Just 5 years ago, a sensational win at the SoL Vs Chelsea

Great game with great atmosphere, crazy how far we have fallen since. Almost forgot what it’s like to go to SoL and enjoy watching us play football.

The Sunderland view one is class , though a sad reminder of how it so quickly went wrong.

That week, Chelsea and Everton , is up there with the 4 game run in 77-78 as what it's like following our Club. You take all the shite and constant knock backs for fear you'd miss out when any of those days happen.

Came back twice from losing positions under BSA, and the roar when JD scores man, awesome.

The mags failed to beat useless Villa under the messiah Benitez, so the celebrations in town were rather pleasant after the game.
Lock up your telephone boxes and horses. Place Rothbury in lock-down as Gazza's going fishing. :D

That was a superb day. My FB memory is:

Massive three points, cracking goals, bairns birthday on the scoreboard, John Terry sent off - if Carlsberg did Saturdays......
Wow, I don’t remember terry getting sent off :lol:
The Sunderland view one is class , though a sad reminder of how it so quickly went wrong.

That week, Chelsea and Everton , is up there with the 4 game run in 77-78 as what it's like following our Club. You take all the shite and constant knock backs for fear you'd miss out when any of those days happen.
It’s crazy. We still talk about beating Chelsea 3-0 at their place like it was a cup final.
that’s not knocking the fans. it just makes you think, imagine if we won something

Last edited:
Knew as soon as the full-time whistle went that day we were safe. That Everton game the following Wednesday was one of the few times I've felt certain that we'd win a big game

Missed that game as my dad had an awful accident near the bridge walking on the way to the match. Thankfully he's still with us, is still a mlf and like the rest of the family has renewed for next season. Hard to believe that it's 5 years ago. Thankfully the memories of it have dimmed somewhat.
Good to hear. I remember the incident

Remember this one @Chad the game that more or less relegated you because Rafa couldn’t mastermind a win at already relegated Villa?
Not a mag buddy, been a season ticket holder at Stadium Of Light for 12 years. I'm just saying the truth which is that Newcastle is far superior to us at the moment.

That was my Stag weekend. Had a load of mates from Edinburgh down - they all said it was the best football game they had ever seen

Metting up with my 3 Mag mates in the Centurion at Central Station after the game was something else like 😂

I still remember the atmosphere in the second half and the noise when Defoe scored. The only time in 30 plus years of following the lads that I felt as if I was going to faint/ fall over after a goal (when not pissed anyway). Not sure if it was the noise or the emotion got to me but after jumping around like an idiot for a minute or so, I collapsed into my seat and felt like I was going to pass out. Sure it felt like the stadium was actually moving under my feet. Worth every second mind.

Back