is the coronavirus racist?

I honestly don't know how people get away with spouting such rubbish, NHS workers are literally giving their lives to save people, are they racist as well?
Exactly and it brushes over people of mixed race are hit less. More around genetics disposition and social distancing possibly. But if we try and have a reasoned debate on this you'll just get called racist so it's pointless.

Early research into the first patients critically ill with Covid-19 in UK hospitals indicates that black and Asian people are more likely to be badly affected by coronavirus than white people.

The Intensive Care National Audit and Research Centre found that 35% of almost 2,000 patients were non-white, nearly triple the 13% proportion in the UK population as a whole.

Fourteen per cent of those with the most serious cases were Asian and the same proportion were black, according to the study, which has triggered calls for further research to understand why the virus appears to be having a disproportionate impact on non-white ethnic groups.

The study is thought to be the first analysis of its kind anywhere in the world looking at the ethnic breakdown of cases of the virus. On Tuesday the confirmed number of deaths in NHS services among people with a confirmed case of the virus rose to 6,159 people, with more who died at home, in hospices and in care settings yet to be counted.

The study examined admissions to a sample of 286 critical care units in England, Wales and Northern Ireland with confirmed Covid-19 up until noon on 3 April. It also showed the median age of those in a critical condition of all ethnicities was 61 and that almost three quarters were men.

A racist virus I honestly think I have heard it all now.
Why when the whole of humanity are fighting a deadly virus does someone think of bringing race into this.
Surely one of the most reiterated points since this lock down has began has been that this virus is no respector of race religion or social standing

I honestly don't know how people get away with spouting such rubbish, NHS workers are literally giving their lives to save people, are they racist as well?
She has a point.
Black and Asian people probably hit harder as more under privileged
Live closer to others, poor diet, poor health. smoke / drink more
More may have to work in poorer paid jobs, in the service industry coming into contact with more people and unable to work from home .
Most still having to work.

More white people live in nice houses in the suburbs.

Last edited:
Or that simply areas with higher population density (London) which are harder hit also have a higher amount of ethnic minorities.

Even in London there's interesting differences between boroughs. Brent for example has the highest confirmed cases iirc and its a massively black and Indian populated area. There's elements of culture to it as well no doubt, but the conditions where the more poor of society are going to be housed are more conducive to the spread of this sort of virus.

Back