Keeping off the drink.

Found it easier when I didn't plan to.
I was in the Indian dry state of Gujarat, for 5 or 6 days once and couldn't be arsed to get some cans ( easy to get if you wanted) and drink them in my hotel room. Then I just continued until my wife turned up a week later.
The longest l went was in lockdown, staying at a Travelodge for three months. It was next door to a Tesco, would eat shit food and share a bottle of wine and a few beers.
But then the cricket started at 4.30 a.m UK time. The first day I had a hangover, so just stopped drinking, with breaks, the cricket was on for about six weeks and I didn't bother, then went a further couple of months without a drink. Considering I have at least one beer most nights, it was surprisingly easy not to drink at all.
Similar when I gave up smoking. I was on an oil refinery in winter with ten inches of snow on the ground, working on vessels about 20 metres in the air. Accessible by steel ladders.
You could only smoke in shipping containers scattered around the refinery. To smoke, you had to down tools, climb down the ladders and walk to the nearest one. At which point, blokes were stamping feet against the freezing cold and cadging lights. I thought this is desperate, so when I went to the pub that night, I got out my cigarettes, passed them round, then gave them away, I said "This is my last one ever". It was.

Had this flu/cold/cough since about 10th December but unhelpfully (although great at the time) carried on boozing since about Hull away and all games up till and including Blackpool away. Felt ok when on the drink now the cold etc back with a vengeance now so it’ll be a dry Jan for me and trying to get back into a reasonably healthy state

Was game as a badger for drying out for a few month. Lasted 4 days.

But for that half a week aye, I agree with you… was productive as owt on a morning. Yesterday and today I’ve just monged out and done FA.

Rosedene was very busy last night so many just ploughing on 😆

Hate the FEAR the next day when had a big session, prefer nowadays to just go out early doors for 5 or 6 then head home, luckily have good mates since teenagers and it’s always good crack

Morning folks,

It’s that time of year again when people are doing dry January again and fads like that.
I’m keeping off it if late mainly since I was bad in December with either flu or Covid I can’t get the taste for it.What I am enjoying though is the feeling of being absolutely sharp as a tack and fresh.This morning I’ve had breakfast,dropped our lass off at work,took the dog for a canny walk,cleaned the fire out and prepped to be lit later,washed a couple of dishes,hoovered and mopped the downstairs,made the bed all in that order.
If I’d had even a couple last night I’d not have done half of that.

Anyone else doing dry January/decided to treat alcohol more sensibly or even just gave it up completely?
The ringless sausages, wrist watch and Froot Shoot photos just won't work in the same way :D

Going out this afternoon for a session, last one before going back to work Monday after a fortnight off.

Then il be back to drinking weekends only if possible.

Morning folks,

It’s that time of year again when people are doing dry January again and fads like that.
I’m keeping off it if late mainly since I was bad in December with either flu or Covid I can’t get the taste for it.What I am enjoying though is the feeling of being absolutely sharp as a tack and fresh.This morning I’ve had breakfast,dropped our lass off at work,took the dog for a canny walk,cleaned the fire out and prepped to be lit later,washed a couple of dishes,hoovered and mopped the downstairs,made the bed all in that order.

Anyone else doing dry January/decided to treat alcohol more sensibly or even just gave it up completely?
Good more booze for us alcoholics & not having to worry bout any stock left wink

I love a drink but don’t enjoy the feeling of it in my system especially after the even which is obvious.I enjoy the social side of it and the taste.
I’ve always said if I found an non-alcoholic drink that was the same as the normal gear I’d drink that.

Drinking after night shift used to knack me, haven’t worked them for a few years now and there’s only been twice I can remember where I’ve felt a little bit groggy.

Surprisingly one of them was when I was out, that’s not happened for at least 20 years.
I blamed it on not having enough to eat before going out.

One of the things that probably helps is that I get tired before I get really pissed, I have nodded off in bars and on buses.

I once went flying down the aisle of the Fab56 when I fell asleep and it stopped at a bus stop.
I picked myself up and had a little chuckle to myself as I went back to my seat.

Tried since 1st. But drove for 6 hours yesterday so by the time I got to hotel I was clammin.

Home today and will stay off. Health kick from tomorrow.
Have a birthday next week but other than that going to try to stay off till end of Feb.

Morning folks,

I’m having a few weeks off because frankly I overdid it over Christmas and New Year and don’t even want to look at a pint yet. Was forcing it down on NYE.

When I fancy one again I’ll have one.

No drink since New Year's Day. It's part of a wider diet because I've become something of a fat knacker, working at home and that. Only exercise I do is fiddle with my wedding ring.

Been feeling rancid, but maybe a bit better this morning. I've got a mid month wine flight pencilled in, but other than that no booze while I lose the blubber.

Back