Is football manager still going?

Status
Not open for further replies.
It’s failing because they’re overegging their pudding then selling it when it’s only half done. A firm that sold a new make of car that had to have updated bits added every few weeks wouldn’t last so wtf makes these so special? The arrogance of the computer industry knows no bounds

Not too surprised. As you say most kids now are all about their online gaming, FIFA and PUBG being the main ones. My lasses 15 year old loves his football, goes to loads of matches, he's never off FIFA but he's got no interest in FM, don't think any of his mates do either.

FM has a couple of issues; it's not very fast paced for groups of lads talking to each other over their headsets, doesn't make for a great multiplayer game. Also, although I know it isn't their fault, they'll be struggling a bit due to not being able to make a good console version of it. Almost all kids have a console and a phone, I'd say most (teenage type years when you'd expect them to get into FM) have a tablet, but as a result there's not much need for them to have desktop or laptop computers as well. As a result the manager mode on FIFA will be as much as they bother with, if they even touch that

This as well mind. Got sick of having to download through steam and then find major bugs that they took months to fix. The bugs were that obvious that you thought surely if they'd done the most basic of product testing they'd have found them before releasing it! Seems like they decided the customers could also act as their testers and they'd fix the bugs later

Aye all of the above are valid. One of the problems they've had is they've really hit a wall in terms of innovation of the gameplay, so they continually add new elements that make it more intricate. Inherent in that are bugs, and the features themselves offer negligible - even negative - value. Like a lot of people, I stopped playing because of the time needed to play the game. Once you're into it, it's fun, but the first 6 months of any save are such a graft, it's actually off-putting. Then after that it becomes such a time sink and as a grown up, you just don't have 6 hours on an evening to sit in front of a screen ignoring work, women, kids, pets, mates etc. I sometimes wonder how I spent so much time on it anyway as a teenager :D

The console thing and the graphics are an issue now, completely agree. I remember the 3D engine in 2009 being quite basic, but it really hasn't come on much since, whereas FIFA 09 vs FIFA 18 is like 2 different games. People are also more used to flicking through stuff on a console now via FUT, which I think 10 years ago was seen as anathema. You aren't supposed to make console stuff too fiddly, yet really, FIFA are managing exactly that via clever use of menus and sub menus. It becomes like a twitch reaction to gamers in that they can go to the offer contract screen in the minimal number of button presses.

I think they've missed the boat though. There isn't money to do a console specific port (I don't think). It's a massive shame because I can tell you that some of the people who work for them are great lads, and I fear that unless they figure out how to address the stuff you say (multiplayer, console versions) they'll continue peddling to a declining market.

I bailed out when they ended up being too much f***ing about with it. Who wants to piss about with your team living or dying on the basis of whether or not you instructed your strikers to play piggy in the middle in training on a Thursday morning.

It's too complicated.
The quality of the coaches you employ should dictating players improvement and not the microfiddling with training settings. The best corner kick taker should automatically take the corners and ditto free kicks and
Penalties. Something's shouldn't have to be sorted by the manager.

Scouts shouldn't be recommending £10m plus layers when you're managing Doncaster in div2 etc.
When you leave a club the scouting knowledge should come with you. Irl I'm sure a departing manager has a quick download onto a key ring of all the reports submitted to him in preparation for his next merry go round stop He'd be nuts not to.

into 2025 now and lifted the fa cup twice, carabaro cup 3 times, league champion twice and europa league once with sunderland.

yet i still have a 30 year old Duncan Watmore worth £35million banging them in left right and up the back alley weekly for club and country.

much prefer the older games myself - have cm 01/02 installed and love playing that - especially with the new data updates. Just less f***ing faff on!!

What's the excuse in 2018 for the graphics to be that poor?

I know everyone will say the game isn't about the graphics, but its front-and-centre, and there's just no excuse for looking worse than PS1 footy games

much prefer the older games myself - have cm 01/02 installed and love playing that - especially with the new data updates. Just less f***ing faff on!!
Problem with CM01/02 is that the game engine is horribly flawed. And once you know, the game is just ruined. Winning 5-0 every week no matter who you pick.

What's the excuse in 2018 for the graphics to be that poor?
Fuck knows. Surely they could just use an old PES or FIFA engine. It's been the same game engine since at least 2011.

With the cult following the game has I don't think they give a shit tbh.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back