is the coronavirus racist?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Home/land/property ownership is the biggest factor in racial wealth inequalities, its well documented in most history of economics theories.
You have a very valid point about you being a 2nd generation home owner, as will many on this board no doubt (or even first)
It could be argued that this is what divides the north and south too.
I moved south 20 odd yrs ago to a relativly well paid job.
Most of my colleagues even now, have a larger house, more disposable income. This is due to their parents being able to support them better financially.
And when their parents / grandparents die, inheriting larger sums of money.
Its very difficult, if at all possible to bridge this wealth gap (on average)
I live in the south as it happens. We bought our house without any inheritance but admit we are unusual in this regard.
Actually, we were able to buy our first house together as a repossession during the 2008 crash. Perhaps the economic downturn will create opportunities for more people (BAME and otherwise) to get on the ladder!

I live in the south as it happens. We bought our house without any inheritance but admit we are unusual in this regard.
Actually, we were able to buy our first house together as a repossession during the 2008 crash. Perhaps the economic downturn will create opportunities for more people (BAME and otherwise) to get on the ladder!
I don't know how it panned out in the UK regarding ethnicity, but I know that in the USA BME suffered massively due to the 2007/8 crash.
Many BME got on the housing ladder due to lenders lending far too much, with BME getting mainly 'subprime' mortgages.
BME suffered more bankruptcies and more repossessions than whites.
I'd assume it would have been the same here, but I could well be wrong.

You could be right on the last part mind. This could well bring about a housing market crash, and opportunities for BME.
Id wager though that in times like these, it's usually the wealthy who are better primed to benefit from the situation unfortunately

Last edited:
I don't know how it panned out in the UK regarding ethnicity, but I know that in the USA BME suffered massively due to the 2007/8 crash.
Many BME got on the housing ladder due to lenders lending far too much, with BME getting mainly 'subprime' mortgages.
BME suffered more bankruptcies and more repossessions than whites.
I'd assume it would have been the same here, but I could well be wrong.

You could be right on the last part mind. This could well bring about a housing market crash, and opportunities for BME.
Id wager though that in times like these, it's usually the wealthy who are better primed to benefit from the situation unfortunately
Ironically, our repo came from an Asian doctor who had lost all of his money investing with a family member in India.

"Nearly 3,300 of the nation’s 13,000 deaths thus far, about 42 per cent, were black, according to an Associated Press analysis."

Am I misreading this, or is 3,300 nowhere near 42% of 13,000?

"Nearly 3,300 of the nation’s 13,000 deaths thus far, about 42 per cent, were black, according to an Associated Press analysis."

Am I misreading this, or is 3,300 nowhere near 42% of 13,000?
as its a sun link i'm not following it... as its a sun article, could that be part of the problem with the maths?

Almost as if London skews the figures...who’d have thunk it
Yip.
I also think the social element is huge for people who did risky things after being told to socially distance. Instead of asking what colour are you or how rich are you? They should ask what did you do for Purim? What about Friday prayers? Did you go to the pub on the Friday? Did you go to Cheltenham?

Will be seen as racist for asking the question. Not sure we can put this down to slavery.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back