Jofra Archer

TBF Archer has a British passport, so its no issue to me.
He does. But he only moved here to play county cricket having played for the West Indies til u19s.

Cricket is a small game globally. It will die if England, Australia and India dominate.

We need a strong
- SA - where the likes of Harmer etc don’t just leave for money
- Pakistan - hopefully one day they can play at home
- West Indies - where they give a fuck about the longer form

He does. But he only moved here to play county cricket having played for the West Indies til u19s.

Cricket is a small game globally. It will die if England, Australia and India dominate.

We need a strong
Fair point

We need a strong

I’m pretty sure archer only has one passport, a British one

The world is a smaller place these days, nationalities bit more blurred

Must admit as much as I rate him as a cricketer, Morgan is Irish, I’m not sure how he’s playing for England, he has no connection to the country does he?

Must admit as much as I rate him as a cricketer, Morgan is Irish, I’m not sure how he’s playing for England, he has no connection to the country does he?
Aye there are definite worse examples

Let's be honest England have been playing layers developed by other countries for decades. The counties are that hopeless at developing their own they just nick them from countries with no money in their domestic game and the odd one plays for England. There must br well over a 100 players now n county cricket playing as Englishmen who where schooled abroad.

Let's be honest England have been playing layers developed by other countries for decades. The counties are that hopeless at developing their own they just nick them from countries with no money in their domestic game and the odd one plays for England. There must br well over a 100 players now n county cricket playing as Englishmen who where schooled abroad.

Aye the likes of Buttler, Stokes, Bairstow, Root, Anderson, Broad, Cook all useless

And before you say anything Stokes was schooled here.

Aye the likes of Buttler, Stokes, Bairstow, Root, Anderson, Broad, Cook all useless

And before you say anything Stokes was schooled here.
Always backed Stokes on here when others have said he is a kiwi. He had the choice at 16 to stay here or go back home with his family. As I have also said on here Stokes is the product of the excellent youth system Cumbria have. They are producing more cricketers than some of the useless first class counties are capable off. Also I never said all England players are schooled overseas. I said county cricket is full of them because they are useless at producing their own. Half the counties have not produced 20 international quality players between them in the last 20 years through their development system which is supposed to be their function.

Morgan was Irish enough to play for them in the 2007 WC then saw the £ signs (still won't sing the national anthem though!).

As a sport it would be so much better if the rich nations weren't allowed to cherry pick.

Morgan was Irish enough to play for them in the 2007 WC then saw the £ signs (still won't sing the national anthem though!).

As a sport it would be so much better if the rich nations weren't allowed to cherry pick.

I'm not even knocking him like. Just I mean, he is Irish, doesn't even have English heritage

That would be my basic rule, you at least need British parents or a parent

I'm not even knocking him like. Just I mean, he is Irish, doesn't even have English heritage

That would be my basic rule, you at least need British parents or a parent

It's not a clear cut thing but to me once you're playing U19s for someone (Jennings, South Africa) you're old enough to have nailed your colours to the mast.

Morgan, Joyce and Rankin went way past that point too.

Not having ago at the players, they did the right things, ECB should not have allowed it
The ECB did it because ….. the ECB wanted to develop Irish cricket, so there is (or was) no restriction. And of course in law Irish people living in the UK are treated as if they were UK citizens with all rights to live, work, voting and benefits and always have had.

Plus of course Scots and Welsh can play for England.

Now that Ireland has Test status I think the situation has changed.

The ECB did it because ….. the ECB wanted to develop Irish cricket, so there is (or was) no restriction. And of course in law Irish people living in the UK are treated as if they were UK citizens with all rights to live, work, voting and benefits and always have had.

Plus of course Scots and Welsh can play for England.

Now that Ireland has Test status I think the situation has changed.

I know what you mean but on that basis Roy Keane could have captained England

It's not a clear cut thing but to me once you're playing U19s for someone (Jennings, South Africa) you're old enough to have nailed your colours to the mast.

Morgan, Joyce and Rankin went way past that point too.
Jennings was actually playing for Durham Academy when he was called up by South Africa to captain their U19s on tour over here. Slightly embarrassing all round

I know what you mean but on that basis Roy Keane could have captained England
Well not the same really. Ireland is a strong international team, sometimes better than England.

And it's 'rules/laws of the game thing' and different sports have different rules. Ireland in cricket/football/Rugby includes players born and raised in the UK. I really don't see Morgan as an issue because of the exceptional nature of the development of Irish Cricket - otoh, I did have an issue with a Zola Budd situation and still would.

We didn't produce Archer though, he came here for commercial reasons (I'm guessing).
He was struggling with a back injury in the Windies, someone brought him across to Sussex and they got him treatment and sorted him out whereas he was being left to his own devices over there. He said he wants to pay back English cricket for that. If it was all about money he could do exactly what the likes of Gayle, Bravo and Russell have done.

He was struggling with a back injury in the Windies, someone brought him across to Sussex and they got him treatment and sorted him out whereas he was being left to his own devices over there. He said he wants to pay back English cricket for that. If it was all about money he could do exactly what the likes of Gayle, Bravo and Russell have done.

Yeah fair point

The argument works both ways like, the World is a smaller place these days, more multicultural. Not everyone is born in England to two English parents to be British

Fine margins

Back