Just days after we're told the green man isn't long enough to cross, advice is now to walk faster...

Status
Not open for further replies.
...if you're middle aged and live a sedentary lifestyle.

Middle-aged people are being urged to walk faster to help stay healthy, amid concern high levels of inactivity may be harming their health.

Officials at Public Health England said the amount of activity people did started to tail off from the age of 40.

They are urging those between the ages of 40 and 60 to start doing regular brisk walks.

They say just 10 minutes a day could have a major impact, reducing the risk of early death by 15%.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-41030630

...if you're middle aged and live a sedentary lifestyle.

Middle-aged people are being urged to walk faster to help stay healthy, amid concern high levels of inactivity may be harming their health.

Officials at Public Health England said the amount of activity people did started to tail off from the age of 40.

They are urging those between the ages of 40 and 60 to start doing regular brisk walks.

They say just 10 minutes a day could have a major impact, reducing the risk of early death by 15%.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-41030630
Modern Green cross code--Look right, Look left--feckin jog on:lol:;)

We need to make exercise enjoyable. More people would take it up. Put them all on bikes, and wheel them out onto busy roads. Does fear burn extra calories ?
Seriously though, its like the state pension problem. It been known that obesity was a growing problem for at least a decade. Problem will keep getting worse till something drastic is done about it. Sugar tax, fat tax ? Refusing medical treatment until overweight patients loose weight ?
Teach kids about it in school.

I'm off out for a ride. To nice a day to sit at this PC.

It's specifically brisk walking to improve your health but it amazes me how little some people walk (or cycle) on a day to day basis.

I walk briskly. I want to get to places.

I suppose I'm lucky. Most things I want to go to are within 30 minutes walk. Sage Gateshead would be 40 minutes. happily stroll there if the weather is clement.

I walk briskly. I want to get to places.

I suppose I'm lucky. Most things I want to go to are within 30 minutes walk. Sage Gateshead would be 40 minutes. happily stroll there if the weather is clement.

I'm the same. Stick headphones on and march if I'm aiming to get somewhere but stroll if I'm taking in the srroundings.

I'm the same. Stick headphones on and march if I'm aiming to get somewhere but stroll if I'm taking in the srroundings.

I know you love your music and it sort of turns stuff into a film but I never do that. I like the sounds of what is around.

i might try it again, I have spotify on my phone and some decent earphones.

What about people with health problems/disabilities? What the f-ck is wrong with people in this country, I bet the tears flow down the streets when they suffer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back