Is it just me or is the quality of international football pretty dire right now?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think it's because the bigger footballing nations all play the same style of football now, plus the smaller football nations seem further away...
Funnily enough, the homogenization of the game has made it much less interesting. Used to be interesting to see a clash of styles.

I'm not talking about the 1960s, but rather only 10-15 years ago, if that. I think the squads of the 1998 WC for example were stronger.

I didn't think France were all that great in the last WC, they were sort of the best of a bad bunch?
Nailed it!

I reckon a lot of it has to do with your age at the time when watching a World Cup. Chances are as a child/young person/teenager you'll have some idols and know each squad inside out. No denying there's been some great players mind.

Things look better through young eyes, and even better through a hazy memory harking back to youth. Most of my tournament memories aren't really tied to the football, rather what I was doing at the time.
Hence 98 is my favourite. :lol::cool:
Best England team I can remember is the Euro 96 team. Very good in every position and unlucky not to win it.

Last edited:
Money is really starting to ruin the game IMO. I mean I know England are improving but two 5-1 wins on the bounce... and then you have Man City putting 7 past Schalke, WTF!. I lost interest in both England games once they went 3-0/ 4-1 up, I hate one sided football games, but obviously the tv companies love it, as long as the big clubs/countries are winning

International is some way below Premier League and, especially, Champions League level. The idea that winning the World Cup is a greater achievement than a Champions League seems preposterous now.

I'm not sure that's entirely true.

There's some absolute dross in the Champions League group stages.

The Premier League is effectively two leagues now, the top six and the rest.

International football isn't way below 'the rest' of the Premier League.

The top league teams will always be an exception because they have the pick of the world's top players.

I didn't think France were all that great in the last WC, they were sort of the best of a bad bunch?

The smaller nations have improved.

They're now capable of giving the bigger nations a game.

Iran v Spain. Mexico v Germany. Portugal v Morocco.

That makes the standard better, not worse.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Back