Jumper on Wearmouth Bridge

It's amazing that people don't feel like there's anyone they can turn to but the nuances of mental health issues mean they can't see any hope. It's also amazing the small things that can tip people over the edge.

Burnt toast is one that sticks in my mind. I might have read it on here but I'm not sure.

The man burnt his toast and was going to commit suicide. Sounds daft doesn't it? But the burnt toast was the final straw in a series of other issues that hadn't been dealt with and it just all came to a head when he burned his toast. Makes you think.

Nobody needs to feel alone. There is help there if you need it. Take care of each other xx

Burnt toast is one that sticks in my mind. I might have read it on here but I'm not sure.

The man burnt his toast and was going to commit suicide. Sounds daft doesn't it? But the burnt toast was the final straw in a series of other issues that hadn't been dealt with and it just all came to a head when he burned his toast. Makes you think.

Nobody needs to feel alone. There is help there if you need it. Take care of each other xx

The final thing that throws someone over the edge is rarely the thing that causes the issue. TBH, there's rarely one thing that causes the problem.

It was me who posted about that bloke.

I had a great experience with the Crisis Team the other night. On hold for best part of 20 minutes then when the person spoke to them was told they’d be fine till morning and to call back again then. History of self harm and said they’d stab themselves when left alone, but because they’d just handed over the pills they were originally going to use, it was all good apparently. Easy to see why cries for help like this are needed.

I saw a lad jump off two years ago now. Posted at the time that there should be these barries up to prevent it. A few posters commented that putting them up would only shift suicidal people into areas less populated and therefore more likely to follow through with it. You cant have a suicide hotspot in the city centre its not fair on the people driving by or those below witnessing.

Stop the bridges they’d only do it somewhere else.
It’s not the main issue, is it?

Yup it's a snowball effect. The other day my cooker ring blew up, tripped the switch, got the cooker working again and burnt our tea, then I ordered tea and the driver took an aggressive tone with me when I saw him deliver it to the wrong house.
I was at the end of my tether, I had to switch off mentally for a bit as some of the stuff I thought about was scary tbh.
I'm okay now, but for a bit I was frantic.

The way mental health services are in this country, unfortunately, one of the only ways to get to the top of a very long list is to attempt to commit suicide.

I have known 4 people who have committed suicide because they couldn't continue with life and none of them hung around for someone to help them, (One was off Wearmouth bridge and he just took a running jump).

There is a way to stop people from jumping from the bridge apart from putting more money in to mental health would be to install anti-suicide barriers as below

Logon or register to see this image
They’ve got them on the viaduct in Consett and people still manage to jump. It’s much more difficult but theres little turning back or talking down at that point but it doesn’t wholly prevent them.

It was me who posted about that bloke.

I had a great experience with the Crisis Team the other night. On hold for best part of 20 minutes then when the person spoke to them was told they’d be fine till morning and to call back again then. History of self harm and said they’d stab themselves when left alone, but because they’d just handed over the pills they were originally going to use, it was all good apparently. Easy to see why cries for help like this are needed.
That's a bit unfair. I think the Crisis Team is overstretched and have to make very difficult choices. I can see your frustration though.

The way mental health services are in this country, unfortunately, one of the only ways to get to the top of a very long list is to attempt to commit suicide.

I have known 4 people who have committed suicide because they couldn't continue with life and none of them hung around for someone to help them, (One was off Wearmouth bridge and he just took a running jump).

There is a way to stop people from jumping from the bridge apart from putting more money in to mental health would be to install anti-suicide barriers as below

Logon or register to see this image
They'd go elsewhere, possibly more remote, less chance of someone seeing/talking them down

Edit, hadn't read full thread and saw this had been mentioned.

Last edited:
That's a bit unfair. I think the Crisis Team is overstretched and have to make very difficult choices. I can see your frustration though.
They definitely are overworked and overstretched, as are the Street Triage Team. With regards to their difficult decisions, the lack of services mean that the threshold is ridiculously high to receive immediate help. The person on the other end of the phone can only go off the scores that are set higher up.

I hope my post didn’t come across as a dig against the individuals who work for the Crisis Team.

The wife is a clinical psychologist and has recently got a new job as a service lead, so I have a bit of insight into how knackered everything is.

They definitely are overworked and overstretched, as are the Street Triage Team. With regards to their difficult decisions, the lack of services mean that the threshold is ridiculously high to receive immediate help. The person on the other end of the phone can only go off the scores that are set higher up.

I hope my post didn’t come across as a dig against the individuals who work for the Crisis Team.

The wife is a clinical psychologist and has recently got a new job as a service lead, so I have a bit of insight into how knackered everything is.
I've got a lot of friends that work in mental health including street triage and the crisis team. They understand the frustration.

Is there another word we could use instead of jumper? Serious question. The term just seems a bit flippant to me. Not that I’m suggesting that the op or others are using it in that way.
In any case I hope the lad gets the help he wants/needs.

Person would be a better word. That's what they are first and foremost.

The SMB is entirely to blame for my train of thought here but every time I see "Jumper on Wearmouth Bridge" I instantly think "Is it chunky knit?"

They certainly seem incredibly over-stretched, and that's a tragedy in itself; my experience on a number of times (work, not personal) mirrors that of @Baloo and is incredibly frustrating.

Our lass says the same about the crisis team. What it seems as an outsider is we have loads of organisations that need to work together such as the Police, NHS, Crisis team and social workers finding themselves extremely stretched meaning they have to make difficult decisions which impact on the others leading to frustrations like that. Most people in all these roles will be working very hard but all working under alot of pressure with not enough resources to be able to do everything they should be able to.

One of my most vivid memories of my teenage years was going to my cousins flat days after he'd committed suicide.

The glass above the door frame that he'd smashed to tie a noose around. The stool he'd stepped onto, still tipped over on the floor.

Just a massive, tragic loss that could have been prevented with a little more understanding of mental health issues and proper funded support.

One of my most vivid memories of my teenage years was going to my cousins flat days after he'd committed suicide.

The glass above the door frame that he'd smashed to tie a noose around. The stool he'd stepped onto, still tipped over on the floor.

Just a massive, tragic loss that could have been prevented with a little more understanding of mental health issues and proper funded support.

Bloody hell...
Very sorry for your loss, and that you had to go through that too. Very sad.

Back