks that will bring him more money in and has done pretty much everything he can to annoy the club and its members
Houghton should be thought of as an option in the short term as the pitches are still there and is getting cut, they could sell cans out of the tea hut etc and stick it to him. If Bear park is in ok Nick now then obviously it's the best solution in the long term.

I'm sure with the help of the DCL Facebook page etc all opposing teams will boycott the bar if Langley sell their own stuff.

Remember running through wheat fields there :neutral:

The bloke at Langley did the bar out and makes a mint from functions. The cricket is not particularly lucrative so he has been trying to force them out. I know he fills the place on a Saturday for the 3pm kick offs. Might be worth a cheeky little phone call to the authorities....

Council own and maintain the pitch and changing facilities at Houghton. The bloke in question owns the club house only. But has access access council land. So Langley could move there and not use the bar.

It’s a lot more complex than that

No sure of the state of neglect can't see them having much chance to prepare good wickets

Would it not be wise to play all games away first season

Edit

Of course they can't because of seconds

Silly me

Last edited:
Absolutely shite state of affairs for the club. A fair few of my mates play for them and the owner of the bar seems a right knob. At least it should safeguard the future of the club having a new place to play.

Back