is calories all that matters when burning fat?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lewberry pie

Striker
reason i ask is usually low calories means low fat just going off stuff iv'e eaten, with some exceptions like sausages that have much more fat than bacon but roughly the same calories, or j2o which has the same calories for 100ml as milk but has more sugar in.

I'm no expert but I've been allowing myself 1500 calories a day for the last 5 weeks and lost over a stone. Been running too and I feel a million times better than I did before I started. I've even started to enjoy salad which I never used to...

I'm no expert but I've been allowing myself 1500 calories a day for the last 5 weeks and lost over a stone. Been running too and I feel a million times better than I did before I started. I've even started to enjoy salad which I never used to...

i wouldn't eat that low for any length of time like you'll end up losing muscle tissue.

Firstly, dietary fat is not something people should be worried of, it's essential and a lot of people on lower calorie diets actually under consume it.

If you eat less calories than you burn, you're going to lose weight, however that's not to say you can eat 2000 calories from snickers bars and look as good as somebody that eats 2000 calories split into appropriate macronutrient targets relative to their goals.

Also, if calories is simply all you concern yourself with, you're likely going to under consume micronutrients also.

Lewberry pie said:
i wouldn't eat that low for any length of time like you'll end up losing muscle tissue.

Only done it til I lost the bulk of my weight. I'm running every day now, eating pretty much what I want (within reason) and it's still coming off. After 32 years of being a fit fatty I'm now a fit healthy non fatty, it's much better not being fat...

Basically yes, all you need to worry about are calories. One can get more technical and look at things that dispute this such as how a particular calorie source effects hormones and thermogenic rate etc. But in practical terms, if you are just worrying baout calories you end up eating the "right" calories anyway. On low calorie diets you'll soon naturally start looking for foods that allow you to eat alot, but are low in calories. These are usually the foods that will also give you the right vitamins, fibre and protien anyway. So whilst many will argue that there is more to it, than simply a "calorie is a calorie," in reality most people on a low calorie diet are naturally going to eat "good" calories anyway, hence just worry about overall calories intake. Lean meat and vegetables will soon become a staple of anyone on a low caloire diet as you can have a decent sized meal. If you are hungry, no one is going to eat 4 spoons of sugar to fill them up, when they can have a chicken breast and a pile of veggies or salad.

redmiester said:
Basically yes, all you need to worry about are calories. One can get more technical and look at things that dispute this such as how a particular calorie source effects hormones and thermogenic rate etc. But in practical terms, if you are just worrying baout calories you end up eating the "right" calories anyway. On low calorie diets you'll soon naturally start looking for foods that allow you to eat alot, but are low in calories. These are usually the foods that will also give you the right vitamins, fibre and protien anyway. So whilst many will argue that there is more to it, than simply a "calorie is a calorie," in reality most people on a low calorie diet are naturally going to eat "good" calories anyway, hence just worry about overall calories intake. Lean meat and vegetables will soon become a staple of anyone on a low caloire diet as you can have a decent sized meal. If you are hungry, no one is going to eat 4 spoons of sugar to fill them up, when they can have a chicken breast and a pile of veggies or salad.

Not sure that's true at all. Loads of women at work on supposedly low calorie diets or things like weight watchers and all they do is eat very little so they can get pissed at the weekend. Or munch on a few more chocolates a day. Like iv only had a salad so a few chocolate biscuits wont hurt. Over a week they probably fall into the calorie, points or whatever rubbish they are using but they arent actually being healthy.

Not sure that's true at all. Loads of women at work on supposedly low calorie diets or things like weight watchers and all they do is eat very little so they can get pissed at the weekend. Or munch on a few more chocolates a day. Like iv only had a salad so a few chocolate biscuits wont hurt. Over a week they probably fall into the calorie, points or whatever rubbish they are using but they arent actually being healthy.

Definitely this. If you look at a lot of foods that people tend to consume on 'health kicks' or whatever, they'll go for something with "Low Fat" or "Diet" written on it and you can almost guarantee it's going to be void of any micronutrients.

That's why I'm against the whole "clean eating" thing. Apart from the fact it's a pretty stupid term anyway, people that limit themselves to so few foods are bound to find themselves in some sort of micronutrient deficiency.

Definitely this. If you look at a lot of foods that people tend to consume on 'health kicks' or whatever, they'll go for something with "Low Fat" or "Diet" written on it and you can almost guarantee it's going to be void of any micronutrients.

That's why I'm against the whole "clean eating" thing. Apart from the fact it's a pretty stupid term anyway, people that limit themselves to so few foods are bound to find themselves in some sort of micronutrient deficiency.

I understand how serious some deficiencies can be with some terminal illnesses and long term problems. But hows does it affect your weight?

Can a tablet be taken to top-up those deficiencies?

Eating clean means eating unprocessed natural foods though. Basically fruit, veg, lean meat, whole grains.

It doesn't mean eating low fat diet versions of some processed shite.

How can you be against eating clean.

Eating clean means eating unprocessed natural foods though. Basically fruit, veg, lean meat, whole grains.

It doesn't mean eating low fat diet versions of some processed shite.

How can you be against eating clean.

Eating clean has a different definition depending on perspective. For example, is brown rice going to be a 'clean' food to somebody on keto? Ofcourse not.

I can be against eating exclusively 'clean' foods because like I say, if you limit yourself to a certain number of 'clean' foods, which people do - You're likely going to have some form of micronutrient deficiency. Clean eating also does a very good job of promoting eating disorders such as binge eating.

The term 'clean foods' is just...quite stupid in my opinion, you need to look at a diet as a whole and THEN you can determine whether a diet as a whole is 'clean' or 'dirty' or whatever term people would like to attach.

Eating clean has a different definition depending on perspective. For example, is brown rice going to be a 'clean' food to somebody on keto? Ofcourse not.

I can be against eating exclusively 'clean' foods because like I say, if you limit yourself to a certain number of 'clean' foods, which people do - You're likely going to have some form of micronutrient deficiency. Clean eating also does a very good job of promoting eating disorders such as binge eating.

The term 'clean foods' is just...quite stupid in my opinion, you need to look at a diet as a whole and THEN you can determine whether a diet as a whole is 'clean' or 'dirty' or whatever term people would like to attach.

Judging by your regular use of the word 'micronutrient' it's something you have just picked up on, forget all of these buzz words. You can't go wrong with a balanced Calorie controlled diet and daily exercise, for a female the daily intake on average is 2000 and for males 2500, add a 60 minute cardio session and you could be looking at 2700/3200 calories respectively.

End result = weight loss and healthy body fact, before you start spouting I'm 50 year old and since I was 18 been actively involved in football, cricket, athletics and mountain biking and this had worked for me and never had a day off work sick in my life (touch wood).

And I can add that I've never heard of your buzz word 'micronutrient' before but if it works for you all well and good!

Last edited by a moderator:
Judging by your regular use of the word 'micronutrient' it's something you have just picked up on, forget all of these buzz words. You can't go wrong with a balanced Calorie controlled diet and daily exercise, for a female the daily intake on average is 2000 and for males 2500, add a 60 minute cardio session and you could be looking at 2700/3200 calories respectively.

End result = weight loss and healthy body fact, before you start spouting I'm 50 year old and since I was 18 been actively involved in football, cricket, athletics and mountain biking and this had worked for me and never had a day off work sick in my life (touch wood).

And I can add that I've never heard of your buzz word 'micronutrient' before but if it works for you all well and good!

Micronutrients just means vitamins and minerals though. In terms of purely losing weight they're not going to have a huge effect but they're essential for being 'healthy' (for want of a better word) in general.

A simpler way of saying it would be 'monitor your overall calories but ensure you eat a variety of fruit and veg, at least five portions a day'. That way you should lose weight and get the essential micronutrients.

I understand how serious some deficiencies can be with some terminal illnesses and long term problems. But hows does it affect your weight?

Can a tablet be taken to top-up those deficiencies?

You can take a multivitamin but if you're eating lots of fruit and veg anyway then you probably don't need to.

It's not a buzz word it's what vitamins and minerals are actually labeled as within a diet.

Also you would burn no where near 3000 calories within a 60 minute Cardio session.

Vitamins and minerals are something I've juts picked up on? You can add the word "fact" to a statement, but it doesn't make it fact. You can lose weight and be very deficient in certain areas and be far from 'healthy'.

"I've never heard of your buzz word 'micronutrient'". Jesus, the shit people try to start with me gets worse and worse every single day on here. Micronutrients are a buz... just...ugh.

But na, just do what this bloke says and completely ignore vitamins and minerals (they're a fad), purely because he's never heard of them - Ye'll be fine.

Last edited by a moderator:
Vitamins and minerals are something I've juts picked up on? You can add the word "fact" to a statement, but it doesn't make it fact. You can lose weight and be very deficient in certain areas and be far from 'healthy'.

"I've never heard of your buzz word 'micronutrient'". Jesus, the shit people try to start with me gets worse and worse every single day on here. Micronutrients are a buz... just...ugh.

But na, just do what this bloke says and completely ignore vitamins and minerals (they're a fad), purely because he's never heard of them - Ye'll be fine.
Mate dont even try and explain yourself. Pointless.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back