Is getting knocked out of the FA Cup such a disaster?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't give a shit and I don't know why anyone would

Parkinson obviously gave them a team talk treating the game as a training exercise, it would explain the lethargy. I reckon he'll be secretly happy we're out tbh

We need to concentrate on getting promoted and fewer games may help going forward.

Discuss.
Of course its not but it was the manner of the defeat that was troubling. We have picked up points recently but have been playing poorly - you can't say we desreved 3 points against Ipswich or even Rochdale or Gillingham and were awful against Portsmouth. The defeat yesterday was in keeping with recent performances. Add to that his selection choices - he has played Power and Dobson together 3 times this season - yesterday, Bristol Rovers and Rochdale and they have been terrible. Neither are good enough footballers but together they are tragic - why play them yesterday when you know it won't work? Why not try Dan Neil? Maguire looks overweight and has been predictably rubbish recently. Why not give Embleton the full match - he did more in 15 minutes than MAguire did in 75. Why bring on the painfully out of form O'Brien to play him out of position.

Its good that we are out of the Cup but it offered more evidence that Parkinson was just a poor appointment.

We need to concentrate on getting promoted and fewer games may help going forward.

Discuss.
I don’t think that falling out of the cap is a disaster as such. The BIG disaster for me id that it is just another total lack of ambition shown by the rogues that run the institution. There is no motivation, no drive foe excellence, no ambition, lets just fall out of the rest of the competitions ss well, then when the lack of quality on the pitch starts to show there will be no competition. They are killing our club, when this pandemic is more manageable they are going to be in for a shock. Don’t ask me who our next opposition are, get the message. The club just hasn’t the sense to stiffen.

I wonder what the boys of 73 made of that gutless display yesterday. Complete and utter embarrassment.

Key findings:

* We need to play more through the middle, but seem incapable of doing so.
* Our strikers are terrible, excepting Wyke.
* Maguire 's poor run continues.
* Embleton looks like he has something about him ...
* ... O'Brien really doesn't.
* Diamond does some great things, but also looks liable to concede possession in dangerous areas.
* Power is innocuous in the advanced midfield role.

The sad thing for me was how little of a surprise the performance and result were. Another shit chapter in what feels like an endless book of misery.

Reactions: Boo
The sad thing for me was how little of a surprise the performance and result were. Another shit chapter in what feels like an endless book of misery.
Yes. Just like last year and the year before. But we lose to the giants ... Walsall, Gillingham, Mansfield ...

Discuss.
To a team from the division below us that haven’t won a league game this season I’d suggest that it’s somewhat of an embarrassment, not a disaster in the grand scheme of things but as an illustration of where we currently are team wise I’d say it was overwhelmingly embarrassing.
It was the manner of the defeat. Mansfield are a poor side who haven't won a game all season. But they looked sharper, quicker and better than us. We were slow and negative again. We're too cautious.
I think ponderous is the word you’re looking for.

Last edited:
Even Parkinson questioned the players desire ! What does that say about him and them ?? It’s not going out of the cup to me it’s what message it sends to other teams in L1 who might have thought of us as better than we actually are !!

Even Parkinson questioned the players desire ! What does that say about him and them ?? It’s not going out of the cup to me it’s what message it sends to other teams in L1 who might have thought of us as better than we actually are !!
It's damnable that we never have more players in the box. But are the owners really to blame for the chronically poor recruitment?

Only no hope teams have any idea what's going on in the FA Cup before the 3rd round so even playing in the 1st round is bad, let alone getting knocked out in it. Might have been fine if this was our first season in it and we were racking up a ton of league points, but we've been here a while and plodding away point wise.

It's not a disaster, just bloody depressing. The defeat provided further evidence of our lack of creativity, even against the worst teams in the football league. It also showed just how terrible our strikers are. Certainly, there were no positives.
Our strikers are terrible - PP himself hinted at that in the post match interview. He also bought two, out of the four of them.

Going out of the FA Cup is by no means a disaster but people need to see the bigger picture.

If we go out of the cup against a decent side in say round 3 then that’s acceptable.

Our standards as a once proud club are being dragged further and further through the mud by these charlatans and yesterday is just another example of not only them being allowed to do it but now people are finding excuses to make it acceptable.

Losing at home to a 4th division side who hadn’t won a game all season in no matter what competition and the way we surrender so abjectly is and always should be wholly unacceptable.

Anyone with the club at heart should find yesterday’s result and performance utterly stomach churning.

Bang-on. Going out at the same stage as Shields shows the transformation into lower league nobodies is complete.
Non-league owners will do this to you and, as you say, the expectations have been dampened so much, folk just accept it as the norm.

It's embarrassing, being beaten by Mansfield, who are currently 3rd off bottom in league one is simply unnacceptable.

It's not just the result, it's our inability to score with two supposedly experienced strikers at this level is more difficult to take. Grigg has been beyond awful, only we could throw away in excess of £3m on a player in league one and he turns out to be completely worthless.

Signing Graham shows a complete lack of respect for the fans. They mustn't do their homework at all. He was poor and unpopular amongst the fans last time around, he was the last player we needed knowing he brings nothing different to the table. At least he'll be satisfied though, given the opportunity to return to the NE whilst being paid to sit on the bench and contribute fuck all.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back