Joe Hugill

Be interesting to see how many would tell their son to reject a move to Man UTD, Arsenal or Spurs at 16, with a good contract and a chance at a top club. I Love SAFC as much as anyone, but they'll be ambitious young lads. Hard to not be tempted.

Be interesting to see how many would tell their son to reject a move to Man UTD, Arsenal or Spurs at 16, with a good contract and a chance at a top club. I Love SAFC as much as anyone, but they'll be ambitious young lads. Hard to not be tempted.

Go to a big club, even if you don’t make it there you get released and come to our clubs u23 or a team in league 1/2. It’s a no brainer for them to go and with the money being offered. I’ve been told by someone around the u23 teams at the game and the salary which is offered is a pittance compared to any other category 1 academy.

Go to a big club, even if you don’t make it there you get released and come to our clubs u23 or a team in league 1/2. It’s a no brainer for them to go and with the money being offered. I’ve been told by someone around the u23 teams at the game and the salary which is offered is a pittance compared to any other category 1 academy.
are we losing players to cat one academies..or to players going to sign pro rather than academy, deals at successful clubs..

Exactly. Heaven forbid these kids be ambitious. We're in no position to compete with Man UTD, Arsenal and Spurs. They have time on their hands and would always wonder "what if" if they didn't test themselves. Like you say, it doesn't work out and at 20 they're back in the lower leagues, but they've give it their best shot and tried to take the opportunity that presented itself. Don't blame them at all.

We cant refuse any approach, they can speak directly to anyone not under a pro contract. Soon as they speak to them , if the player wants to leave then the club only have to pay us the compo, we cant even negotiate the fee, it's set. We can do fuck all about it mate. Its wrong but it's normal and happens all over.
A club can’t approach anyone already registered at another academy & vice versa.
They aren’t ‘free’ to speak to anyone..

below is an extract from the rules & agreement...

Approaches by and to Clubs and Inducements
296. A Club shall not, either directly or indirectly, make any approach to or communicate with:
296.1 an Academy Player registered with another Club (or club); or
296.2 a player with whom another Club (or club) has entered into a pre-registration agreement which remains current.
297. A public statement made by an Official of or Intermediary for a Club expressing interest in an Academy Player whose registration is held by another Club (or club) or a player with whom another Club (or club) has entered into a pre-registration agreement which remains current shall be deemed for the purpose of Rule 296 to be an indirect approach in breach of that Rule.
298. Except as permitted by Rules 268 and 269, an Academy Player whose registration is held by a Club shall not, either directly or indirectly, make any approach to another Club

Last edited:
We cant refuse any approach, they can speak directly to anyone not under a pro contract. Soon as they speak to them , if the player wants to leave then the club only have to pay us the compo, we cant even negotiate the fee, it's set. We can do fuck all about it mate. Its wrong but it's normal and happens all over.
That's wrong. They will be signed as an academy player. They will need to be approached through us, we then can refused and should then be end of the story
Read my previous comments

Last edited:
Exactly. Heaven forbid these kids be ambitious. We're in no position to compete with Man UTD, Arsenal and Spurs. They have time on their hands and would always wonder "what if" if they didn't test themselves. Like you say, it doesn't work out and at 20 they're back in the lower leagues, but they've give it their best shot and tried to take the opportunity that presented itself. Don't blame them at all.

That's true but surely it should have been happening for years now, we were no Man Utd or Arsenal when we were in the Prem, so what kept them here then?

That's true but surely it should have been happening for years now, we were no Man Utd or Arsenal when we were in the Prem, so what kept them here then?
Chance of premiership football, you've answered that yourself tbh. We're in league 1 and a million miles away from it. I'm as big a SAFC fan as anyone, but if my son was playing really well and looked a class above his team mates at 15/16 and Spurs or Arsenal or Man UTD came along wanting him, then it would be foolish to not give it a go and see how far my son could go. If it didn't come off, then so be it. SAFC in the premier league, then that's different.

Last edited:
Chance of premiership football, you've answered that yourself tbh. We're in league 1 and a million miles away from it. I'm as big a SAFC fan as anyone, but if my son was playing really well and looked a class above his team mates at 15/16 and Spurs or Arsenal or Man UTD came along wanting him, then it would be foolish to not give it a go and see how far my son could go. If it didn't come off, then so be it. SAFC in the premier league, then that's different.

Clubs like Man Utd, Liverpool and Arsenal are a huge attraction, I don't understand how they don't just sweep up the very best of the players not on professional contracts if it's that easy to do.

A club can’t approach anyone already registered at another academy & vice versa.
They aren’t ‘free’ to speak to anyone..

below is an extract from the rules & agreement...

Approaches by and to Clubs and Inducements
296. A Club shall not, either directly or indirectly, make any approach to or communicate with:
296.1 an Academy Player registered with another Club (or club); or
296.2 a player with whom another Club (or club) has entered into a pre-registration agreement which remains current.
297. A public statement made by an Official of or Intermediary for a Club expressing interest in an Academy Player whose registration is held by another Club (or club) or a player with whom another Club (or club) has entered into a pre-registration agreement which remains current shall be deemed for the purpose of Rule 296 to be an indirect approach in breach of that Rule.
298. Except as permitted by Rules 268 and 269, an Academy Player whose registration is held by a Club shall not, either directly or indirectly, make any approach to another Club
Interesting. They have very similar rules in grassroots football, too.

Back