Isle of Man TT

A few of my mates go every year and they love it said this year was great, wish I went with them but it's always close to the other halves Birthday to justify it.

Always sad when someone dies but if you are going to change it you may as well cancel it

Couple of questions....probably daft questions.

On the riders leathers, on their backs there is a hump thing. What's that for, safety or just aerodynamics....seems like all the riders have them.

Also, on the bike categories, what is the hierarchy of them....superbike, stock etc? Superbike fastest?

Been watching the No Room for Error series, and just thought I'd ask....
Here's a link to the differences in the bike classifications mate. And yeah, Superbike's are the fastest.

MD has been an absolute beast in today's Supersport so far. Final lap is going to be an unbelievable time and likely 130mph+ for a 600cc

Last edited:
Just got the latest video from my mate on the Island.

Taken at Conkerfields on a straight. A quiet idyllic scene and then a banshee scream as a super bike rips past
Just got the latest video from my mate on the Island.

Taken at Conkerfields on a straight. A quiet idyllic scene and then a banshee scream as a super bike rips past
About 160 at the point the video was taken, scary fast.

Last edited:
Absolutely tragic mate. There have been a few incidents like this on Mad Sunday involving riders from overseas over the years.

Sorry to hear of your loss.

Fella that used to be a caretaker at a school in Hartlepool was hit by someone riding the wrong direction on the roads there (must be about 25 years ago now, give or take). No idea where the other fella was from but you're right they do get a few incidents like that

We will have more accidents though Jeff unless they make substantial changes, it shouldn't just be an accepted part of an event that a competitor will die it's ridiculous tbh.
You're not forced to watch or read about it, you ain't interested in any other part of the TT apart from the tragic bits. Do us all a favour pack yourself off to your safe space and leave the interested humans have a decent discussion.
The racers all have bigger balls than you and that includes the women.

I have loads of viseo from my mate who is literally right next to the action. The speed is not the big thing. The noise is the thing.

A highly tuned 4 stroke bouncing off the rev limiter is a fantastic thing.

Its like Ingrid Pitt tearing calico at midnight in a Bavarian castle.

Trust me on that!

See Hickman is talking shite again after the SS race.
MD does a 130.5mph lap to raise the bar for the little bikes then Hickman (who's just done a 130.2mph lap) says he knew he couldn't catch Michael so he rolled off a bit on that 130.2mph last lap.!!

Yeah, of course you did mate, everyone believes you.....it would be class if the interviewer (Matt Roberts) just said, "hold on a sec Peter, are you trying to tell us that Michael has just rode the wheels off his bike to post a 130.5 lap and you reckon you've rolled off and done a 130.2" 🤥🤣
Couple of questions....probably daft questions.

On the riders leathers, on their backs there is a hump thing. What's that for, safety or just aerodynamics....seems like all the riders have them.

Also, on the bike categories, what is the hierarchy of them....superbike, stock etc? Superbike fastest?

Been watching the No Room for Error series, and just thought I'd ask....
As far as the races are concerned, they all want to win the Senior TT, which is the Blue Riband event. It's the last race of the week and is basically a second Superbike race.

There's a huge difference in costs associated with running Superbike/Supersport against Superstock.
I remember talking to a guy on track day at Croft in about 2008 who ran a Supersport bike in BSB. He claimed they would get double digit hours before a rebuild was required whereas Superstock guys would get treble digits.

The cost factor in WSB was reaching ridiculous levels in the mid 00's for Ducati to keep their V-Twin competitive against the 4cyl Japanese bikes.
Less pistons has always meant they were allowed more cc's, however, in the 90's the balance was so far in favour of the Ducati's that the Jap factories basically washed their hands of WSB because at the time 4cyl bikes were capped at 750cc.
Obvs ther's far more Hondas & Yamahas sold every year than Ducati's so the FIM changed the rules to allow 4cyl bikes to be 1000cc and upped the capacity of twin cylinder bikes from 1000cc to 1200cc

Instantly the Japanese were straight back on the case and successful with their litre bikes, this meant that Ducati were spending in the region of £600k to make a 999 competitive against the Japanese bikes, and I also read that Troy Bayliss had an engine rebuilt after a Superpole qualifying session, which is basically an out lap, fast flying lap, then an in lap on super soft sticky rubber.
The factory Japanese bikes were getting many hundreds of hours before requiring an engine rebuild, Ducati's were in double digits.

You don't see many Ducati's at the IOM TT, never have really, I believe it's purely down to the cost of making them competitive and the reliability issues a higher state of tune brings.

Last edited:
See Hickman is talking shite again after the SS race.
MD does a 130.5mph lap to raise the bar for the little bikes then Hickman (who's just done a 130.2mph lap) says he knew he couldn't catch Michael so he rolled off a bit on that 130.2mph last lap.!!

Yeah, of course you did mate, everyone believes you.....it would be class if the interviewer (Matt Roberts) just said, "hold on a sec Peter, are you trying to tell us that Michael has just rode the wheels off his bike to post a 130.5 lap and you reckon you've rolled off and done a 130.2" 🤥🤣

As far as the races are concerned, they all want to win the Senior TT, which is the Blue Riband event. It's the last race of the week and is basically a second Superbike race.

There's a huge difference in costs associated with running Superbike/Supersport against Superstock.
I remember talking to a guy on track day at Croft in about 2008 who ran a Supersport bike in BSB. He claimed they would get double digit hours before a rebuild was required whereas Superstock guys would get treble digits.

The cost factor in WSB was reaching ridiculous levels in the mid 00's for Ducati to keep their V-Twin competitive against the 4cyl Japanese bikes.
Less pistons has always meant they were allowed more cc's, however, in the 90's the balance was so far in favour of the Ducati's that the Jap factories basically washed their hands of WSB because at the time 4cyl bikes were capped at 750cc.
Obvs ther's far more Hondas & Yamahas sold every year than Ducati's so the FIM changed the rules to allow 4cyl bikes to be 1000cc and upped the capacity of twin cylinder bikes from 1000cc to 1200cc

Instantly the Japanese were straight back on the case and successful with their litre bikes, this meant that Ducati were spending in the region of £600k to make a 999 competitive against the Japanese bikes, and I also read that Troy Bayliss had an engine rebuilt after a Superpole qualifying session, which is basically an out lap, fast flying lap, then an in lap on super soft sticky rubber.
The factory Japanese bikes were getting many hundreds of hours before requiring an engine rebuild, Ducati's were in double digits.

You don't see many Ducati's at the IOM TT, never have really, I believe it's purely down to the cost of making them competitive and the reliability issues a higher state of tune brings.
Interesting because in MotoGP the Ducatis dominate. I’ve never owned a Ducati simply because I did not trust them. At one point I was sitting on a 916 about to buy it and something made me get off it and buy another Japanese bike.

There was a bit on the coverage saying the manufacturers have got a bit clever withe the superstock bikes but I missed the details about it.

If you were to go and watch live. Where would be the best place/corner to stand?
Ooooh.....tuff choice.
Gorse Lea
Ballagarey
Bray Hill
Bottom of Barregarrow
Cronk Y Voddy
Gooseneck
Creg
Brandish
Hillberry

Really depends what you want to see?
Close up views of the bikes then slow corners like the gooseneck, ramsay hairpin, quarterbridge, the creg would be a good spot to see them (well MD anyway) occasionally berming the bank on the exit.
For flat out action it would have to be Sulby but the first 5 I've mentioned would be Fook me fast as well mind
There is horrific footage of crashes still on YouTube. I’m not posting any obviously.

It must be heartbreaking for their families.
The Simon Andrews crash at the NW200 is still on YT, that's a horrific accident.
Robert Dunlop's fatal was viewed live from the helicopter, I remember sitting watching it live, horrendous, same with Jonesy at Brands during the WSB meet in 2008, I was screaming at the telly "stop the race, stop the race"

I'm glad there's no explicit footage of DJ's smash at Crosby or Shoey's crash at Sulby....JMc mentions that one in his book....those 2 lads were doing well north of 150mph when they crashed.
Bob Price had a mechanical failure at Ballaugh Bridge, ran wide, took off over the bridge and launched straight into the gable of The Raven pub before being shot back onto the course.....there's multiple angle footage of that fatal accident.

Agree, it must be heartbreaking for their families, they should really be taken down, better till, not posted int he first place....imagine how William, Michael, their brother, Mother and extended family felt during the premier of Road when some of them (MD included) saw Robert's accident for the first time without prior warning.!!! Just mind blowing, so so sad.

Last edited:
Ooooh.....tuff choice.
Gorse Lea
Ballagarey
Bray Hill
Bottom of Barregarrow
Cronk Y Voddy
Gooseneck
Creg
Brandish
Hillberry

Really depends what you want to see?
Close up views of the bikes then slow corners like the gooseneck, ramsay hairpin, quarterbridge, the creg would be a good spot to see them (well MD anyway) occasionally berming the bank on the exit.
For flat out action it would have to be Sulby but the first 5 I've mentioned would be Fook me fast as well mind

The Simon Andrews crash at the NW200 is still on YT, that's a horrific accident.
Robert Dunlop's fatal was viewed live from the helicopter, I remember sitting watching it live, horrendous, same with Jonesy at Brands during the WSB meet in 2008, I was screaming at the telly "stop the race, stop the race"

I'm glad there's no explicit footage of DJ's smash at Crosby or Shoey's crash at Sulby....JMc mentions that one in his book....those 2 lads were doing well north of 150mph when they crashed.
Bob Price had a mechanical failure at Ballaugh Bridge, ran wide, took off over the bridge and launched straight into the gable of The Raven pub before being shot back onto the course.....there's multiple angle footage of that fatal accident.

Agree, it must be heartbreaking for their families, they should really be taken down, better till, not posted int he first place....imagine how William, Michael, their brother, Mother and extended family felt during the premier of Road when some of them (MD included) saw Robert's accident for the first time without prior warning.!!! Just mind blowing, so so sad.
The Bob Price one is horrible. Even the immediate aftermath with the Marshalls was scary. I have a video of one of my friends losing it at Croft - it was funny on the day as he just slid off and we had a great time taking the mick - untill we saw how much he was shaking. Then it wasn't funny. Only us lot have seen it and it will never end up on YouTube.

Back