Isle of Harris - Anyone been?

Looking to go next May/June time for a week, just made enquiries with a place down in the south west, looks mind blowingly beautiful. Cottage is on the beach but within 10 minutes walk of 4 other beaches. Property owned by a Dutch couple looks fantastic.
It is f***ing beautiful mate
There is nowhere like it that I have been
Dramatic, stunning, isolated, peaceful, friendly (except on sundays)
Should go back more often I reckon

Do not get ferry from Ullapool
1. The Minch is one of the most notorious stretches of water in the world
2. Docks in Stornaway which is a shit hole

Sail from Uig on Skye to Lochmaddy and drive up to Harris

Our plan so far is ferry from uig to tarbert then about 30 mins drive down south west to Northton

What's the Sunday crack mate

Last edited:
Our plan so far is ferry from uig to tarbert then about 30 mins drive down south west to Northton
Not done that crossing before should be ok. I’ve done all the others, Ullapool never again. I’ve never been so ill on a boat before or since, it was listing 45deg I kid you not, there was 3 ambulances waiting at Stornaway to take the injured to hospital
Broken legs and arms apparently

What's the Sunday crack mate
Very religious folk, everything used to be closed, might have changed since like
Even the the little playparks were locked and the swings chained up

Weren’t even allowed to hang washing out as that was deemed to be working

Last edited:
Not done that crossing before should be ok. I’ve done all the others, Ullapool never again. I’ve never been so ill on a boat before or since, it was listing 45deg I kid you not, there was 3 ambulances waiting at Stornaway to take the injured to hospital
Broken legs and arms apparently

Very religious folk, everything used to be closed, might have changed since like
Even the the little playparks were locked and the swings chained up

Weren’t even allowed to hang washing out as that was deemed to be working

It sounds just slightly more relaxed but still only a few cafes / shops open on Sunday all else is closed. The Uig-Tarbert is the logical crossing from our direction of travel but also the crossing recommended by our hosts, they said we can come Friday or Saturday but Friday is much more quiet. They appear to be building a little empire down there, with 5 luxury properties and outdoor centre and an art gallery, dutch couple with 4 kids in their 20's

It sounds just slightly more relaxed but still only a few cafes / shops open on Sunday all else is closed. The Uig-Tarbert is the logical crossing from our direction of travel but also the crossing recommended by our hosts, they said we can come Friday or Saturday but Friday is much more quiet. They appear to be building a little empire down there, with 5 luxury properties and outdoor centre and an art gallery, dutch couple with 4 kids in their 20's
Link?

Never seen so much religious (protestant) stuff as on Lewis. There must be about one church for every 20 people. Harris seems a bit less religiousy.

Cross to uist and it’s all virgin marys.

Funnyun like.

I would probably go ullapool stornoway. Much quieter roads and dodge all the japs/yank buses on skye

Last edited:
I remember camping around Harris and Lewis many many years ago when a student. Harris as I remember was all rock on one side and truly beautiful beaches on the other. I have some recollection of a church with sheela na gigs and green men carvings and locals making tweed in their homes. Did Callanish standing stones on Lewis and remember a whale bone arch on Lewis too - cant remember anything of note re. Stornoway. Particularly enjoyed camping on west coast of Lewis around Kneep. Totally switched off and did a lot of drawing / painting - happy couple of weeks and night skies were just amazing. Keep meaning to go back but may destroy memories.

Back