June 21st

Was he not talking about getting through the backlog of other stuff?

Even if covid hospital cases are quite small, the NHS are going to be snowed under for next few years trying to get on top of the waiting lists
He couldn't have been talking about anything else mate TBH. It was just an example of it not fitting the narrative on the day. It was like he had gone up jungle on a pre-arranged interview.

Being a glass half full type of bloke i find the cancelling of the NHC very concerning. This is an on-street, open air shindig that is predominantly free for participants(so no ticketing/refund/cancellation clauses to manouvre around). The fact that it is still more than two months away doesn't fill you with much hope. Hopefully, this from the Evening Standard is a proof-read error
The delay to July 19 of step four of the roadmap, known as “freedom day”, including the easing of restrictions on social contact and large events, means there is “so much uncertainty” and makes “the risk of eventual cancellation a real possibility”, they said

Every year there is a legitimate winter peak / strain on the NHS , but there's no doubt it was a political issue before COVID and it'll only increase. The December 2019 election was , second to Brexit, driven by the debate on the NHS and pictures of the young lad on the waiting room floor.

What "worries" me or that I suspect will happen, is it will be politically expedient for the Labour party to suggest or for the Tories to implement restrictions over winter to do everything to cover themselves (politically) against the usual focus. I just cannot see how restrictions won't be brought back over winter.
I have my doubts over a winter restriction. I was thinking it was going to be late september before everyone is fully vaccinated and past the 2-3 week period for maximum effect. With 18 year olds to book now, that could be even closer. Though that does exclude kids.

Deaths and hospitalisations should be pretty low by then. I think in those circumstances, that is as back to normal as we are ever going to get. We can’t go on like this. If vaccinations work it should end. They can’t lockdown without justification and this is a government that has always tried to be popular. People will not accept another missed Christmas if the numbers do not support it. There was enough resentment last Christmas and that was with cases and deaths going through the roof.

I think people need to stop reading into things like the NHC being cancelled and drawing a load of negative conclusions. There is uncertainty at the moment. We all know that. On that basis alone I suspect its been cancelled.

Let's just see how things go over the next couple of weeks. In the meantime, get jabbed if you haven't, and just chill out and enjoy the Euros.

*Fairly confident I'll be on some thread kicking off about how incompetent boris Johnson is by the time the weekend is over mind.

That was because the daft twat dangled a 5 day Jamboree in their faces then had to cancel it. What on earth possessed him, i do not know. Popularism, as you say.
That and school is safe, case numbers are fine, this government will take legal action against any school that closes early for Christmas or does not return on the 4th Jan. It is the 4th Jan today, get your kids to school this morning, remember head teachers, your jobs are on the line if you don't fully staff your schools, everything is fine, nothing to see here, we are locking down for 6 months, please keep your kids off school.

A Christmas fun break was one thing when cases were going through the roof and the virus doesn't take Christmas off. But the schools was an enormous u-turn on the same day, with announcements only hours apart. He literally must have gone from is breakfast pleas to get people to school, to a meeting about closing them. There was not even a though that with restrictions, most families and children would have been mostly isolated with half the country in tier 4, you then shove them all together for one day and then isolate again. That is the perfect way to spread it needlessly. It was just the highest order of indefensible stupidity.

With conflicting views on how much of a threat covid is, what works, what doesn't, how you should handle it etc, people disagree. But a moron in the middle flapping one way or another, really does not help the public pull together. A bit like Brexit. Massive arguments for 5 years, but good or bad it is done, got to make the best of it, so to keep the arguments alive lets implement it stupidly.

And he still has a lot of support. It really makes me wonder at times.

That and school is safe, case numbers are fine, this government will take legal action against any school that closes early for Christmas or does not return on the 4th Jan. It is the 4th Jan today, get your kids to school this morning, remember head teachers, your jobs are on the line if you don't fully staff your schools, everything is fine, nothing to see here, we are locking down for 6 months, please keep your kids off school.

A Christmas fun break was one thing when cases were going through the roof and the virus doesn't take Christmas off. But the schools was an enormous u-turn on the same day, with announcements only hours apart. He literally must have gone from is breakfast pleas to get people to school, to a meeting about closing them. There was not even a though that with restrictions, most families and children would have been mostly isolated with half the country in tier 4, you then shove them all together for one day and then isolate again. That is the perfect way to spread it needlessly. It was just the highest order of indefensible stupidity.

With conflicting views on how much of a threat covid is, what works, what doesn't, how you should handle it etc, people disagree. But a moron in the middle flapping one way or another, really does not help the public pull together. A bit like Brexit. Massive arguments for 5 years, but good or bad it is done, got to make the best of it, so to keep the arguments alive lets implement it stupidly.

And he still has a lot of support. It really makes me wonder at times.
Hopefully last night's by-election result is a sign that the tide is finally starting to turn.

Sure there will be some northern shit hole replacing it as a Tory gain soon and the result in Amersham will be swept under the carpet. Probably Batley, when’s that one?

Last edited:
is that the message though?

i read my fair share on the subject and i'm not really picking that up as the message. it rarely gets mentioned that its the unvaccinated that are getting seriously ill, if that is even the case?
PHE have released a report today which has shown that it’s unvaccinated people who are accounting for the vast majority of vaccinations and it’s been all over the news on 5 live over the last few hours so the bbc are highlighting it at least.

PHE have released a report today which has shown that it’s unvaccinated people who are accounting for the vast majority of vaccinations and it’s been all over the news on 5 live over the last few hours so the bbc are highlighting it at least.
Their main channel and Sky should be all over that.

They won't be though

Back