Is this the most insensitive headteacher ever

Status
Not open for further replies.

School apologises after headteacher writes to GCSE students warning results will determine finances | Daily Mail Online

In the exam system some children will get good results, some will get average results and some below average results. This headteacher should know that this is inevitable!!!
So to scare the children in this way is awful.
Also he is a head teacher at TWO CHRISTIAN SCHOOLS!!!!
His materialistic ethos does not fit with the Christian ethos.

:eek:

You got the stats?
Hit Google up yourself marra, it's Saturday afternoon and I really can't be fucked on proving very obvious links to educational attainment and income.

Census covers educational attainment and income. I believe the APS does too. Both are available to anyone from nomis.

I recently saw a release that showed the difference in income between no degree, a degree, and a masters+. Can't remember the source though (maybe ONS?)

To say a kids life is fucked because they got shit GCSE is daft, to deny that on those with a higher levels of education earn more on average is also daft.

There will be knackers that can barely read that become self made millionaires, there will be people with masters degrees that stack shelves in asda. But generally as education goes up so does income.

Hit Google up yourself marra, it's Saturday afternoon and I really can't be fucked on proving very obvious links to educational attainment and income.

Census covers educational attainment and income. I believe the APS does too. Both are available to anyone from nomis.

I recently saw a release that showed the difference in income between no degree, a degree, and a masters+. Can't remember the source though (maybe ONS?)

To say a kids life is fucked because they got shit GCSE is daft, to deny that on those with a higher levels of education earn more on average is also daft.

There will be knackers that can barely read that become self made millionaires, there will be people with masters degrees that stack shelves in asda. But generally as education goes up so does income.

How you do in exams has no reflection on what car you drive or where you can and can't go on holiday, it's absolute nonsense.

How you do in exams has no reflection on what car you drive or where you can and can't go on holiday, it's absolute nonsense.
I've already expanded on my rationale mate, the relationship between income and education.

You need to do a bit better than "absolute nonsense" if you want to refute it.

But across the population a higher level of education means a higher wage.

All I've said was he has a point, and explained why.

This one is US based but illustrates my point quite nicely.
Logon or register to see this image
But at this time of these kids lives, all they need to be reminded of, not told in stark, materialistic terms, is that they should strive to show their best, and to reinforce that they are people, not numbers. Those who want to will, those who don't, won't. Some of the 'wills' may end up doing better than some of the 'wont's', but vice versa is equally true.

But at this time of these kids lives, all they need to be reminded of, not told in stark, materialistic terms, is that they should strive to show their best, and to reinforce that they are people, not numbers. Those who want to will, those who don't, won't. Some of the 'wills' may end up doing better than some of the 'wont's', but vice versa is equally true.
I don't necessarily disagree marra. I'm not convinced it was the right thing to do, it doesn't make him wrong though.

I don't necessarily disagree marra. I'm not convinced it was the right thing to do, it doesn't make him wrong though.
Fair dos mate, I just think that someone of his experience should have at least looked at the letter and recognised that it was a clumsy way at best of motivating the kids.

I know sod all about education and how achievements match exams etc but I see where he is coming from. Trying to get kids to see the long term picture that a bit of effort on the boring stuff now could bring dividends later on.

It's not the entire truth though is it. In education, training and … well... life ...there's a way of communicating important information and encouraging people to do well without exaggerating the negative implications of less-than-total success and thereby increasing the fear factor so that it becomes a self fulfilling prophesy and, for some. contributes to a self limiting belief.

Perhaps he's like me....

Fed up with seeing people entering the workforce with unrealistically high levels of entitlement and expectations way above their ability. Refusing to take direction, using / abusing the system and trying to lie their way out of the shit situations they've created.

Or maybe I'm the unrealistic one....?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back