Is getting knocked out of the FA Cup such a disaster?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Key findings:

* We need to play more through the middle, but seem incapable of doing so.
* Our strikers are terrible, excepting Wyke.
* Maguire 's poor run continues.
* Embleton looks like he has something about him ...
* ... O'Brien really doesn't.
* Diamond does some great things, but also looks liable to concede possession in dangerous areas.
* Power is innocuous in the advanced midfield role.
Agre with most of that, but, Wyke is no good, he has had a few tap ins and well done for that, but really. Against Ipswich he scored one and missed about 3/4 other good chances. If Wyke is our best striker then that confirms this is the worst team we ever had. You could take out the two wing backs and the central defense three from yeasterday and none of the others should qualify as full time footballers.

Reactions: Boo

It's embarrassing, being beaten by Mansfield, who are currently 3rd off bottom in league one is simply unnacceptable.

It's not just the result, it's our inability to score with two supposedly experienced strikers at this level is more difficult to take. Grigg has been beyond awful, only we could throw away in excess of £3m on a player in league one and he turns out to be completely worthless.

Signing Graham shows a complete lack of respect for the fans. They mustn't do their homework at all. He was poor and unpopular amongst the fans last time around, he was the last player we needed knowing he brings nothing different to the table. At least he'll be satisfied though, given the opportunity to return to the NE whilst being paid to sit on the bench and contribute fuck all.

He all but admitted last time the fact O'Neill gave them Thursdays off and they could go on the drink as being a factor in him coming here the first time.
I tried to defend the signing in the summer but it appears, at 35, he's just here for a pay day and to be close to family and friends again.

He all but admitted last time the fact O'Neill gave them Thursdays off and they could go on the drink as being a factor in him coming here the first time.
I tried to defend the signing in the summer but it appears, at 35, he's just here for a pay day and to be close to family and friends again.
It's difficult to account for a player's motivations or to verify whether they're trying. But he was clearly a terrible signing and he won't score many (any?) goals.
Agre with most of that, but, Wyke is no good, he has had a few tap ins and well done for that, but really. Against Ipswich he scored one and missed about 3/4 other good chances. If Wyke is our best striker then that confirms this is the worst team we ever had. You could take out the two wing backs and the central defense three from yeasterday and none of the others should qualify as full time footballers.
Wyke divides opinion but I think most of us agree about the core issues. This is a dreary, toothless team.

Last edited:
Not a disaster at all.
negatives.
Shown to be a really weak team.
players are just not up to the job and there are a few in that team.
not getting monies as progression.
that if we lose wyke our season is finished
i

positives.
you get lads getting a run out showing they are nearly ready
owners not getting a penny more from competitions which is hurting them more.
concentrate on the league.
willis another week nearer
manager should have learned that power is absolutely rubbish
if we lose wyke then it is very clear that Parkinson needs to change the system of play as lumping balls into the box just doesn’t work for Griggs or that other idiot.
(this is however a negative as he will not see this and keep ploughing in regardless)

What it does show is we are very weak in midfield and forward positions, and that's not good news when we are trying to win promotion...

No...but it emphasises the fact that we are a poor side with no plan B. And it is yet another low point in the history of our Club. Losing in successive years in the first round of the FA Cup is a humiliation. Darlington and Marine have progressed further than us....let that sink in.

Knocked out in the same stage as South Shields gets me.
I remember a few years ago when shields were laughed at on here as a Sunday league club and small time.
Now we’re getting as far as them in the fa cup. We’re about as close to South Shields as we are the mags at the minute

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back