Jordan Henderson

I can't remember who it was against at home but he was doing this thing where the other team was running at him, he was sticking his arms out by his side, then sidestepping and letting the player past. Just allowing them through. It was happening time and time again and Bruce was doing nowt about it like he was afraid of upsetting his wonder kid. The other team had him sussed and we were rightly getting carved apart through the centre. It coincided with our post Christmas slump and I remember screaming at him to just stand his f***ing ground.

The SMB was polarised about him at the time, so we weren't alone mate, short memories on here. That being said I'm delighted for Henderson and all he's achieved, I'm also a Farra school lad. He clearly needed some strong influences around him to pick him up on the little fhings. Staying here might have knackered him altogether.
He’d have been yet another promising young un who faded into obscurity has he stayed here. Best thing ever moving where he did when he did.

I didn’t see it at first. But my god. What a player. Most underrated in the league this year, possibly in the Prem ever. He’s player of the year for me. Scholes >Hendo>Gerrard>Lampard

i was one. I was f***ing brain dead. Sure I made a post saying colback was better hahaha.

Henderson is class and has been for some time, and I'm glad hes finally getting the recognition. Not a chance is he better than Gerrard and Lampard in their day mind. They could do everything he can but scored 20 goals a season on top. We haven't seen the like of either of them since. Monsters.

I didn’t see it at first. But my god. What a player. Most underrated in the league this year, possibly in the Prem ever. He’s player of the year for me. Scholes >Hendo>Gerrard>Lampard

i was one. I was f***ing brain dead. Sure I made a post saying colback was better hahaha.
:lol:

Henderson is class and has been for some time, and I'm glad hes finally getting the recognition. Not a chance is he better than Gerrard and Lampard in their day mind. They could do everything he can but scored 20 goals a season on top. We haven't seen the like of either of them since. Monsters.

Neither got anywhere in an England shirt, hendo got to the WC semis...

Neither got anywhere in an England shirt, hendo got to the WC semis...

There's so many variables involved in that argument it barely makes it relevant. The first being we've never had an easier ride to a Semi-final than in the last tournement. Gerrard and co had to beat a Brazil side in the quarters consisting of Ronaldinho, Ronaldo and Roberto Carlos.

There's so many variables involved in that argument it barely makes it relevant. The first being we've never had an easier ride to a Semi-final than in the last tournement. Gerrard and co had to beat a Brazil side in the quarters consisting of Ronaldinho, Ronaldo and Roberto Carlos.
Gerrard missed that world cup through injury... which is another thing Henderson has on him

It wouldn't surprise me if Jordan Henderson became Sunderland manager at some point once he hangs up his boots. He's a real leader.

Jordan Henderson has finally earned his place as a Liverpool great
Not that long ago Jordan Henderson was distinctly unpopular with Liverpool fans, the feeling being he wasn’t fit to lace the boots of Steven Gerrard. But Henderson has grown into his role as leader, and in a star-studded team he’s the glue which keeps everything together. Now, he’s finally getting some long-awaited recognition for it.

By Tom Bodell, Football Whispers
7th Jan 2020, 10:57 AM
The 2011 summer transfer window was not a vintage one for Liverpool Football Club.

In fact, for a long time, it probably represented one of the worst periods of player trading in the Merseysiders’ illustrious history; a damning indictment of where the Reds were following the near-ruinous reign of Tom Hicks and George Gillett.

That summer, Kenny Dalglish brought Charlie Adam, Doni, Stewart Downing, Jose Enrique, Sebastian Coates, Craig Bellamy and Jordan Henderson to Anfield. While Bellamy was already popular and proved successful in his second stint, the rest were deemed not up to scratch and slowly dispersed.

Not Henderson though. The former Sunderland midfielder, signed for $30.3million, stuck around and has done until this day. He’s now the club’s captain, a Champions League winner and, in a star-studded team, one of the most important players at Jurgen Klopp’s disposal.

But how did the quiet lad with the ‘odd gait’ from the North East become a modern-day Liverpool great? Our friends at Football Whispers chart Henderson’s rise.

Optus Sport

@OptusSport
"I'm delighted I can take this medal home for (dad)."

An emotional Jordan Henderson remembers the promise he made to his dad, speaking with @OptusSport's @schwarzer_mark.#OptusSport #UCLfinal

8:50 AM - Jun 2, 2019
Twitter Ads info and privacy
45 people are talking about this
It could all have been so different for Henderson. After a single unremarkable season at Anfield, incoming manager Brendan Rodgers told him he could leave to join Fulham as part of a prospective deal which would see Clint Dempsey move in the opposite direction.

Henderson dug his heels in and remained at Liverpool, determined to prove his new boss wrong. It was a smart decision. By the end of the 2012/13 campaign, he’d changed Rodgers’ perception of him enough to make 44 appearances in all competitions with a series of whole-hearted and energetic displays.

He had not, though, entirely won over the Anfield crowd. Still only 23, Henderson was very much in the shadow of all-action skipper and Liverpool icon Steven Gerrard. While Stevie G’s legs might have been going, Henderson did not possess the dynamism, panache or game-changing instinct of the club’s favourite son.

Being associated with Dalglish’s forgettable second spell as manager and an ignominious period in the club’s history did not help Henderson’s standing either. Succeeding Gerrard as captain only piled more pressure on the midfielder.

In fact, it was only last season that the England regular could finally claim to have won over the fanbase.

The signing of Fabinho from Monaco will be looked upon as a pivotal moment in Liverpool’s transformation from also-rans to serial silverware winners. The Brazilian is the lynchpin of their midfield, the safety valve who enables Trent Alexander-Arnold and Andy Robertson to bomb forward at will and join in the attack.

Optus Sport

@OptusSport
I'm not crying, you're crying

This interview with @jhenderson's old man is something special #OptusSport #UCLfinal @kellysomers @carra23

8:19 AM - Jun 2, 2019
4,592 people are talking about this
But it’s not just Liverpool’s flying full-backs who have been unshackled by the midfielder with telescopic legs. Henderson has also benefited from the added layer of security Fabinho provides and has put in his best run of performances since the 2013/14 season, when he bagged five goals from 40 appearances.

A flying winger in his youth at Sunderland, Henderson in 2020 would be characterised more as a No.6 than a No.8 when it comes to assigning midfield roles. But there’s more attacking nous to his game than he’s ever got credit for at Liverpool and having Fabinho behind him has enabled him to show it.

Able to play the box-to-box role which was tailor-made for someone of his stamina and work-rate, Henderson can influence matters further forward, showcasing an attacking instinct which has been stifled in recent years.

The results have been clear to see. Henderson went from having 0.79 touches per 90 in the opposition box in 2017/18 to 1.5 in 2018/19, saw his attempted dribbles climb slightly from 0.62 to 0.63 and took 0.73 shots versus 0.62 the year prior.

And Klopp acknowledged that the tweak in role – something Henderson instigated – has had an impressive impact on his displays. “He obviously likes the attacking position,” Klopp said last year. “So it was my fault that for one-and-a-half years he was in a No.6 position. Sorry for that! But we needed him there!”

Therein lies the issue. Henderson is unfussy, unselfish and low maintenance. All qualities which make him perfect captain material and an invaluable member of Klopp’s squad.

Optus Sport

@OptusSport
Like a boss #UCL #ChampionsLeague #OptusSport @JHenderson

7:03 PM - Jun 3, 2019
See Optus Sport's other Tweets
Henderson would be the first to admit he isn’t the most talented player at the club. But his value is in getting the best out of those around him and, before the signing of Fabinho in the summer of 2018, that meant sacrificing himself for his team-mates by playing a deeper role that he was less comfortable in.

It meant seeing more of the ball and having more touches. But that showed up Henderson’s shortcomings. He was often too passive when screening the back four and Fabinho’s arrival exacerbated that. Now, playing as a box-to-box midfielder, Henderson is more decisive in his new role, capitalising on chaos and linking with Alexander-Arnold down the right-hand side.

Everything came together on one of the biggest nights of last season. Barcelona arrived at Anfield leading 3-0 from the first leg of their Champions League semi-final in Catalonia. Their progress to the final was a formality. Or so everyone thought. After a thrilling 4-0 win for the Reds, the headlines went to Divock Origi, Gini Wijnaldum and Alexander-Arnold. But Henderson delivered a timely captain’s performance.

Speaking to The Players’ Tribune ahead of the 2019 final in Madrid, Robertson heaped praise on his captain and underlined precisely why Henderson has been an Anfield mainstay for almost a decade now.

“Jordan Henderson must have lost count of the times he has had his ability questioned – although never by anyone who has been fortunate enough to work with him,” the Scot said.

“And here he is on the brink of captaining Liverpool in a second successive Champions League final.”

Optus Sport

@OptusSport
"Football sometimes is a strange game and you don't always get what you deserve."

It's about the fine margins for Liverpool captain Jordan Henderson.#OptusSport

9:58 AM - Aug 7, 2019
Victory over Tottenham Hotspur at the Wanda Metropolitano transformed this incarnation of Liverpool from nearly men to legends. And it had the same effect on Henderson who could now call himself a Champions League-winning captain, putting him on a par with so many greats but, perhaps most significantly, Gerrard.

Henderson has taken that form into the 2019/20 campaign. He has averaged 98 passes per 90 since Fabinho was struck down with ankle ligament damage against Napoli in November, a dramatic increase on the 55 he had been managing prior. He’s also completing 90 per cent of those passes, while his final-third entries have tripled.

Man-of-the-match in the Reds’ win over Sheffield United during the festive period, we’ll leave the final words to his typically ebullient and effusive boss.

“Gini (Wijnaldum) and Hendo, especially, because they have had to play the biggest number of games this season – what they do is just incredible – absolutely incredible,” Klopp said following his side’s 2-0 win at Bramall Lane.

“I do not take that for granted for one second. If anybody who is with us still doesn’t see the quality of Jordan Henderson, then I cannot help them.”

Clueless 😂
Lampard couldn’t do half of the tracking, closing and turn overs Henderson does.
What he could do was be an unbelievable number 10.
Gerrard missed that world cup through injury... which is another thing Henderson has on him
Exactly.

Last edited:
Clueless 😂

Lampard couldn’t do half of the tracking, closing and turn overs Henderson does.
What he could do was be an unbelievable number 10.

Exactly.

Clueless? Lampard went to city in the twilight of his career and played deep and still was utter class and is thought of highly amongst city fans. The bloke could do it all.

Jordan Henderson has finally earned his place as a Liverpool great
Not that long ago Jordan Henderson was distinctly unpopular with Liverpool fans, the feeling being he wasn’t fit to lace the boots of Steven Gerrard. But Henderson has grown into his role as leader, and in a star-studded team he’s the glue which keeps everything together. Now, he’s finally getting some long-awaited recognition for it.

By Tom Bodell, Football Whispers
7th Jan 2020, 10:57 AM
The 2011 summer transfer window was not a vintage one for Liverpool Football Club.

In fact, for a long time, it probably represented one of the worst periods of player trading in the Merseysiders’ illustrious history; a damning indictment of where the Reds were following the near-ruinous reign of Tom Hicks and George Gillett.

That summer, Kenny Dalglish brought Charlie Adam, Doni, Stewart Downing, Jose Enrique, Sebastian Coates, Craig Bellamy and Jordan Henderson to Anfield. While Bellamy was already popular and proved successful in his second stint, the rest were deemed not up to scratch and slowly dispersed.

Not Henderson though. The former Sunderland midfielder, signed for $30.3million, stuck around and has done until this day. He’s now the club’s captain, a Champions League winner and, in a star-studded team, one of the most important players at Jurgen Klopp’s disposal.

But how did the quiet lad with the ‘odd gait’ from the North East become a modern-day Liverpool great? Our friends at Football Whispers chart Henderson’s rise.

Optus Sport

@OptusSport
"I'm delighted I can take this medal home for (dad)."

An emotional Jordan Henderson remembers the promise he made to his dad, speaking with @OptusSport's @schwarzer_mark.#OptusSport #UCLfinal

8:50 AM - Jun 2, 2019
45 people are talking about this
It could all have been so different for Henderson. After a single unremarkable season at Anfield, incoming manager Brendan Rodgers told him he could leave to join Fulham as part of a prospective deal which would see Clint Dempsey move in the opposite direction.

Henderson dug his heels in and remained at Liverpool, determined to prove his new boss wrong. It was a smart decision. By the end of the 2012/13 campaign, he’d changed Rodgers’ perception of him enough to make 44 appearances in all competitions with a series of whole-hearted and energetic displays.

He had not, though, entirely won over the Anfield crowd. Still only 23, Henderson was very much in the shadow of all-action skipper and Liverpool icon Steven Gerrard. While Stevie G’s legs might have been going, Henderson did not possess the dynamism, panache or game-changing instinct of the club’s favourite son.

Being associated with Dalglish’s forgettable second spell as manager and an ignominious period in the club’s history did not help Henderson’s standing either. Succeeding Gerrard as captain only piled more pressure on the midfielder.

In fact, it was only last season that the England regular could finally claim to have won over the fanbase.

The signing of Fabinho from Monaco will be looked upon as a pivotal moment in Liverpool’s transformation from also-rans to serial silverware winners. The Brazilian is the lynchpin of their midfield, the safety valve who enables Trent Alexander-Arnold and Andy Robertson to bomb forward at will and join in the attack.

Optus Sport

@OptusSport
I'm not crying, you're crying

This interview with @jhenderson's old man is something special #OptusSport #UCLfinal @kellysomers @carra23

8:19 AM - Jun 2, 2019
4,592 people are talking about this
But it’s not just Liverpool’s flying full-backs who have been unshackled by the midfielder with telescopic legs. Henderson has also benefited from the added layer of security Fabinho provides and has put in his best run of performances since the 2013/14 season, when he bagged five goals from 40 appearances.

A flying winger in his youth at Sunderland, Henderson in 2020 would be characterised more as a No.6 than a No.8 when it comes to assigning midfield roles. But there’s more attacking nous to his game than he’s ever got credit for at Liverpool and having Fabinho behind him has enabled him to show it.

Able to play the box-to-box role which was tailor-made for someone of his stamina and work-rate, Henderson can influence matters further forward, showcasing an attacking instinct which has been stifled in recent years.

The results have been clear to see. Henderson went from having 0.79 touches per 90 in the opposition box in 2017/18 to 1.5 in 2018/19, saw his attempted dribbles climb slightly from 0.62 to 0.63 and took 0.73 shots versus 0.62 the year prior.

And Klopp acknowledged that the tweak in role – something Henderson instigated – has had an impressive impact on his displays. “He obviously likes the attacking position,” Klopp said last year. “So it was my fault that for one-and-a-half years he was in a No.6 position. Sorry for that! But we needed him there!”

Therein lies the issue. Henderson is unfussy, unselfish and low maintenance. All qualities which make him perfect captain material and an invaluable member of Klopp’s squad.

Optus Sport

@OptusSport
Like a boss #UCL #ChampionsLeague #OptusSport @JHenderson

7:03 PM - Jun 3, 2019
Henderson would be the first to admit he isn’t the most talented player at the club. But his value is in getting the best out of those around him and, before the signing of Fabinho in the summer of 2018, that meant sacrificing himself for his team-mates by playing a deeper role that he was less comfortable in.

It meant seeing more of the ball and having more touches. But that showed up Henderson’s shortcomings. He was often too passive when screening the back four and Fabinho’s arrival exacerbated that. Now, playing as a box-to-box midfielder, Henderson is more decisive in his new role, capitalising on chaos and linking with Alexander-Arnold down the right-hand side.

Everything came together on one of the biggest nights of last season. Barcelona arrived at Anfield leading 3-0 from the first leg of their Champions League semi-final in Catalonia. Their progress to the final was a formality. Or so everyone thought. After a thrilling 4-0 win for the Reds, the headlines went to Divock Origi, Gini Wijnaldum and Alexander-Arnold. But Henderson delivered a timely captain’s performance.

Speaking to The Players’ Tribune ahead of the 2019 final in Madrid, Robertson heaped praise on his captain and underlined precisely why Henderson has been an Anfield mainstay for almost a decade now.

“Jordan Henderson must have lost count of the times he has had his ability questioned – although never by anyone who has been fortunate enough to work with him,” the Scot said.

“And here he is on the brink of captaining Liverpool in a second successive Champions League final.”

Optus Sport

@OptusSport
"Football sometimes is a strange game and you don't always get what you deserve."

It's about the fine margins for Liverpool captain Jordan Henderson.#OptusSport

9:58 AM - Aug 7, 2019
Victory over Tottenham Hotspur at the Wanda Metropolitano transformed this incarnation of Liverpool from nearly men to legends. And it had the same effect on Henderson who could now call himself a Champions League-winning captain, putting him on a par with so many greats but, perhaps most significantly, Gerrard.

Henderson has taken that form into the 2019/20 campaign. He has averaged 98 passes per 90 since Fabinho was struck down with ankle ligament damage against Napoli in November, a dramatic increase on the 55 he had been managing prior. He’s also completing 90 per cent of those passes, while his final-third entries have tripled.

Man-of-the-match in the Reds’ win over Sheffield United during the festive period, we’ll leave the final words to his typically ebullient and effusive boss.

“Gini (Wijnaldum) and Hendo, especially, because they have had to play the biggest number of games this season – what they do is just incredible – absolutely incredible,” Klopp said following his side’s 2-0 win at Bramall Lane.

“I do not take that for granted for one second. If anybody who is with us still doesn’t see the quality of Jordan Henderson, then I cannot help them.”
Thanks for posting that. Good read.

It has taken a long time for the media and wider public to appreciate someone who embodies all that is still good in this game that we love.

There aren’t too many players/characters I can point my son towards as genuine role models in today’s game and Henderson is a credit to his parents, SAFC and himself for all that he has achieved and how he conducts himself.

Back