June 21st

If the Public Health England data regarding the vaccines is accurate then there shouldn't be any further need for lockdowns due to COVID ever again. Something about all of this really isn't adding up

There's definitely a significant portion of the UK scientific community who are showing themselves to be as shameless a bunch of opportunists as the current Tory government. It's all well and good them saying stuff like that but they obviously couldn't give a shite about people whose livelihoods would be impacted by this.

If the Public Health England data regarding the vaccines is accurate then there shouldn't be any further need for lockdowns due to COVID ever again. Something about all of this really isn't adding up

There's definitely a significant portion of the UK scientific community who are showing themselves to be as shameless a bunch of opportunists as the current Tory government. It's all well and good them saying stuff like that but they obviously couldn't give a shite about people whose livelihoods would be impacted by this.
You may find that many of the scientists have certain political leanings. They have had a whiff of power and are building on it.
The cynical side of me thinks they have a foothold within the political arena and see it as a point scoring opportunity.
It wouldn’t be the first time influential people have hi jacked a wider issue for short political gain.

I got called for saying this 8 months back. The days of normality during winter time are over.

No you didn’t. You didn’t call anything. You repeated something already being discussed. You’re not a savant you’re just miserable as sin and won’t listen to reason.

Re-read what she said.

We MAY need lockdowns. It DEPENDS on hospitalisations.

Last edited:

I can’t even go to my son’s sports day. This is not about a virus that’s why it doesn’t make sense

Why didn't Handcocked tell Boris and co that the variants though more transmissable, are weaker than the original Kent variant?

We could have been free by Monday :(

Why didn't Handcocked tell Boris and co that the variants though more transmissable, are weaker than the original Kent variant?

We could have been free by Monday :(

What evidence do you have that subsequent variants are 'weaker' than the alpha variant?

The Delta variant for example, is considered by PHE to be associated with a greater risk of hospitalisation. The Delta variant is the dominant variant in the UK.

If it's associated with a greater risk of hospitalisation, how can it be weaker?

In PHE's words, from this report published five days ago: (https://assets.publishing.service.g...ants_of_Concern_VOC_Technical_Briefing_15.pdf)

"early data from both England and Scotland demonstrate an increased risk of hospitalisation with Delta compared to Alpha"

"Using stratified Cox proportional hazard regression, there was a significantly increased risk of hospitalisation within 14 days of specimen date (HR 2.26, 95% CI 1.32-3.89, p=0.003), and emergency care attendance or hospitalisation within 14 days (HR 1.45,95% CI 1.08-1.95, p=0.015), for Delta cases compared to Alpha cases after adjustment for confounders (age, sex, ethnicity, area of residence, index of multiple deprivation, week of specimen date, vaccination status and international travel within 14 days prior to specimen date)."

It won’t be up to her as she isn’t that important. I don’t know why she is being interviewed on Andrew Marr in the first place.

Also don’t know what benefit she sees in announcing to the public that “we might turn society upside down again in 6 months but I’ve no idea really”.

Some of these people have got far too carried away with themselves with all the attention they’ve been getting.

If the bbc wants to platform politicians and health officials who’ll talk about what’s being done to fund the nhs, what’s being done to sort out care homes etcetc then I’d be quite interested in that.

Instead it’s a relentless parade of these attention seeking tossers spreading panic and anger with their baseless Mystic Meg covid predictions. Great how there’s now an assumption that we’ll just bring society to a halt to sort out a health crisis, rather than funding the health service properly.

We urgently need to tell these attention seeking tossers to fuck off.

It won’t be up to her as she isn’t that important. I don’t know why she is being interviewed on Andrew Marr in the first place.

Also don’t know what benefit she sees in announcing to the public that “we might turn society upside down again in 6 months but I’ve no idea really”.

Some of these people have got far too carried away with themselves with all the attention they’ve been getting.

If the bbc wants to platform politicians and health officials who’ll talk about what’s being done to fund the nhs, what’s being done to sort out care homes etcetc then I’d be quite interested in that.

Instead it’s a relentless parade of these attention seeking tossers spreading panic and anger with their baseless Mystic Meg covid predictions. Great how there’s now an assumption that we’ll just bring society to a halt to sort out a health crisis, rather than funding the health service properly.

Agree with most of what you said, but funding would be fine at present levels if people took on personal responsibilty and didn't wreck their bodies with excess living, knowing that the NHS will pick up the pieces.

Cradle to grave is being abused by millions.

That's a pretty unfair comment to make on the whole mate. I'm not sure if you're just frustrated with the whole lockdown situation or what, but some of that isn't quite right.

She was asked a question and gave an honest answer. Do you want to be lied to, or have the media give softball questions to politicians to tell us what they think we want to hear?

The reality is that we do not know what winter will bring. She was pretty clear in that she said she didn't know, but it would depend on hospitalisations. If we found ourselves in the terrible situation of having more COVID-related hospital admissions than we can cope with, what else do we do?

It's easy to say we should fund hospitals properly and sort out care homes, but funding the NHS properly isn't something that can be done overnight. We can't spend money now to allow us to get through a third wave...money spent now on increasing the number of doctors and nurses and hospitals and beds would take 10, maybe 15 years to reach full effect. Today's medical students won't be practicing medicine for another five years and won't be GPs or consultants for 10-15 years.

The only panic and anger generated from her comments are from people such as yourself who haven't taken the time to appreciate what she's said, or have jumped in two-footed, being already wound up by however frustrating lockdown has personally been.

I don't think it's fair to call her an attention seeking tosser or tell her to fuck off. Rather I'd say you need to take a look at yourself and your own response first.

That's a pretty unfair comment to make on the whole mate. I'm not sure if you're just frustrated with the whole lockdown situation or what, but some of that isn't quite right.

She was asked a question and gave an honest answer. Do you want to be lied to, or have the media give softball questions to politicians to tell us what they think we want to hear?

The reality is that we do not know what winter will bring. She was pretty clear in that she said she didn't know, but it would depend on hospitalisations. If we found ourselves in the terrible situation of having more COVID-related hospital admissions than we can cope with, what else do we do?

It's easy to say we should fund hospitals properly and sort out care homes, but funding the NHS properly isn't something that can be done overnight. We can't spend money now to allow us to get through a third wave...money spent now on increasing the number of doctors and nurses and hospitals and beds would take 10, maybe 15 years to reach full effect. Today's medical students won't be practicing medicine for another five years and won't be GPs or consultants for 10-15 years.

The only panic and anger generated from her comments are from people such as yourself who haven't taken the time to appreciate what she's said, or have jumped in two-footed, being already wound up by however frustrating lockdown has personally been.

I don't think it's fair to call her an attention seeking tosser or tell her to fuck off. Rather I'd say you need to take a look at yourself and your own response first.

“I dont know”

That’s the only bit she needed to say. Didn’t need to add anything at all to that.

But she did and now she’s trending on Twitter and getting quoted by journalists. Which is exactly what you would expect when someone comes out with something like that live on bbc1.

She’s now pushed the idea of another lockdown in 6 months into the public consciousness despite there being no basis for it whatsoever. It’s completely irresponsible behaviour, and entirely typical of the way large sections of her profession have acted over the last year.

“I dont know”

That’s the only bit she needed to say. Didn’t need to add anything at all to that.

But she did and now she’s trending on Twitter and getting quoted by journalists. Which is exactly what you would expect when someone comes out with something like that live on bbc1.

She’s now pushed the idea of another lockdown in 6 months into the public consciousness despite there being no basis for it whatsoever. It’s completely irresponsible behaviour, and entirely typical of the way large sections of her profession have acted over the last year.

She said what the basis would be though - hospitalisations.

Fundamentally I think this comes to an ideological disagreement over how the media should handle scientific advisors, but it seems that you want them to if not outright lie to the media, certainly hide the truth?

Same PHE women has just said

"Covid restrictions are more likely to end if 70% of adults are vaccinated by 19 July"

But some people are refusing, then are complaining & not accepting responsibility for being locked down.

Back