Is it appropriate or acceptable to

I’m always being asked where I’m from. The one that bugs me when i tell someone I’m English is: “Are you from London itself?”

I often get mistaken for South African too

That’s Texas for you.
In New York I was asked what part of Ireland I was from.

In Chicago a local lass told me she liked my accent so I returned the compliment and she just said she doesn't have an accent. I Didn't even know how to respond.

“What is your ethnicity?” would cut out most of the social confusion but still seems abrupt as an opening question like :lol:
But most people confuse ethnicity with nationality including the organisation I work for. There is even a question on one of the databases; “what is your stated ethnicity?” It then goes on to provide a list of every nationality under the sun.
For example, over here other than indigenous Australians, most black people are described as African. Ignoring the fact that Africa is a continent for the moment I also work with a fair few white people who are from South Africa and they also class themselves as African yet no one would ever describe them as such.

What if its not their ethnicity you're interested in, but you want to know about their country of origin. culture, food etc. People can come from different countries and have the same ethnicity and also have different ethnicities within the same country.

But what if you want to know their ethnicity? It is the perfect question if that’s what you want, if you want to know something else, ask another question. :lol:

i often get asked based on my accent and i also ask again based on accents, for example other europeans, I find it hard to differentiate between lots of eastern or southern european accents.

it's never the first question i ask though, it's generally if i can't work it out and more to get to know people who i'm ore likely to work with or know on an ongoing basis.
I'm a migrant though, so i'm used to it. i've never found it offensive at all.

If that’s the first thing said, I’d say not. I asked someone where they were from the other day because I couldn’t place their accent, as an example, that was mid way through a conversation though.
Yeah. I've got a weird generic Northern accent that some people thinks sounds Manc, some think I sound like I'm from Nottingham, some from Hull. So I get asked where I'm from quite a bit but only after speaking. If I was asked before I'd said a word it would be as creepy as fuck

Lots of times - usually lasses to me when I'm down That London sliding through.
I suppose I am white, doe.

THEN again, so do the lads, when I'm there.

Whilst there are racists in the city, I think people in Sunderland are genuinely more open and interested in other people.

I could be wrong and have a rose tinted view of the friendliness of your average Sunderland resident.
I might get pelters for this.... But the north east in general has very low immigration levels compared to many other areas of the county, and so seeing non-white faces is unusual to a point - especially in Peterlee for obvious reasons (why the frig would anyone plan to leave their country for Peterlee???)

Lots of the issues you hear from people around mass-immigration do not, to a large extent, apply to the north east.

I think its why we also have the slightly out of date view on racism up here - we simply haven't experienced multiculturalism in the same way as others.

I took a couple of lasses up for a derby weekend from London . One lass was Cypriot and the other Indian. Both born in London and spoke with very much London accents. Both Smoked benson and hedges, drank Pils out of the bottle and Both were treated as minor celebs round the town because they were different. The Asian lass was little and blokes just wanted to lift her up and stuff which I found a bit strange but she thought it was funny as she never stood out at all where we lived. Watching blokes faces when we walked into the avenue ( was called the clipper at the time) was brilliant. Someone even had to lift the little bugger onto a bar stool she was that little.
we got beat by the way. Kevin Brock free kick ???

I’m always being asked where I’m from. The one that bugs me when i tell someone I’m English is: “Are you from London itself?”

I often get mistaken for South African too

That’s Texas for you.
I get wrong guessed so often I used to keep a tally and a league table in my lab coat pocket of all the wrong guesses my patients made about where I was from. The top of the league was ...
1. Scotland
2. Ireland
3. Sweden/Norway/Scandi - could be the way i look
4. Australia
5. Serth Ifrica (WTF?)
6.Germany (WTactualF?)
7. Wales (fuck right off!)

Years ago I started a job and the manager told me to call a colleague to assist me with something. I called this lass - Helen - who had a strong African accent. She’s from Cameroon. We chatted for ages and said we’d see each other at the upcoming meet and greet.

So I show up at the M and G and there a Black lass there with an African accent so I go up and introduce myself and ask “are you Helen?” She says “no”. I make some small talk and ask where she’s from. “Houston” so I say “really?” or whatever and move off thinking “lying git!”. Later another African lass comes in and this time it’s Helen. Just as effusive in real life as she was on the phone, hugs, loud greetings etc. and it turns out she’s mates with the first lass and introduces me. “This is Lindsay she’s from Ghana” so now Lindsay looks like a right clip after telling me she’s from Houston. Then I start talking to her in African (😁) and her eyes nearly pop out of her head that Whitey knows her lingo. She tries to patch it up “I didn’t mean nothing by that when I said I was from Houston, asking me where I’m from is such a loaded question blah blah blah”. I just say “you think so? Cos I’ve been in America over twenty years and I bet I’ve been asked where I’m from at least a handful of times every single week I’ve been here and I dont let it bother me cos usually people are just curious and making conversation, like I was with you”.

I don’t think it’s a good move as an opening gambit. It doesn’t bother me to be asked but clearly some people are more sensitive about it than others. I have no problem accepting that as a foreigner I’m gonna get asked and if that’s something that bothers you then you’re carrying a lot of unnecessary weight IMO.

Ive had that many times when i worked in Norway and Denmark
I was back packing through Italy in June 1990. Swedes everywhere in the hostels as they were doing OK in the World Cup. Happened to me loads I’d walk in the gaff and they all shout “Svenske!” at me to come and join them. Great bunch of lads even when they found out I was Anglo - when I told them where I was from they said I was an adopted or mis-placed Viking anyway!
It’s been mentioned a lot in here that we Mackems get along better with the porridge munchers than southerners because of shared experience, disregard from Westminster and any number of other reasons. I wonder if it’s the same with Scandis. My mate in St P has a big circle of friends - a great crew but me and the Swedish bewer get along better than any of the others and it was that way as soon as we met.

I wonder what the experiences are of lads who work offshore etc with scandis. Is there a bit of a fraternal connection there that’s stronger than with lads from other nations?

I was asked where I came from by my mother in law's friend in the pub years ago. "My mam's fanny" was the answer I gave (supposedly, I can't remember) & by all accounts, it didn't go down too well. 🤷‍♂️

I was back packing through Italy in June 1990. Swedes everywhere in the hostels as they were doing OK in the World Cup. Happened to me loads I’d walk in the gaff and they all shout “Svenske!” at me to come and join them. Great bunch of lads even when they found out I was Anglo - when I told them where I was from they said I was an adopted or mis-placed Viking anyway!
It’s been mentioned a lot in here that we Mackems get along better with the porridge munchers than southerners because of shared experience, disregard from Westminster and any number of other reasons. I wonder if it’s the same with Scandis. My mate in St P has a big circle of friends - a great crew but me and the Swedish bewer get along better than any of the others and it was that way as soon as we met.

I wonder what the experiences are of lads who work offshore etc with scandis. Is there a bit of a fraternal connection there that’s stronger than with lads from other nations?
I always got along terribly well with Scandinavians like, even at Uni. There was a Finnish lad and a Norwegian lad and we just fell in with each other immediately. Had a few lads from Darn Sarf in the class and the Scandinavians hated their accents as much as I did.:lol:

Was in late one night with the Norwegian lad and he was in the phone to his lass and more than once I looked over because I thought he was talking to me in Mackem.

Back