Jonny Bairstow

He doesn’t tho. And he’s played enough tests to make up for this famous “bad start”
Can’t argue about stats but who else would then we have tried loads lately without any success, Buttler aside. He has had a bad summer but it’s been a summer where in the main the ball has dominated. Stick with him if he fails for another 12 months then consider other options but like I have already said there are not a lot of people banging the door down due to weight of championship runs

Can’t argue about stats but who else would then we have tried loads lately without any success, Buttler aside. He has had a bad summer but it’s been a summer where in the main the ball has dominated. Stick with him if he fails for another 12 months then consider other options but like I have already said there are not a lot of people banging the door down due to weight of championship runs
I didn’t say we should drop him. But he gets an easy ride for me

He doesn’t tho. And he’s played enough tests to make up for this famous “bad start”

That’s because in recent years when he should be in his prime as a test match batsman he has had to focus on two fronts. How many players can hold down a top 5 place, average 40 plus and keep wicket over a sustained period? Sankakkara who was a phenomenal player but not many more.

That’s because in recent years when he should be in his prime as a test match batsman he has had to focus on two fronts. How many players can hold down a top 5 place, average 40 plus and keep wicket over a sustained period? Sankakkara who was a phenomenal player but not many more.
By his choice seemingly.

I’ll give you Andy Flower as well. And De Villiers for a while.

:lol: the argument should probably have been “a top class batsman”

James Vaughan was one of Sunderland’s best strikers last season

if i'm remember rightly bairstow seemed to be a world class batsman but turned out to just be a purple patch - didn't he score more runs than anyone in a calendar year not that long back? but has slumped badly, perhaps to do with the indecision about where teh future of the gloves lie and where he'll bat.

give him the gloves stick him back at 7 for my money, sometimes all this fannying about creates more problems than it solves. just hope he can regain his form and we can go back to having one of/the best wicket keeper batsmen in the world and find a number 5 instead of having an out of form number 5 who wants to be the wicket keeper and a wicket keeper not as good as jonny bairstow.

By his choice seemingly.

I’ll give you Andy Flower as well. And De Villiers for a while.

Undoubtedly true as are your examples of Flower and De Villiers but no-one is saying Bairstow is in the class as those 3 modern day greats. De Villiers had a great record keeping wicket and batting in the top 5 but even he recognized it was unsustainable over time. While I believe JB really could and should be a top 5 batsman averaging 40 I have a feeling now he is mentally happier batting at 7 and perhaps not as keen to work so hard at technical flaws when they come up.

Gone are the days of Bob Taylor at 9, averaging about 15. I must have been ahead of my time, as I always thought it was a waste of a place.

Tin hat on firmly

There is a myth that he is a world class test match batsman*. This myth is partly driven by his admittedly excellent ODI form

59 tests
Average just over 37
5 tons
Conversion rate of 20% (obviously partially from batting at 7 a decent amount)

Matt Prior averaged 40 with a pretty much identical conversion rate and no one thought he was a world class batsman*

*note I’m not saying keeper-batsman

Think you are being a bit harsh, but it does back up my view that he should bat at 7.

Back