Joe Root

He's been learning how to do it and he's getting there, I wouldn't think of a new captain at present. Also what Dexter said is right.

There’s literally only him and Anderson guaranteed a place in the team at this point. No one else could do it.
This is the only correct answer at present. Couldn’t select a captain that isn’t even guaranteed to start matches, and none of the others really deserve to play test cricket for England let’s be honest - they’re only there because the options are even worse than they are

There’s literally only him and Anderson guaranteed a place in the team at this point. No one else could do it.

There's no way Anderson should be playing every test either at his age. So there is no other option.

For what it's worth, I don't mind Root as a captain. I think he certainly makes mistakes but he gets dragged a lot more than he deserves.

Unfortunately there aren't any outstanding alternatives. Stokes is taking a break, Burns needs to focus on his batting and I'm not convinced Burns even deserves to play, never mind lead, given the quality of his batting at the moment. I would like to see Tom Abell given a go at number three, to see if he can hold down a place, as he has been a good captain for Somerset. I would definitely shot of Silverwood though, or move him back to fastbowling coach. Root could blossom with a better coach to guide him.

Unfortunately there aren't any outstanding alternatives. Stokes is taking a break, Burns needs to focus on his batting and I'm not convinced Burns even deserves to play, never mind lead, given the quality of his batting at the moment. I would like to see Tom Abell given a go at number three, to see if he can hold down a place, as he has been a good captain for Somerset. I would definitely shot of Silverwood though, or move him back to fastbowling coach. Root could blossom with a better coach to guide him.

I cant say I am too keen on Silverwood as things stand but England have a few genuine world class players in their full strength test side not currently playing. Put Archer and Stokes into the mix and on paper we are on a par with any other of the leading test nations. As an example, people rave about the Indian seam attack, but give me Wood, Archer, Anderson and Stokes any day of the week

Back