Jon McLaughlin

Status
Not open for further replies.
If the proposed salary cap comes in, that will be £2.5m to cover all the costs of 20 senior players. That's all costs, not just basic pay. That works out at £125,000/player. After deducting employer NI, that's probably £2k/ week tops. In League 2, it will be half that. Out of contract players are going to be in for a hell of a shock when clubs are in a position to start recruiting again. Wages, in general will be 50-75% of what they were, at best.
If the proposed salary cap comes in it will be phased and with conditions. In my view there is not a chance that such a salary cap will be starting in a couple of months. Rodwell may have been a poor CEO in the past but he has been on the EFL Board and his view is that IF there is any sort of cap it will be pahgsed in over a few years.

how many others out of contract? we are absolutely fucked
I think the Echo has a definitive list
Including loanees we have about 14 out of contract including
McLaughin, Flanagan, Lynch, Baldwin, Bailey Wright, Ozturk
O' Nien, Maguire, Lafferty, Seminoye, Robson, Watmore, Kimpioka, Scrowen

They might be more and yes I think we are fucked
There's options to resign Maguire & O' Nien

presumably we'd have to get some kind of dispensation / lead-in period for wages we've already agreed to pay ?
Yep think you are right,however i would think some of our players will be on more now.So when the contracts run out in a few weeks time we should be able to cherry pick the cream of the crap.We have loads leaving if you include loans and short term signings like scowen etc

its around the same numbers for just about every club in this league.

Thing is there is only about 6 of those i would want to keep .So as i say further up i think we can get better for next to nowt

Thing is there is only about 6 of those i would want to keep .So as i say further up i think we can get better for next to nowt
I would agree
McLaughin
O' Nien
Maguire
Bailey Wright plus one other Center Half
Jury still out on Lafferty
Maybye Kimpioka

The other problem is we've half dozen or so we need to move on including Grigg, Wyke, C. McLaughin, Leadbitter, who won't be going anywhere now

Last edited:
I would agree
McLaughin
O' Nien
Maguire
Bailey Wright plus one other Center Half
Jury still out on Lafferty
Maybye Kimpioka
Yes pretty much the same,thing is almost every side seemed to have somebody who stood out.We need to be fast out of the blocks to replace the ones that have left.

I said this back in the summer. The club thought they could get good fees for McLaughlin and McGeady. Donald said JMc could leave for £5m but TBH he would have sold for £1m. Donald gave it the Billy Big Bollox at a talking in before Heenreveen game more or less taking the piss out of the agent. It was always going 1 way from there. McLaughlin held all the cards and knew he'd either get a new deal or he could talk to clubs in January.

Donald likes to think he's ahead of the game and knows more than the average person involved in the game. This is just another example of how hapless he really is.

If the proposed salary cap comes in, that will be £2.5m to cover all the costs of 20 senior players. That's all costs, not just basic pay. That works out at £125,000/player. After deducting employer NI, that's probably £2k/ week tops. In League 2, it will be half that. Out of contract players are going to be in for a hell of a shock when clubs are in a position to start recruiting again. Wages, in general will be 50-75% of what they were, at best.

Yup the market is going to really bottom out for a lot of the out of contract players. It’s a shame because something definitely needs to be done about the wages in football but it’s those down the pyramid that are going to feel the effects more than the ones towards the top (if there’s even an impact on them).

Have other clubs not have loanees and out of contract players.

How long has McGeady got left on the contract he negotiated with our saviour?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back