Is football manager still going?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ive got this years and I still enjoy it more than ever to be honest. I enjoy the scouting for the made up players that come through. Think the furthest I’ve ever got was FM 2013 or 14 where I ended up in the year 2044 having been at wolves for 20 odd years winning the lot then moving to Man City.

Ive got this years and I still enjoy it more than ever to be honest. I enjoy the scouting for the made up players that come through. Think the furthest I’ve ever got was FM 2013 or 14 where I ended up in the year 2044 having been at wolves for 20 odd years winning the lot then moving to Man City.
2044??? Have a word with yourself

Ive went back to FM06/07 i still think it was the best for quickness and detail and it was arnly 3 quid on ebay.

Aye, back in the day (probably about 2000) I used to go round my mates after school, we'd have a team each and by the time I had to go home we'd easily have completed a season, including all the pre season buying of players that takes ages! I'm sure on the recent FM games I've had it's ended up nearly 20 hours of playing time just for a one player season. Plus there's so many tactical options and I'm thinking "do these really have any effect, is it really going to make a difference if I slightly move this slide bar"? Like I say, I don't feel that it's as fun nowadays, don't mind spending a couple of hours on a game after work but I'm fucked if I'm doing that just to get to about September in a season!

The instant result skin is your friend. Takes about six hours or so to do a season. The last couple have been good, if not a little easy.

Yeah they take far long nowadays to get through a season, even if ya go text only and speed it up it take me forever between matches cause that much is happening.

Last one I played was about a while ago. Signed Lukaku, hazard, Phil Jones and a couple of other wonder kids before their real life big moves so prob around 2010.

Tactics and training make a huge difference, there are blokes online who spend hundreds of hours developing these and make them available for download, with the above signings and a set of these tactics and training regimes I won the premiership twice, fa cup and champions league in my first two season with the lads. Got pissed off and stopped playing when the board were accepting bids for my players above my head as we were still skint apparently!

As above.

I'm the same, tried playing 01/02 again and seemed a bit shit but don't have the time to play the new ones as they take about a hour for two to three matches.

As above.

Last edited:
Pardew was there last time I played. I kept griefing him in press conferences and he didn't take it well :lol:
I've recently taken the same tactic with Paul Ince. He's at sunderland and is doing a terrible job. I do not approve...also he bought one of my players for 2mil and sold him a few months later for 10mil. I had no sell on clause :(

Echoing what others have said, I wish they'd produce a "stripped back" version of the game. The last game I bought was 2011ish and it was getting too bloated and complicated then - I just can't be arsed to spend hours tinkering with tactics and IMO stuff like press conferences etc don't add anything to the enjoyment of the game. CM 01/02 was the daddy but I also liked FM 2008, mainly because I created a mint tactic that worked with every team. Remember being in charge of Forest Green for 20 years, taking them from the Conference to the best and richest team in the world with a 60k seater stadium, winning multiple leagues and Champions Leagues. Also used to like selecting every league in Europe and taking charge of random teams all over the place, never staying more than a season or 2 at each club before moving on. My laptop would probably blow up attempting that with the newest games.

I've recently taken the same tactic with Paul Ince. He's at sunderland and is doing a terrible job. I do not approve...also he bought one of my players for 2mil and sold him a few months later for 10mil. I had no sell on clause :(
I only did it with Pardew and it definitely had an effect. I'd murder the mags every game. After a few seasons their squad had no morale and they were all handing in transfer requests. :cool:

Haven't played since FM14. Haven't got the patience anymore.
The last game I bought was 2011ish and it was getting too bloated and complicated
It's proper bloated now. There was a stripped back mode in FM14 where everything but team selection and transfers was taken care of for you, but not sure if it still exists in 18. I can't be arsed now. Rather just play PES.

That the exact reason I was thinking of getting it. I remember spending hours on the earlier versions. Use to just sit at my pc for days on end :oops::oops:

I first got it when I broke my leg in 4 places in the early 00's. It was perfect for my boredom of being housebound, but very addictive. I often fell asleep in the chair whilst playing, then just carried on once awake.
Not sure how folk would have the time if they work.

Echoing what others have said, I wish they'd produce a "stripped back" version of the game. The last game I bought was 2011ish and it was getting too bloated and complicated then - I just can't be arsed to spend hours tinkering with tactics and IMO stuff like press conferences etc don't add anything to the enjoyment of the game. CM 01/02 was the daddy but I also liked FM 2008, mainly because I created a mint tactic that worked with every team. Remember being in charge of Forest Green for 20 years, taking them from the Conference to the best and richest team in the world with a 60k seater stadium, winning multiple leagues and Champions Leagues. Also used to like selecting every league in Europe and taking charge of random teams all over the place, never staying more than a season or 2 at each club before moving on. My laptop would probably blow up attempting that with the newest games.

There is Football manager touch. It's meant to be a simpler version. Not played it myself. However, I have played the mobile version which is decent for a commute.

I only did it with Pardew and it definitely had an effect. I'd murder the mags every game. After a few seasons their squad had no morale and they were all handing in transfer requests. :cool:

Haven't played since FM14. Haven't got the patience anymore.

It's proper bloated now. There was a stripped back mode in FM14 where everything but team selection and transfers was taken care of for you, but not sure if it still exists in 18. I can't be arsed now. Rather just play PES.
Never taken it that far. I don't want that for sunderland in my game, i just want Ince sacked and a decent manager in. I figure once I've taken chester as far as I can I'll look to move on, maybe go to a European team, then eventually find my way to sunderland.

Never taken it that far. I don't want that for sunderland in my game, i just want Ince sacked and a decent manager in. I figure once I've taken chester as far as I can I'll look to move on, maybe go to a European team, then eventually find my way to sunderland.
A proper journeyman. I usually start as Hartlepool, get them into the Champ, then take the Sunderland job when the inevitable sacking happens.

I took the England job once and hired Bally as my assistant/U23's/U18's manager, then quit after the WC and left Bally in charge. :lol::cool:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back