Jumper on Wearmouth Bridge

Is there another word we could use instead of jumper? Serious question. The term just seems a bit flippant to me. Not that I’m suggesting that the op or others are using it in that way.
In any case I hope the lad gets the help he wants/needs.
I know what you mean…was thinking what to refer to him as. A phrase I’ve seen repeatedly and do think they could be better titled.

Goes without saying hope he’s ok and as you say gets the help he needs.

Is there another word we could use instead of jumper? Serious question. The term just seems a bit flippant to me. Not that I’m suggesting that the op or others are using it in that way.

I know what you mean. It always makes me think that someone has left a hoodie behind. Not sure how you could adequately describe it though. Hope they're all right.

Drove past before the police arrived and a woman was talking to him, only a young lad, poor lad wonder what drives you to be that desperate

The way mental health services are in this country, unfortunately, one of the only ways to get to the top of a very long list is to attempt to commit suicide.

I have known 4 people who have committed suicide because they couldn't continue with life and none of them hung around for someone to help them, (One was off Wearmouth bridge and he just took a running jump).

There is a way to stop people from jumping from the bridge apart from putting more money in to mental health would be to install anti-suicide barriers as below

Logon or register to see this image

Pullovers ;)

Sorry! .. someone had to say it, but in all honesty, this happening more and more. Pleased we have the Mental Hub Hub at the Beacon on Matchdays.. All he'll want is someone to talk to

The way mental health services are in this country, unfortunately, one of the only ways to get to the top of a very long list is to attempt to commit suicide.

I have known 4 people who have committed suicide because they couldn't continue with life and none of them hung around for someone to help them, (One was off Wearmouth bridge and he just took a running jump).

There is a way to stop people from jumping from the bridge apart from putting more money in to mental health would be to install anti-suicide barriers as below

I saw a lad jump off two years ago now. Posted at the time that there should be these barries up to prevent it. A few posters commented that putting them up would only shift suicidal people into areas less populated and therefore more likely to follow through with it. You cant have a suicide hotspot in the city centre its not fair on the people driving by or those below witnessing.

Unfortunately I think if someone is going to do it they'll find another way.

I saw a lad jump off two years ago now. Posted at the time that there should be these barries up to prevent it. A few posters commented that putting them up would only shift suicidal people into areas less populated and therefore more likely to follow through with it. You cant have a suicide hotspot in the city centre its not fair on the people driving by or those below witnessing.
This leads to some interesting points in my eyes, I personally believe that 95% of people who threaten to jump off such a public bridge are doing so to gain access to mental health services.

If these types of barriers were installed on the bridges in Sunderland it would stop people possibly being traumatized by watching someone threatening/jumping off the bridge which is positive at the end of the day, but it means people who might be in need of mental health services but are unable to access them due to the long wait times end up trying to commit suicide in less public spaces and are not saved. so it gives you a catch 22 scenario, where you are dammed if you do something and dammed if you don't, at the end of the day if someone wants to end their life then they will find a way to do it....

Always saddens me massively when I hear this happening. A mate of mine jumped about ten years ago, me and @Wilfy were at his funeral and it was so preventable when you hear about the stuff that he was obviously worried about. I’m sure it’s like that in most of these cases, if only they could see the bigger picture :(

It's amazing that people don't feel like there's anyone they can turn to but the nuances of mental health issues mean they can't see any hope. It's also amazing the small things that can tip people over the edge.

If they don’t jump they are often called, cardigans, - not quite jumpers.
Yes it’s our dark humour …..

For info the lad was taken into care.

Back