Joined a gym for a month

Status
Not open for further replies.

scotch

Striker
2 stone overweight and unfit.
Realistically how much weight can i hope to lose by the end and whats probably the best way to go about it, both in the gym and diet wise outside.
thx in advance

Try cutting out snacks and reduce the portion size of your main meals. Always, always have a breakfast.

Week 1 brisk walk for 30 mins on the treadmill. Try and increase the distance each day (write it down)
Week 2 gentle jog as above
Week 3 Use a setting where you run fast for brief periods (3 minutes) followed by 10 mins steady. Do this for 30 mins
Week 4 go for it. See how far you can get before you collapse in a big sweaty mess.

You'll lose a stone easy

aye what he said but if you find you can do the crosstrainer easily then stay on it for 2 hours 3 times a week, it is impossible not to lose weight this way, its just it takes too long so no one does it.

if you want to get scientific about food then read titus advice somewhere on here, other wise eat half fruit and Veg(carbs), a quarter protein, and good fats and eat little and often.

You are barely 2 stone, never mind 2 stone over weight!

You are barely 2 stone, never mind 2 stone over weight!

Thats just an optical illusion

aye what he said but if you find you can do the crosstrainer easily then stay on it for 2 hours 3 times a week, it is impossible not to lose weight this way, its just it takes too long so no one does it.

will give this a try tomorow.

What about pasta as a food source, loaded with carbs?

its fine as long as you don't eat more calories than you're using, you need to work out what you burn and then you can eat 10-20% under that amount.

good music or radio show you enjoy otherwise you'll get bored

Last edited:

Instead of worrying about what you eat, think about the quantity you eat (calories). To lose weight you have to be burning more calories than you're eating. Reduce your portion sizes and cut out snacks, you might be hungry for a couple of days but you'll get used to it and you'll lose more weight.

Instead of worrying about what you eat, think about the quantity you eat (calories).QUOTE]

After the faux pas to McD's after my first trip i shall heed this advice.
Will bump this thread at the end of the month to hopefully show the success :lol:

Thank fuck people in this thread are speaking sense regarding carbs. I was in Holland and Barrett yesterday picking something up for my mate and the lass in the que behind me said to her mate "Carbs are really bad, our Kirsty lost 2 stone by cutting carbs out" :roll:

Ofcourse you're likely to lose weight if you nearly completely cut out the consumption of an entire f***ing macronutrient, dumb bitch.

Our bodies deal with carbs as sugar. The best time to eat carbs is in the hour after training as your metabolic rate is increased!

In that your body deals with them as energy and does not just turn them into fat

I could eat a majority of my carbs before I go to bed one day, then spread them out over the course of a day another day and in terms of body composition, any difference would be miniscule.

Titus said:
I could eat a majority of my carbs before I go to bed and spread them out over the course of a day and in terms of body composition, any difference would be miniscule.

Wrong dumb bitch!

Wrong dumb bitch!

Provide me with some peer reviewed studies that show otherwise. I'd also advise you go and look at the increasing number of bodybuilders that are now following similar protocols.

& dumb bitch? Mate don't start...

I believe the op is talking about losing weight and not bulking up as bodybuilders do. I totally accept for bulking a higher carbohydrate level is required. However to lose fat swapping carbohydrate sources from pure carbs (potatoes, pasta etc) it is far better to get these from greens as broccoli, spinach etc. These green leafy vegetables also contribute to as great antioxidants to help shift stubborn fat from love handles etc.

I believe the op is talking about losing weight and not bulking up as bodybuilders do. I totally accept for bulking a higher carbohydrate level is required. However to lose fat swapping carbohydrate sources from pure carbs (potatoes, pasta etc) it is far better to get these from greens as broccoli, spinach etc. These green leafy vegetables also contribute to as great antioxidants to help shift stubborn fat from love handles etc.

Bodybuilders cut too.

Please explain to me, or show me some sort of credible evidence that if I was to spread my carbohydrate intake out throughout a day and then to consume a majority of my carbohydrate intake prior to going to bed, that the results on body composition would differ.

It's complete bullshit that 'oh, don't eat carbs before you go to bed because you don't use carbs when you sleep so they'll just be stored as fat'. For that to be true, you would have to eat enough carbohydrate to replete the depleted glycogen stores, top off glycogen stores, 'spill over' and then continue to eat carbohydrates.

It is dictated by overall macronutrient intake, not timing.

Last edited by a moderator:
Totally agree just saying for losing weight it is best to eat carbs immediately after you have trained whether this be midnight or midday. This is when your muscles use the energy to restore instead of sitting unused

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back