Is Sunderland a city of the future?

Well, this looks like a bit of an ask, it’s not the best part of town and the vision looks a bit mixed. However, there are a few art, dance and music activities in that area now so we can hope that they produce a critical mass that can encourage shared successes.

Reading the detail and they only have £100k to employ a fundraiser to try and get the rest. £4.5m does seem a huge ask for such a small company so I wouldn't be surprised to see a bigger partner take over if it is viable.

Logon or register to see this image

Matthew CookMatthew Cook• 2nd• 2ndDirector at Northern Spire Ltd & Managing Director of The Mussel ClubDirector at Northern Spire Ltd & Managing Director of The Mussel Club
4h • 4h •
ConnectConnect with Matthew Cook
A new era for the North East as Crown Studios given the go ahead for Fulwell 73 Productions

Are you a business owner and want to meet some of the leading names directing the biggest changes to Sunderland’s skyline in decades?

Join Northern Spire Ltd for our next BUSINESS OWNER BRIEFING & NETWORKING at the new all-award winning CITY HALL on Tuesday 30th April at 8:30am

LinkedIn

Any reposts appreciated!

Sunderland City Council Leo Pearlman Sunderland Business Improvement District (BID) Creo Comms Rob Lawson OBE Louise Bradford Graeme Miller Peter McIntyre
Activate to view larger image,

Last edited:

Matthew CookMatthew Cook• 2nd• 2ndDirector at Northern Spire Ltd & Managing Director of The Mussel ClubDirector at Northern Spire Ltd & Managing Director of The Mussel Club
4h • 4h •
A new era for the North East as Crown Studios given the go ahead for Fulwell 73 Productions

Are you a business owner and want to meet some of the leading names directing the biggest changes to Sunderland’s skyline in decades?

Join Northern Spire Ltd for our next BUSINESS OWNER BRIEFING & NETWORKING at the new all-award winning CITY HALL on Tuesday 30th April at 8:30am

LinkedIn

Any reposts appreciated!

Sunderland City Council Leo Pearlman Sunderland Business Improvement District (BID) Creo Comms Rob Lawson OBE Louise Bradford Graeme Miller Peter McIntyre

The plans for the parkland look superb.

I like the idea of a space to cater for pop up events it is another good way of bringing people into the centre.

And a visitor attraction within the old railway tunnels sound interesting. I wonder how that will shape up.

The plans for the parkland look superb.

I like the idea of a space to cater for pop up events it is another good way of bringing people into the centre.

And a visitor attraction within the old railway tunnels sound interesting. I wonder how that will shape up.
I wasn’t previously aware that there were railway tunnels. Were these for the coal trains bringing coal from local pits to the coal drops, which went under the city centre/Millfield?

New plans to redevelop High Street West are moving forward, with the acquisition of an empty building to pave the way for the area's further transformation.
Sunderland City Council has stepped in to purchase 68-71 High Street West, formerly home to Mothercare and Argos' stores in the city, as it seeks to regenerate and revitalise the High Street, in line with its Riverside Sunderland masterplan.

The local authority will appoint a design team to work up exciting new proposals that will see the High Street given a new lease of life as a Central Business District that will connect the transforming former Vaux site with the retail heart of the city centre

New plans to redevelop High Street West are moving forward, with the acquisition of an empty building to pave the way for the area's further transformation.
Sunderland City Council has stepped in to purchase 68-71 High Street West, formerly home to Mothercare and Argos' stores in the city, as it seeks to regenerate and revitalise the High Street, in line with its Riverside Sunderland masterplan.

The local authority will appoint a design team to work up exciting new proposals that will see the High Street given a new lease of life as a Central Business District that will connect the transforming former Vaux site with the retail heart of the city centre

It's going to be so much better having active street front on St Mary's Way too.
Also Bridge House to come down once asbestos situation is sorted. Hope what replaces that will give a much better first impression of the city as you come of the bridge.

Last edited:

4h • 4h •

LinkedIn

Any reposts appreciated!

Louise is a good egg…alway involved in projects for the betterment of Sunderland

I wasn’t previously aware that there were railway tunnels. Were these for the coal trains bringing coal from local pits to the coal drops, which went under the city centre/Millfield?

Me neither. Railway tunnels in that area are news to me. I'm looking forward to seeing more detailed plans of what they have mind.

Even if it's just a small section of restored tunnel you can walk into with information boards about the history of that area it'll be worth a visit.

It's going to be so much better having active street front on St Mary's Way too.
Also Bridge House to come down once asbestos situation is sorted. Hope what replaces that will give a much better first impression of the city as you come of the bridge.
So will St. Mary’s Way be pedestrianised (seems to be from looking at the CGI), and if so how will traffic to/from the bridge be re-routed?

Am I right in thinking it’ll be higher than that temp structure that’s there at the minute and that’s just used to put the foundations into the river? The actual bridge is going to be the same height as the Wearmouth Bridge IIRC, and that doesn’t look as high as that atm?

Back