Jumper on Wearmouth Bridge

Is there another word we could use instead of jumper? Serious question. The term just seems a bit flippant to me. Not that I’m suggesting that the op or others are using it in that way.
In any case I hope the lad gets the help he wants/needs.

Agree. A jumper someone to me, implies that the person in question is in some way a lesser mortal than ourselves, we probably do it all the time without realising it, categorising people, druggie, benefit scrounger etc. I doubt the person has every tried to jump off the Wearmouth Bridge before, therefore how can they be given a name such as a jumper?, It could be any one of us in that position in the future, maybe not today, but maybe tomorrow. You never know what is around the corner that could make you flip, missus leaves you for another bloke, lose job, illness, bereavement etc

Stop the bridges they’d only do it somewhere else.
It’s not the main issue, is it?
Depends who you ask the woman and daughter stopping their car on the bridge and running down the road. The council workers having their food underneath the bridge. The woman and son walking over the bridge and ambulance crew who were on their way to another emergency.

Years ago, long time back, a young lad from South hylton jumped from claxheugh rock, he was a deep kid, quiet, sensitive, thoughtful, no indications beforehand.
That's it mate, it's secluded so if they are thinking about it there's a chance someone may see and talk them out of it. There's no good situation.

Depends who you ask the woman and daughter stopping their car on the bridge and running down the road. The council workers having their food underneath the bridge. The woman and son walking over the bridge and ambulance crew who were on their way to another emergency.
People don’t just jump off bridges to kill themselves in public.

Fingers crossed for a safe ending for all involved and hope the emergency service responders are OK as well. Must be traumatic dealing with it as often as they do.

Always reach out if you need to lads and lasses

Good news, yeah.

Thought as much as when we came back over the bridge, about five minutes later, all three fire engines drove past us.

I seen them dragging somebody up off the floor and into the ambulance. I'm assuming they must have hurled him back over.

Now the hard work starts. Getting them from this lowest point in their life. Hopefully they get the help they need.
Certainly a sobering thought seeing them over the railings driving past after having a decent day.

Some people are in horrible places. Hope they get the help they need.

I was just walking across the bridge and I saw a lad put his bike down and was gesturing. I took my headphones out and asked if he was ok, he asked me to repeat myself and he said "no I'm totally fine mate, I'm just paying tribute to me mate who jumped off", his gesturing turned out to be unzipping his jacket and getting a joint out to have a smoke.

everything was fine after a shake of hands 😃

Back