Jack Ross...16 Games Left As SAFC Manager?

Status
Not open for further replies.

This wont go down well but thats fine.

As it is now looking highly unlikely that we will automatically go up Ross has 3 games left in this division this season. If, as expected, we do not go up automatically, then he has maximum 3 games in the play offs.

If we bladder the play offs and 10 games into next season we are not top and winning our home games with a degree of comfort...can anyone see him being here 11 games into next season?

Knowing what we know about football being a results orientated business and the acute pressure he would be under at SAFC given the above.....how long does this bloke have left if he fucks it up? Lets say we are 6th; 11 games into next season, can anyone see him being here at that point? No chance.

Couldnt care less what anyone says but we cannot under any circumstances hang around this horrendous division for anymore than this season and next. Cant be contemplated.

Ross has to deliver.

Dickhead

Are you being serious? Donald has already said clauses make the wage bill go up and it means they’d need to find a way to generate extra revenue. It’s fairly obvious they don’t have much money to spend.

Surely the additional TV money would cover the extra wages. We can't be operating that far out of our means already.

Been a canny thread this actually, some decent debate. I think MBH is about right, if Ross fails to get promotion this season then he should stay, he should be given the summer to address the issues in the squad, but he should expect to be under pressure to deliver automatic promotion next season and a bad start could see him in trouble.

I've tried to be objective and look at positives and negatives and, so far, the negatives outweigh the positives. Namely:

Positives / reasons to stick
  • First season managing in England
  • Seems an intelligent bloke, if we can see issues regarding lack of pace and physicality I'm sure he sees it too
  • Most of the players seem to like him
  • He's young and might learn from mistakes
  • He came into an absolutely awful situation and has steadied the ship somewhat, and may still give us promotion
  • We have, imo, got a bit of fight in us and have come from behind to at least draw a lot of times this season
Negatives
  • There was a big rebuild to do, but we actually started well, it's worrying that, just when we'd expect the players to be getting used to each other's game after a few months, we've actually got worse
  • Doesn't seem to have a favoured system or even knowledge of who his best starting eleven should be
  • Has probably the best squad in the league, both in terms of strength and depth, and looks unlikely to get it top 2
  • Has spent more than any other club (including getting a record transfer for the division) and, as above, we might not go up
  • Had a chance in January to get what we needed and, by and large, has failed to do so
  • Still reliant on McGeady, who would likely look good under any manager in this league, without him we'd probably be battling just to get into the play offs
  • We play very dour, unattractive football even against the worst sides in this league and often this has cost us with many slip ups from good positions
Like I say, more negative than positive, but for now it's important that when at the game we're right behind him and the players, and then he needs to be given some time next season. Wouldn't advocate getting rid of him just because we fail to go up, but I'd want to see issues with the squad addressed (lack of strength and pace, poor centre backs) and I'd want to see us at least trying to play a style, and hopefully being a lot more comfortable, at least against the poor sides in the division.

Let's just hope we somehow grab second and he addresses the issues in the squad in the Championship!

Been a canny thread this actually, some decent debate. I think MBH is about right, if Ross fails to get promotion this season then he should stay, he should be given the summer to address the issues in the squad, but he should expect to be under pressure to deliver automatic promotion next season and a bad start could see him in trouble.

I've tried to be objective and look at positives and negatives and, so far, the negatives outweigh the positives. Namely:

Positives / reasons to stick
  • First season managing in England
  • Seems an intelligent bloke, if we can see issues regarding lack of pace and physicality I'm sure he sees it too
  • Most of the players seem to like him
  • He's young and might learn from mistakes
  • He came into an absolutely awful situation and has steadied the ship somewhat, and may still give us promotion
  • We have, imo, got a bit of fight in us and have come from behind to at least draw a lot of times this season
Negatives
  • There was a big rebuild to do, but we actually started well, it's worrying that, just when we'd expect the players to be getting used to each other's game after a few months, we've actually got worse
  • Doesn't seem to have a favoured system or even knowledge of who his best starting eleven should be
  • Has probably the best squad in the league, both in terms of strength and depth, and looks unlikely to get it top 2
  • Has spent more than any other club (including getting a record transfer for the division) and, as above, we might not go up
  • Had a chance in January to get what we needed and, by and large, has failed to do so
  • Still reliant on McGeady, who would likely look good under any manager in this league, without him we'd probably be battling just to get into the play offs
  • We play very dour, unattractive football even against the worst sides in this league and often this has cost us with many slip ups from good positions
Like I say, more negative than positive, but for now it's important that when at the game we're right behind him and the players, and then he needs to be given some time next season. Wouldn't advocate getting rid of him just because we fail to go up, but I'd want to see issues with the squad addressed (lack of strength and pace, poor centre backs) and I'd want to see us at least trying to play a style, and hopefully being a lot more comfortable, at least against the poor sides in the division.

Let's just hope we somehow grab second and he addresses the issues in the squad in the Championship!

All of those positives could apply to every fecka on here.

He’s had umpteen chances this season to seal Promotion and blown the f***ing lot. We don’t even have a style of play and have huffed and puffed all season particularly at home where the performances and results have frankly been abysmal
He is out after 10 games next year if we are not walking this league.
I wasn't specifically calling you a bellend btw as I appreciate you are prepared to give him at least a little bit of a chance next season. This reply is more aimed at the people who want change now or the end of the season. I can't really argue about the points you make although I think abysmal is a bit strong as there are mitigating circumstances. I don't think we as fans are even aware of the full extent mess the club was in the summer.

When JR came and in, it was all a rush to get players in and probably had to bring players in that he didn't really fancy or didn't know much about. He needed a lot of players for not very much money . We were bound to get some shite and we did.

I'm expecting us to show massive improvement next season, even if we're in this division. Everybody has that bit more experience and a few shrewd, more considered signings will surely see us get promoted next season if we don't this. Similar to when Charlton beat us and we came back stronger and went up the following year. What if we'd sacked Reid for losing the play-offs ?

He will certainly be under pressure if we don't get off to a good start but I can't see any reason why we wouldn't. I know he's made mistakes and people are questioning tactics and substitutions, I have myself, but he's also made good changes. People were thrapping themselves at some 'game changing' subs earlier in the season.

All managers make mistakes, even the best. I think he is our best chance of taking us up next year if we miss out this year. Getting somebody else will mean more overhaul when all we need is a tune up and I'm sure the football and results will improve just because we will bring in better players.

All of those positives could apply to every fecka on here.

Being honest I did struggle a bit with the positives, if I've missed any I'd be happy to have them pointed out but they were about the best I could think of! Don't think anyone could do them all mind, some wouldn't be able to keep a large squad fairly happy and instil some fight in them, some might not have done as good a job of steadying us after the previous two seasons. But aye, none of them are particularly staggering, and the negatives are definitely more concerning than the positives are encouraging

In all honesty, we need a manager who has proven experience at this level and knows how to get out of the league. Who that would be? I have no idea.
Would not mind Clough...……………………..but knowing our luck we will probably end up with Pardew!!!

Being honest I did struggle a bit with the positives, if I've missed any I'd be happy to have them pointed out but they were about the best I could think of! Don't think anyone could do them all mind, some wouldn't be able to keep a large squad fairly happy and instil some fight in them, some might not have done as good a job of steadying us after the previous two seasons. But aye, none of them are particularly staggering, and the negatives are definitely more concerning than the positives are encouraging
Biggest problem/negative we have is that although we finally have a decent keeper(god help us if he is ever injured) we still have muppets for centre backs. Put two road cones on the 18 yard line and opposition forwards would have more problems getting round them than the current lot we have.

Last edited:
Some fair points, I just wish we could have this debate at the end of the season.
Discussing when we should sack our manager before we play the games that define our season seems wrong.

I’d like to interject with a couple of points.

1. Wyke and Grigg with a proper pre season could be absolutely deadly next season.
2. It’s JRs first season in England, and despite where we are, there are teams around us having exceptional seasons who were ahead of us in terms of squad from the get go.
3. Again it’s his first season and I’m sure he’d admit he’s made mistakes but is sacking managers on a consistent basis really the way to go? We’ve been here in the past when managers have struggled but this isn’t that kind of situation.
4. The board decision to sell Maja, was that £1.5 million worth it if we don’t go up?
5. Despite the current budget, when a decent lump of that is tied up in a petulant wanker like Oviedo it’s more of a hinderence than a help IMO.

I’m not saying JR is above flak, I just think pulling the trigger when we could still end up on 90+ points sends out an unrealistic message about managerial expectations within SAFC.

Agree with most of this BUT Wyke and Grigg aint gonna score enough goals if we are shipping them at the other end.
The defence is the problem not scoring-lets face it, we have scored in every league game this season bar Barnsley away -we cant defend a lead. Unless he puts his managerial skills into buying three or four decent (for this level) centre backs that can hold onto a lead then we will struggle to be promoted at any time.

Can you tell me what god given right we have to call other clubs that are in the same division as us?

I woud expect a manager who has been backed to the hilt allowing him to bring in his own players, play his own way, rely on backroom support(coaches, Physios, access to medical treatment, training ground, logistics) which would be the envy of most championship clubs and to have the best fantastic and vocal support away from home, to at the very least have a discernable style of play and know his best 11.

For me he walked into a dilapidated squad, in a new league to him.
He didn’t ask players to be sent off in crucial games, he didn’t ask players to miss absolute sitters and he didn’t ask players to make defensive cock ups.
Has he made mistakes, absolutely he has, but which manager doesn’t, let alone a young manager still in the early stages of his career.
My opinion , fwiw, is he at least deserves a chance to put those mistakes right next season, whatever league we are in.

I woud expect a manager who has been backed to the hilt allowing him to bring in his own players, play his own way, rely on backroom support(coaches, Physios, access to medical treatment, training ground, logistics) which would be the envy of most championship clubs and to have the best fantastic and vocal support away from home, to at the very least have a discernable style of play and know his best 11.
The crowds we have had this season given the turgid football we have had to endure are beyond unbelievable.

If we had played good football and won games at home Im convivced we would have had 40,000 regularly after Christmas.

Two lads that occasionaly come with us were going to buy part season tickets...went to games around Christmas saw the football (1 isolated striker) and decided not to bother. I dare say there were a lot in similar position. Such a shame...we have missed a massive opportunity.

He didn’t ask players to be sent off in crucial games, he didn’t ask players to miss absolute sitters and he didn’t ask players to make defensive cock ups.
Has he made mistakes, absolutely he has, but which manager doesn’t, let alone a young manager still in the early stages of his career.
My opinion , fwiw, is he at least deserves a chance to put those mistakes right next season, whatever league we are in.
Janey you are a brilliant poster you really are and completely see where you are coming from. However, he is not learning from mistakes and that is the issue. The owners imho could have sacked after Wembley as our tactics were shameful and it hasnt got much better.

Last edited:
Agree with most of this BUT Wyke and Grigg aint gonna score enough goals if we are shipping them at the other end.
The defence is the problem not scoring-lets face it, we have scored in every league game this season bar Barnsley away -we cant defend a lead. Unless he puts his managerial skills into buying three or four decent (for this level) centre backs that can hold onto a lead then we will struggle to be promoted at any time.

100% agree with you, if we retain most of our midfielders I think 2 better quality centre half’s would complement Flanagan and Baldwin and that would see us promoted.

We haven’t seen the best of either of those strikers just yet based on injuries was my overall point but I agree with the defensive issues being a hindrance as well.

Individual mistakes by players won't cost us promotion. Neither will some truly dodgy refereeing decisions. What will cost us is for example playing 1 up front stranded. Setting up not to lose but not to win. Fiddling with the team when no need. Not changing the team when there is a need. Winning a game and putting your feet up because you think you have found the magic formula.
Why on earth do we have to be the club where someone learns his trade whilst getting paid handsomely?

Individual mistakes by players won't cost us promotion. Neither will some truly dodgy refereeing decisions. What will cost us is for example playing 1 up front stranded. Setting up not to lose but not to win. Fiddling with the team when no need. Not changing the team when there is a need. Winning a game and putting your feet up because you think you have found the magic formula.
Why on earth do we have to be the club where someone learns his trade whilst getting paid handsomely?
As I said my opinion to which I’m entitled

The crowds we have had this season given the turgid football we have had to endure are beyond unbelievable.

If we had played good football and won games at home Im convivced we would have had 40,000 regularly after Christmas.

Two lads that occasionaly come with us were going to buy part season tickets...went to games around Christmas saw the football (1 isolated striker) and decided not to bother. I dare say there were a lot in similar position. Such a shame...we have missed a massive opportunity.

Janey you are a brilliant poster you really are and completely see where you are coming from. However, he is not learning from mistakes and that is the issue. The owners imho could have sacked after Wembley as our tactics were shameful and it hasnt got much better.

Thank you :cool:
He won the next two games with many praising his change of tactics.
Few were complaining after we won on Friday.
I’ve been massively frustrated at times but I’m willing to give him a bit longer.
The manager will always split opinion, and that’s absolutely fair enough. For me I’ve seen how constant change has sent us from crisis to crisis, and if possible I’d prefer to stick with him a bit longer.

Last edited:
As I said my opinion to which I’m entitled

Thank you :cool:
He won the next two games with many praising his change of tactics.
Few were complaining after we won on Friday.
I’ve been massively frustrated at times but I’m willing to give him a bit longer.
The manager will always split opinion, and that’s absolutely fair enough. For me I’ve seen how constant change has sent us from crisis to crisis, and if possible I’d prefer to stick with him a bit longer.
Of course you are. I am just challenging your take on things.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back