Jeremy Bamber White House Farm...Innocent or Evil scumbag?

• Thread starter Deleted member 45378
  • Start date
Apparently it was a sound modifier rather than a silencer, which is an important distinction. I can't remember the full details but it's something like: a sound modifier is a tool to distort what a rabbit hears and does not actually reduce the sound, unlike a silencer. In terms of his actions after the murders, e.g. going on a massive spending spree in the immediate aftermath, it beggars belief that a potential suspect would draw attention to himself in that manner. He did, however, display some of the characteristics seen in serial killers at an earlier time in their lives, e.g. cruel to animals, petty crime and so on. I think the jury returned a verdict of 10-2 guilty, and based on what I've read of this case I reckon most juries would return something similar. The case is bordering on proven beyond reasonable doubt with the potential to go a couple of percentages either way. I personally think he's guilty.

There are a few issues, however, that could do with clarifying: was it Sheila's blood in the sound modifier, can it be demonstrated that there is a decent chance that the sound modifier was not used in the murders. Bamber's latest argument, supported by some forensic type experts, is that the jury was misled into thinking it was Sheila's blood in the sound modifier and that the sound modifier was used on the gun during the murders. In the event Bamber is right on this, and the jury were misled due to more primitive DNA and forensic techniques in 1985/86, and you add in there is no forensic evidence linking him to the crime scene nor witnesses, then I think it would be an unsafe conviction. But, as said, Bamber has been making such claims of new evidence pretty much since he was convicted.

One interesting thing that I believe is a fact: Essex police have not made available for scrutiny all of the documents that they have in their possession.

There's no doubt the police investigation was initially poor but only one day after the killings he was trying to establish if the police knew the sequence in which the victims were killed as that could have affected their wills and his inheritance. I wont say too much on the interview transcripts as it is a drama and I don't want to spoil the last two episodes but his responses are extraordinary at times. It would appear that the sound modifier was more or less permanently on the rifle but was found in its box at the back of the cupboard and I think there had even been rubbish placed in front of the cupboard door. This could create the impression that the modifier was not routinely on the rifle when the fact is that it was. Almost the perfect murder but today there would be more definitive facts established. I agree Essex police have not been open enough but that may be more to do with their own incompetence than his innocence.

Calling people 'average Joe' (twice) who consider him guilty is certainly not helping your arguement here. You're also going as far as paraphrasing your new imaginary friend's imaginary words.

Were you part of Bamber's defence team?

The Jury who found him guilty by the way, what would you call them?

Calling people 'average Joe' is irrelevant to 'my argument'. The term was meant to apply to those who watch the drama and assume it is factual, thereby either making or confirming their (likely) guilty stance. Re my 'imaginary friend', I'm simply parroting the type of thinking common among the 'average Joes'.

The jury - I would call misdirected and split.
I also don't buy the alleged motive for Sheila killing her entire family then herself. That there had been an argument over placing the children in foster care when they lived with their father anyway who had joint custody. Her father was a magistrate and it would have taken incredibly ignorant parents to even consider that possible. Yet Jeremy claimed it had pushed her over the edge.

Det. Supt. Ainsley was the detective who, at the instigation of Jeremy Bamber's uncle, replaced DCI Taff Jones. The uncle later employed Ainsley as a security adviser, at the family run caravan business (O'sea Park).

One of the most serious acts of deception by Ainsley was over the issue of foster-care for the twins. The fact was that Sheila had used foster care previously and it was being considered again. Ainsley had statements made by foster carers but these were only in a hand written form and were not typed up and not produced as evidence. None of the foster carers were called to give evidence at Trial in an attempt to undermine Bamber and depict him as lying about the issue.

Statements from social workers were not disclosed to the DPP on the 25th September 1985 when Ainsley and colleagues pressed for murder charges to be brought against Jeremy. The Defence did not know at the time Jeremy was charged with murder that the DPP believed Bamber had invented the story about hearing plans for fostering discussed on the evening prior to the killings. Det. Spt. Ainsley’s report to the DPP regarding fostering of the children states:

“I think it is only right to say that Jeremy is the only source of such a suggestion and he has been quite active in spreading this information or, as I would believe, misinformation. Every person who knew Ralph Nevill, June and Sheila are all agreed that this is an outrageous suggestion and would never have been suggested or entertained by these persons, not forgetting the natural father, Colin Caffell whose authority would have been required and I might add not forthcoming.”

He goes on to state (his own capitals),

"THERE WAS MENTION OF FOSTER PARENTS ALONG WITH OTHER SOLUTIONS". I think it only right, to say that Jeremy is the only source of such a suggestion and he has been quite active in spreading this information, or as I would believe, misinformation. EVERY person who knew Ralph Nevill, June and Sheila are all agreed that this is an outrageous suggestion and would never have been suggested or entertained by these persons, not forgetting the natural father, Colin CAFFELL, whose authority would have been required and I might add not forthcoming".

Ainsley knew with 100% certainty that Sheila had obtained help with the children in the past and had organised day foster care. Eight separate Actions were raised by Essex Police to obtain statements from ten distinct persons employed by Westminster and Camden Social services regarding the fact that Sheila had needed their help in the past. Ainsley also had the statement from Colin Caffell’s mother who stated that she and June had talked about foster care.

This is just one example of how Ainsley’s deliberate lies to the DPP were used to denigrate Bamber at Court and in later appeal hearings.
Were you part of Bamber's defence team?

No. Nor his campaign team.

Last edited:
Calling people 'average Joe' is irrelevant to 'my argument'. The term was meant to apply to those who watch the drama and assume it is factual, thereby either making or confirming their (likely) guilty stance. Re my 'imaginary friend', I'm simply parroting the type of thinking common among the 'average Joes'.

The jury - I would call misdirected and split.

Det. Supt. Ainsley was the detective who, at the instigation of Jeremy Bamber's uncle, replaced DCI Taff Jones. The uncle later employed Ainsley as a security adviser, at the family run caravan business (O'sea Park).

One of the most serious acts of deception by Ainsley was over the issue of foster-care for the twins. The fact was that Sheila had used foster care previously and it was being considered again. Ainsley had statements made by foster carers but these were only in a hand written form and were not typed up and not produced as evidence. None of the foster carers were called to give evidence at Trial in an attempt to undermine Bamber and depict him as lying about the issue.

Statements from social workers were not disclosed to the DPP on the 25th September 1985 when Ainsley and colleagues pressed for murder charges to be brought against Jeremy. The Defence did not know at the time Jeremy was charged with murder that the DPP believed Bamber had invented the story about hearing plans for fostering discussed on the evening prior to the killings. Det. Spt. Ainsley’s report to the DPP regarding fostering of the children states:

Ainsley knew with 100% certainty that Sheila had obtained help with the children in the past and had organised day foster care. Eight separate Actions were raised by Essex Police to obtain statements from ten distinct persons employed by Westminster and Camden Social services regarding the fact that Sheila had needed their help in the past. Ainsley also had the statement from Colin Caffell’s mother who stated that she and June had talked about foster care.

This is just one example of how Ainsley’s deliberate lies to the DPP were used to denigrate Bamber at Court and in later appeal hearings.

No. Nor his campaign team.

I believe Sheila's mental health was disputed by people who knew her: some said she displayed no signs of violent tendencies; others said the opposite.

But, in the end, it is all hearsay, and assuming for argument's sake that she did have violent tendencies then that is incidental when considering who committed the murders.

The important points surround the evidence such as: why did Sheila have blood on her person that was only consistent with being murdered? why did Sheila have no blood and sugar on her bare feet? whose blood was in the sound modifier - if it was Sheila's then the prosecution successfully demonstrated that she couldn't have killed herself with the sound modifier on the gun? was the sound modifier used during the murders? Sheila had no experience of using a gun, so how did she get 'round the house shooting, reloading and overpowering 6 feet plus Neville? The evidence lends towards Bamber being the killer.

There are some interesting points, granted, such as: it was generally accepted that the two little lads were killed first and in their sleep, this seems consistent with someone not wanting the children to suffer rather than a plan to take out the strongest in the family first, Neville, to prevent the plan going awry; why were the family shot so many times? this seems consistent with rage rather than an execution for money, but then again Jeremy supposedly didn't like his family; are the marks on Neville's back actually burn marks consistent with a sound modifier not being used on the gun during the murders; why are Essex police not divulging all records/documents?; were the jury misled in terms of whose blood was in the sound modifier and whether or not the sound modifier was used on the gun during the murders due to primitive DNA and forensic analysis techniques? 'All questions that need clarification, but as it stands the evidence strongly points towards Bamber.

Bamber has had 3 appeals quashed, so four times the evidence has been considered and four times the conviction stands as safe. He will need something pretty special to get himself out of this hole and 30 years after the murders he has not been able to produce that, which again lends towards his guilt.

........Det. Supt. Ainsley was the detective who, at the instigation of Jeremy Bamber's uncle, replaced DCI Taff Jones. The uncle later employed Ainsley as a security adviser, at the family run caravan business (O'sea Park).

This is just one example of how Ainsley’s deliberate lies to the DPP were used to denigrate Bamber at Court and in later appeal hearings......

The issue of Sheila's mental health needs to be placed in context over a period of years. She was initially treated for clinical depression during a period of successive miscarriages. After the birth of the twins she appears to have been eventually diagnosed with schizophrenia. Even before her split with her husband, her mother did arrange for a local girl to act as nanny whenever she visited the Farm. She may have received help from Social Services when she had split from her husband but by August 1985 he had joint custody of the children who were now living with their father.

Any discussion about foster care in August 1985 would have been irrelevant as the situation had changed. Bamber does claim such a conversation took place but he also states that Sheila's response was unemotional and vacant. The level of medication for schizophrenia is difficult to initially determine and her medication had been reduced. However, she still displayed symtoms of lethargy and of being vacant which could indicate the level was still too high or she needed more time to adjust. She was clearly not in an excitable state that could be prior to a psychotic episode usually caused by a total lack of medication.

Therefore, whatever the history of social care it was irrelevant to that day in August 1985 as the issue had been resolved.

Last edited:
Some good posts. Would like to reply - but does anyone know how I can change my settings so that each reply to a quoted post stays separate? At the moment, each time I reply it just adds my reply to a previous quoted post.

Some good posts. Would like to reply - but does anyone know how I can change my settings so that each reply to a quoted post stays separate? At the moment, each time I reply it just adds my reply to a previous quoted post.

I'm not sure what you mean. If you click the Reply button then you can see that the previous post text is preceded by the QUOTE bracket......and ends with the [/QUOTE]. Your Reply then follows. Post that and then if you Reply to another post the Reply will be added onto the first Reply unless someone else has posted in between the two replies.

If you mean that you want to split the original post you are replying to into sections and answer each one in turn, then you need to use the QUOTE option from the pull down menu above that is indicated by ... and a downward arrow. This will insert the [QUOTE,,,,and unquote brackets {/QUOTE] and you need to place this at the beginning and end of each section to which you can Reply.

Or just copy and past the Quote and UnQuote brackets in the appropriate sections after you have split them up.
PS
Reading your post again it looks like I haven't understood your query initially so....I don't know.
I'm getting old is my excuse.
I believe Sheila's mental health was disputed by people who knew her: some said she displayed no signs of violent tendencies; others said the opposite.

But, in the end, it is all hearsay, and assuming for argument's sake that she did have violent tendencies then that is incidental when considering who committed the murders.......

I also think people are confusing a psychological breakdown and a psychotic episode.

In a psychological breakdown such as a panic attack, there is a surge of adrenaline in a few seconds and this takes at least 20 minutes for the body to biologically recover and enter a state of balance again so the person appears to come to their senses or snap out of it. This is a temporary chemical change.

Psychosis such as schizophrenia is associated with too high a level of neurotransmitters in the brain due to organic malfunction of the glands and is not temporary, hence the need for anti-psychotics also known as the major tranquillisers. This is permanent organic damage and without the administration of medication the body can not readjust. The person cannot simply come to their senses and snap out of a psychotic episode.

If Sheila did experience a psychotic episode and murder her family, I don't see how she could have then come to her senses and realised what she had done so committed suicide.

Last edited:
. Your Reply then follows. Post that and then if you Reply to another post the Reply will be added onto the first Reply unless someone else has posted in between the two replies.

If you mean that you want to split the original post you are replying to into sections and answer each one in turn, then you need to use the QUOTE option from the pull down menu above that is indicated by ... and a downward arrow. This will insert the [QUOTE,,,,and unquote brackets {/QUOTE] and you need to place this at the beginning and end of each section to which you can Reply.

Or just copy and past the Quote and UnQuote brackets in the appropriate sections after you have split them up.
PS
Reading your post again it looks like I haven't understood your query initially so....I don't know.

I also think people are confusing a psychological breakdown and a psychotic episode.

In a psychological breakdown such as a panic attack, there is a surge of adrenaline in a few seconds and this takes at least 20 minutes for the body to biologically recover and enter a state of balance again so the person appears to come to their senses or snap out of it. This is a temporary chemical change.

Psychosis such as schizophrenia is associated with too high a level of neurotransmitters in the brain due to organic malfunction of the glands and is not temporary, hence the need for anti-psychotics also known as the major tranquillisers. This is permanent organic damage and without the administration of medication the body can not readjust. The person cannot simply come to their senses and snap out of a psychotic episode.

If Sheila did experience a psychotic episode and murder her family, I don't see how she could have then come to her senses and realised what she had done so committed suicide.

OK. I think I see what you mean. My post to Locke was automatically tagged onto my post to you as no-one posted in between. I don't know how you avoid that. It still happens if you log off then back on again.

Last edited:
I'm not sure what you mean. If you click the Reply button then you can see that the previous post text is preceded by the QUOTE bracket......and ends with the
. Your Reply then follows. Post that and then if you Reply to another post the Reply will be added onto the first Reply unless someone else has posted in between the two replies.

PS
[/QUOTE]

OK thanks, I think I understand. Basically, if nobody replies after my post and then I post again, it adds my second post to my first. Not ideal but if that's how it works then at least I know.

OK thanks, I think I understand. Basically, if nobody replies after my post and then I post again, it adds my second post to my first. Not ideal but if that's how it works then at least I know.

I seem to remember that previous forum software years ago, kept the replies separate if you logged off then back on again, but not this version.
...There are some interesting points, granted, such as: it was generally accepted that the two little lads were killed first and in their sleep, this seems consistent with someone not wanting the children to suffer rather than a plan to take out the strongest in the family first, Neville, to prevent the plan going awry; why were the family shot so many times? this seems consistent with rage rather than an execution for money, but then again Jeremy supposedly didn't like his family;...

This indicates some degree of method. Someone experiencing a psychotic episode does not understand the consequences of their action. A psychopath does and psychopath is not used to describe someone with psychosis.

....are the marks on Neville's back actually burn marks consistent with a sound modifier not being used on the gun during the murders;...

In the documentary I say heating the barrel to 200 degrees with a blowtorch did not produce burns of the intensity on Neville's back which were quite severe. They also established that although firing the gun 25 times did heat up the barrel it was not hot enough to produce those burns. Also his shirt was not burnt in any way so must have been lifted prior to the burning.
Surely, the only reasonable conclusion is that the burns were made either when Neville was incapacitated or deceased but an extremely hot object rather than the gun with or without a sound modifier. Either way this clearly indicates intent and method.

Last edited:
The important points surround the evidence such as: why did Sheila have blood on her person that was only consistent with being murdered? why did Sheila have no blood and sugar on her bare feet?

I'm not sure whether she may have had June's blood on her nightdress but this was suppressed. Can guarantee that's correct, so will have to check. Sheila did have spots of blood on her feet. The reason she didn't have sugar on her feet was because it was the TFG (raid team) who knocked the bowl of sugar over. The police knew this but supressed it - it only came to light at one of the later enquiries held in to the case.

Whose blood was in the sound modifier - if it was Sheila's then the prosecution successfully demonstrated that she couldn't have killed herself with the sound modifier on the gun? Was the sound modifier used during the murders?

The blood found was actually only narrowed down to being the same group as Sheila and Jeremy's uncle, Robert Boutflour (a prosecution witness). At trial, this was simply presented as it being Sheila's blood. My understanding is that Ballistics experts in the US and UK do not believe a sound moderator was used in the killings, however, I have only seen their claims specifically relating to Sheila's two gunshot wounds (as opposed to the other victims).

Sheila had no experience of using a gun, so how did she get 'round the house shooting, reloading and overpowering 6 feet plus Neville? The evidence lends towards Bamber being the killer.

Whether Sheila has experience of handling a gun is debated. The police suppressed some evidence of her having attended a family shooting holiday in Scotland. She did grow up on a farm also. If Sheila was the killer, she only had to deal with two adults who were taken by surprise. Extreme pain would have been experienced from the first shot to either.

There are some interesting points, granted, such as: it was generally accepted that the two little lads were killed first and in their sleep, this seems consistent with someone not wanting the children to suffer rather than a plan to take out the strongest in the family first, Neville, to prevent the plan going awry; why were the family shot so many times? this seems consistent with rage rather than an execution for money, but then again Jeremy supposedly didn't like his family; are the marks on Neville's back actually burn marks consistent with a sound modifier not being used on the gun during the murders; why are Essex police not divulging all records/documents?; were the jury misled in terms of whose blood was in the sound modifier and whether or not the sound modifier was used on the gun during the murders due to primitive DNA and forensic analysis techniques? 'All questions that need clarification, but as it stands the evidence strongly points towards Bamber.

Some interesting points / questions - but I would say that the actual evidence appears to show that two wounded adults fought (probably separately) with Sheila.

Bamber has had 3 appeals quashed, so four times the evidence has been considered and four times the conviction stands as safe. He will need something pretty special to get himself out of this hole and 30 years after the murders he has not been able to produce that, which again lends towards his guilt.

I would argue this does not represent reality. First of all, non-disclosure in this case is a truly massive issue. Even when the two appeals took place, there were still massive non-disclosure of evidence. There is still non-disclosure. A former Essex detective recently remarked that his former employer 'should be made to cooperate'. Secondly, the appeal system is not set up to right wrongs. Neither is set up to 'find out the truth of what occurred'. Arguably, it is set up to actually uphold the original conviction, wherever possible, even on technicalities. Appeals can only work with proper disclosure of evidence. And, ballistics reports from experts have been dismissed without even obtaining alternative experts reports to counter the ones from the defence. They can basically do as they please. The papers will then just report it as a 'failed appeal'.

,,,Whether Sheila has experience of handling a gun is debated. The police suppressed some evidence of her having attended a family shooting holiday in Scotland. She did grow up on a farm also. If Sheila was the killer, she only had to deal with two adults who were taken by surprise. Extreme pain would have been experienced from the first shot to either....

Mandy Rice-Davies (Profumo Affair) went on actual shooting trips with Lord Astor and friends but whether she could be trusted with even using a shotgun is doubtful. Means nothing that Sheila went on a shooting holiday.

Mandy Rice-Davies (Profumo Affair) went on actual shooting trips with Lord Astor and friends but whether she could be trusted with even using a shotgun is doubtful. Means nothing that Sheila went on a shooting holiday.

Point taken re MRD - however it was a lightweight, low calibre, semi-automatic. On the 2012 ITV Mark Williams Thomas docu, Boyce demonstrates how easy the weapon is to handle and use.

Point taken re MRD - however it was a lightweight, low calibre, semi-automatic. On the 2012 ITV Mark Williams Thomas docu, Boyce demonstrates how easy the weapon is to handle and use.

Possibly but the fact Sheila went on a shooting holiday with her family doesn't indicate she used weapons.

You have to remember than she had run out of the medication that was prescribed to counter the side effects of her primary medication for schizophrenia possibly resulting in uncontrollable muscle shaking. Yet she is alleged to have fired off 25 shots without a single bullet missing the target and reloading at least twice while involved in a violent physical struggle with her father in the kitchen. A slim girl who had suffered from anorexia against a much stronger, taller man. During this struggle the glass light shade was shattered yet her bare feet had no marks caused by shards of glass and were relatively clean. She must have used her thumb to press the trigger if she committed suicide yet no thumb prints were found on the trigger. All whilst having a psychotic episode but her long fingernails all remained undamaged. I suppose it was just good luck that she managed to keep the last two bullets to commit suicide without any spare by her side.

It's not realistic. The killings were too methodical and well staged.

Last edited:
Possibly but the fact Sheila went on a shooting holiday with her family doesn't indicate she used weapons.

You have to remember than she had run out of the medication that was prescribed to counter the side effects of her primary medication for schizophrenia possibly resulting in uncontrollable muscle shaking. Yet she is alleged to have fired off 25 shots without a single bullet missing the target and reloading at least twice while involved in a violent physical struggle with her father in the kitchen. A slim girl who had suffered from anorexia against a much stronger, taller man. During this struggle the glass light shade was shattered yet her bare feet had no marks caused by shards of glass and were relatively clean. She must have used her thumb to press the trigger if she committed suicide yet no thumb prints were found on the trigger. All whilst having a psychotic episode but her long fingernails all remained undamaged. I suppose it was just good luck that she managed to keep the last two bullets to commit suicide without any spare by her side.

It's not realistic. The killings were too methodical and well staged.

Her Haloperidol medication had been reduced in error I think. It's an anti psychotic. I'll have to check re the other med. If the lampshade was broken in the struggle (and not during the raid by TFG), that's no guarantee her feet would have cuts. There's no guarantee she was barefoot for the entire incident either. Her bed wasn't slept in that night. Her father Nevill would have been partially incapacitated from being shot. The shots were close range, the gun lightweight and easy to handle. It looks like somebody with fingernails struggled with her for control of the rifle. I believe the police staged her crime-scene prior to photography. The TFG complained to their superiors that the crime scene was not how they left it, including position of bible, gun and head. This was obviously never disclosed to the defence pre-trial. It might not even have been disclosed by the 2nd appeal stage, which is shocking.

Her Haloperidol medication had been reduced in error I think. It's an anti psychotic. I'll have to check re the other med. If the lampshade was broken in the struggle (and not during the raid by TFG), that's no guarantee her feet would have cuts. There's no guarantee she was barefoot for the entire incident either. Her bed wasn't slept in that night. Her father Nevill would have been partially incapacitated from being shot. The shots were close range, the gun lightweight and easy to handle. It looks like somebody with fingernails struggled with her for control of the rifle. I believe the police staged her crime-scene prior to photography. The TFG complained to their superiors that the crime scene was not how they left it, including position of bible, gun and head. This was obviously never disclosed to the defence pre-trial. It might not even have been disclosed by the 2nd appeal stage, which is shocking.

Guilty as sin

Why the hell would his old man phone him up if his sister was going mad with a gun ? The natural thing to do would be phone 999

Remind me to post on here if owa lass goes nuts with a rolling pin stuff phoning the old bill instead

You're pinning all your hopes on the idea of a heap of convenient "surpressed evidence". Completley ignoring what is actually available to you.
"Sheila went on a shooting holiday and grew up on a farm".
You reek of tin foil hat.

Last edited:

Back