Joe Root at 3

I dunno, not convinced, middle order player for me, just plays too many shots for a number 3, hopefully he will prove me wrong. Not convinced by Bairstow at 5 either.

Both are better than anyone else in that postition, you thought process I agree with, if and it's a big if we have anyone better which we clearly don't.

You could put in a number 3 who doesn't play as many shots, however they have been getting out just the same!!, in fact for next to no runs for several years.

That's the whole point surely? If we had a number 3 and 5 who could score consistent runs then fair dos, but you know we haven't!!

Both are better than anyone else in that postition, you thought process I agree with, if and it's a big if we have anyone better which we clearly don't.

You could put in a number 3 who doesn't play as many shots, however they have been getting out just the same!!, in fact for next to no runs for several years.

That's the whole point surely? If we had a number 3 and 5 who could score consistent runs then fair dos, but you know we haven't!!

We've only tried Ballance and Vince who are not number 3s though.

We've only tried Ballance and Vince who are not number 3s though.

How many to you keep trying and failing, before asking your senior player to take more responsibility?

There is nothing at all currently out there who we could confidently predict would do even half a decent job at 3?

You hit the nail on the head there the players you mentioned been tried at 3 suggest strongly that the cupboard is very bare at that position

How many to you keep trying and failing, before asking your senior player to take more responsibility?

There is nothing at all currently out there who we could confidently predict would even do half a decent job at 3?

I don't see it as taking responsibility, its nothing to do with that IMO, its what skills do you have, and are they suited to that role

I am sure Stokes would like to take more responsibility, but you wouldn't have it at 3, you know what I mean.

I haven't got a massive problem with him batting there mind, I just think its getting overstated

I don't see it as taking responsibility, its nothing to do with that IMO, its what skills do you have, and are they suited to that role

I am sure Stokes would like to take more responsibility, but you wouldn't have it at 3, you know what I mean.

I haven't got a massive problem with him batting there mind, I just think its getting overstated

I do know what you mean but Stokes and Root are far diffrent players, and like I have said before for many many innings while batting at 4, Root has been at the crease very very early in a test match and scored big runs, therefore clearly coming in early does not effect Root scoring big runs.

I know I am repeating myself mate but the overriding reason he should be batting at 3, is that currently anyone else batting 3 would just be a walking wicket.

Last edited:

Back