Is 09 The Best Choice To Partner Ballard - Yes or No

Of course he is.

He was immense on Saturday, but because he’s not 6 foot, or looks like a centre back or maybe because he’s nice and a good lad off the field he gets mentioned every week. Whenever there’s a fault it’s his.

He has been so very important for us for about 2 years now. In recent times he’s sort of re-invented himself as a ball playing centre half.

It’s ridiculous how good he’s actually been, he carries the ball out, pings passes out to both wings with either foot, still wins his headers and tackles. And yet..

There are some who won’t accept him. I’m looking at the majority of WMS and that’s reflective on here.

He’s our best centre back, we’re not even at the ‘who is Ballard’s partner?’ stage, it should be ‘who is Luke O’Nien’s partner?’

If he was signed as a ball playing CB from say a Chelsea a year ago, we’d be waxing lyrical about him, and he’d be on for a move to the Premier League for an exorbitant fee…

all those characteristics you mention i agree with - but think they would look better in defensive midfield where we are utterly desperate for some bite.

he gets caught wrestling, ball watching and out of position (partly maybe this is playing zonal) too often for my money.

his progression from where he was a few years ago is sensational mind and i do like him as a player, just not as a centre back.

Do you have a link to where you're seeing these stats? Would love a neb, as someone who doesnt rate him as a top class CB I'd like to see this. Im open to being wrong
Further back in this thread I believe. Certainly read them on here somewhere. Stats aren't my thing marra, but they made interesting reading.

I've added a list earlier in the thread, feel free to show me how it is incorrect. The 6 earlier + Huddersfield and 2 at Swansea
There are plenty of posts in this thread that include stats that completely debunk your theory. Am not going to repeat it all , but the facts are there , he is in the top 10 defenders in the league. First name on the team sheet for me and every other manager we have had since he broke into the team .

There are plenty of posts in this thread that include stats that completely debunk your theory. Am not going to repeat it all , but the facts are there , he is in the top 10 defenders in the league. First name on the team sheet for me and every other manager we have had since he broke into the team .

I think I'd still play him as an inverted sweeper. Hopefully stop people from walking through the centre of midfield

O'Nien is a L1 level player - need better quality players than him all over the pitch to get promoted and stay there - need to spend money or be happy with mid table Championship at best

What stat shows he hasn’t cost us 9 goals? His pass completion? His progressive carries? Talking shit as usual

This. O'nien is the best centre back in the club.
Bump
You're absolutely clueless dear God
Bump
He very clearly is and he's vital to us at the minute, he's in the top 10 in the entire Championship this season for progressive carries, progressive passing and touches. We cannot lose that influence and the fact he's our most experienced player who is pretty much the only one who will do the dirty work.
Bump
We have the 4th best defence in the league in regards to goals conceded. That would suggest yes he is.

Almost always in the conversations around MOTM. Sometimes the hate he gets makes no sense. Massively important player for us.
Bump

Last edited:
From what we’ve got he probably is. Seelt probably needs more time and so does Triantis and even he’s been bombed out on loan. Letting Batth go was a bad call and don’t think anything will convince me otherwise.

Back