Internal cracking on walls / subsidence - anyone know about this?

Status
Not open for further replies.

I get cracking internally in some rooms of my property due to heavy traffic going down our avenue, just fill them in and redecorate every couple of years. Oh and got roots trimmed of the tree outside of the house that was coming onto my property.

No increase in cracks since that was done a couple of years ago.

I get cracking internally in some rooms of my property due to heavy traffic going down our avenue, just fill them in and redecorate every couple of years. Oh and got roots trimmed of the tree outside of the house that was coming onto my property.

No increase in cracks since that was done a couple of years ago.

We have some very thin <1mm cracks on our internal walls away from windows and doors but our road is very busy - I hadn’t considered that as a possible factor.

We have some very thin <1mm cracks on our internal walls away from windows and doors but our road is very busy - I hadn’t considered that as a possible factor.

I found when the main road was blocked they sent heavy lorries and buses down our road. At speeds that are too fast and when they hit the manhole covers etc the house sometimes shakes.

Had a builder in and he advised just settling and not subsidence. Property was built in 60s with no major problems.

I've heard of this on Homes Under the Hammer (BBC1 10:00, weekdays).
The family were horribly mutilated when the house collapsed around them because they ignored the fault. All for the sake of a £40,000 repair.

If you are worried then get an opinion from a structural engineer.

We have loads of cracks around the edge of walls and ceilings, I think it’s truss uplift after we had the loft insulated.

Sometimes it’s due to different owners having heating on at different levels.

Anything up to 5mm isn’t a concern iirc.

How to Understand Cracks in Walls

Last edited:
Reactions: PTR
If the cracks don’t line up with the cracks outside it’s probs just because the house was built in the 70s and not subsidence .

Pics required.

If you are worried then get an opinion from a structural engineer.

We have loads of cracks around the edge of walls and ceilings, I think it’s truss uplift after we had the loft insulated.

Sometimes it’s due to different owners having heating on at different levels.

Anything up to 5mm isn’t a concern iirc.

How to Understand Cracks in Walls
Martin at Maughan and Reynolds is about the best in the North East.Hes passionate about specifying C35 concrete with one layer of A182 mesh to all his foundations .

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back