Jimmy Thelin (managerial suggestion)

On Thursday, Aftonbladet reported Sunderland interviewed IF Elfsborg manager Jimmy Thelin at the start of this week. It was also stated the 45-year-old had met some of the officials of the English club.

This claim is further backed up Göteborgs-Posten, and their title states the Swede is ‘up for the coaching assignment at Sunderland’.

Having missed out on these two candidates, the Black Cats have now shifted their focus to Thelin. In fact, the report says they have ‘started the hunt’ to bring him to the Stadium of Light.

The Championship side aren’t the only club showing interest in the Elfsborg manager. GP, relayed by Fotbolltransfers, claim he’s also in contention to be the next Sweden coach. It’s further explained that Thelin met with the Swedish football association on Wednesday.

Andrea Möllerberg, the Swedish FA’s general secretary, said there are several candidates in contention for the national team job.

“Right now, we have nothing more to say than that we continue to check our long list against the requirements profile,” she told GP.

Elfsborg director Stefan Andreasson has also addressed the rumours linking Thelin with a move away from the club.

“We have no further comments other than that Jimmy is a very good coach, and that we are proud to have [him] at Elfsborg,” he told GP.

Not really looking for someone charismatic, just someone to be effective with our team.

If his side play direct and on the front foot, winning the ball back quick - it sounds reminiscent to how we played under Alex Neil. We did alright then.
He doesn't really aim to win the ball back quick though, that's the thing. Happy to sit quite a lot and patiently wait for a mistake, and then hit the opponent with lightning quick (by Allsvenskan standards) attacks. Most of their goals are scored like that.
Given it's understandable why you boys and girls don't know how good Allsvenskan is, I'll give you my thoughts watching both on a regular basis. It's (obviously) not as good as the Championship, but it's not complete crap either. Sunderland would likely win Allsvenskan, but normally there'd be 1-3 teams that'd have the chance to give them a proper fight to the bitter end. Malmö FF often have a good team but I don't think they'd have a decent chance at top-2 in the Championship. More mid table, perhaps challenging for top-6 but I have my doubts. All the lower table teams in Allsvenskan would most likely be relegated from the Championship.

Last edited:
It seems he was contracted to the Swedish club until 2025.
Ergo,if the club did interview him they would have had to pay compensation to get him to Sunderland from Sweden.

Back