Irish sports

Played elsewhere to a small degree, university teams etc but not significant leagues AFAIK. Aussie rules football is quite similar to Gaelic.

Both the main Irish sports are highly skilled IMO. And still largely based around playing for the county you come from, so a lot of local pride involved. Local clubs are a very big part of community life, especially in rural areas.

Exactly what sport should be IMO.
I went to a family wedding down near Bantry Bay a few years back. The celebrations went on till pretty much dawn on the Sunday morning and most of us didn't emerge again till mid afternoon on the Sunday. My cousin (the brother of the bride) was up at 9am and down the local GAA to play football for the local side. The entire team had also been at the wedding as its that sort of rural place. Think they lost mind. :lol:

Some of the stadia are quite impressive.

I’m a big fan of football grounds and some of the ones you see on the tele are like pomp 90s English footy grounds with a mix of tall seated stands and terraces behind the goal

Looks like fans go home and away so you get the partisan nature of it too.

Although I’ve never lived in Ireland so just on the outside looking in. Hence the post.
Croke Park looks unreal. I remember watching a 6 Nations game there years ago (2007?) and thinking what a special place.

Dubs controlled the game. Kerry only effective on the counter. The Dub going in for the 70/30 in the last 5 mins was epic. Like watching Trai Hume

Hasn’t always been called hill 16 either.

Can’t remember what it was called but it was after some Army unit in the civil war iirc

Cracking game this and I love the fact they’ve introduced penalty shootouts rather than replays in the all ireland
Hill 60 I believe, something to do with some Irish units in the British Army during WW1.

Cork are my team even though the family name is far more commonly associated with Kerry. My dad was born and brought up about 3 miles from the Kerry Border. So I am supporting Kerry here.
😂 I'd say back home that would be reason to hate Kerry! Like saying me family are Sunderland and Newcastle are the closest team so I'll cheer for them😜
Congratulations to the Dubs and hard lines the Kingdom. That brilliant Dublin team earned their last all ireland and the scenes afterwords showed as much, that meant more to them than anything since '11.

It's wide open next year now

Last edited:

Back