italy's tactics in the 6 nations vs england

Status
Not open for further replies.

Not a loophole, just a tactic. Frowned upon by purists, a bit like they frowned upon Wimbledon long ball tactics.

One of two things wrong. Either the rules of rugby are so arcane that professionals at the very top level struggle to understand them. Or a team of top professionals have gone onto the pitch with an inadequate understanding of the rules, i.e. ill-prepared.

All credit to Italy, with a weaker squad, for using their resources well and mixing it up. It was quite funny to watch England struggling with it.

With regards to itoje it was crying out for the rolling maul.

And Brown isn't the player he was 2 years ago. Time for fresh blood in the backs. I've yet to see him break the gain line this year.
I could not understand why they did not use this against the Welsh more.

Not a loophole, just a tactic. Frowned upon by purists, a bit like they frowned upon Wimbledon long ball tactics.

One of two things wrong. Either the rules of rugby are so arcane that professionals at the very top level struggle to understand them. Or a team of top professionals have gone onto the pitch with an inadequate understanding of the rules, i.e. ill-prepared.

All credit to Italy, with a weaker squad, for using their resources well and mixing it up. It was quite funny to watch England struggling with it.
this.

It's very much a smokescreen for England being atrocious for a good 35 minutes of the first half. Kicks missed and going astray, penalties being handed out like smarties, and just standing around ball watching letting just one Italian player claim a penalty off the posts for a try.

They improved massively for the first 10 minutes of the second half and looked like they would tear Italy apart. Then just scratched their arses for the next 15 minutes and allowed Italy right back into the game. It was only the by now traditional Italian capitulation in the last 10 minutes that gave the scoreline any semblance of what might be expected.

This season's England are there for the taking. Scotland and Ireland know it too. No amount of arguing over tactics can mask that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back