Intermittent fasting

Status
Not open for further replies.
I still do it mate and I have maintained by weight over the past year.

Usually Monday - Thursday while I'm at work.

Fast from about 21:00 to 12:00ish the next day.

Hods of food after exercising. I didn't bother with the BCAA or whatever before strength training and I'm mostly only running now.

It's just about getting into a bit of a routine.

What do you eat before exercise please?

I have done some exercise in a totally fasted state but I felt a bit 'weak'. Therefore I have been drinking a shake about an hour before a run or if I do some free weights. Shake is water/milk, crushed banana, honey and myProtein powder stuff but when it runs out I won't buy any more. After the run I eat a bagel + chicken breast or hard boiled egg and then eat over the next 6 or 7 hours, main meal at 8ish when I return home.

I don't eat anything before I exercise now. Biggest exertion of the week is usually on a Saturday so I'll start the fast at 8ish on the Friday, go for a run at around 09:00 and then have usually a bagel with salmon and/or eggs at 1/2ish. At first this was making me feel quite ill but I've started to have a berocca-type hydration tablet (9 calories) before the run and some disolvable B Vitamins during the run, which seems to help.

I don't eat anything before I exercise now. Biggest exertion of the week is usually on a Saturday so I'll start the fast at 8ish on the Friday, go for a run at around 09:00 and then have usually a bagel with salmon and/or eggs at 1/2ish. At first this was making me feel quite ill but I've started to have a berocca-type hydration tablet (9 calories) before the run and some disolvable B Vitamins during the run, which seems to help.

OK thanks very much.

Any one did this before?

Basically you eat your daily cal intake and macro nutrients in a 4 hour window

So I eat a meal at 1pm, and 5pm , about 8/900 calls each, then fast for 20 hours

When I first heard about this I thought it was ridiculous ,however after watching endless videos by the "fastingtwins" on YouTube it sounds legit.

I started yesterday , and I'm really hungry right now but it's dealable because I know at 1pm I've got a good meal coming up.

I'm going to eat two crispy chicken breasts, tuna light lunch , and some whey protein, n perhaps a few hash browns to get the cals up if needed. Then a similar meal at 5pm ( getting in all my macro nutrients, fruit/fibre shit at a cal deficit)

My insulin will supposedly be spiked right up, and be able to take in all the protein.

This diet goes against everything I've ever learned about cutting and I'm a bit apprehensive of doing it but willing to give it a go.

I will keep ppl updated if people are interested. I currently weigh in at 14'10 and would say my body fat is around 16%. My goal is 8% body fat.

I've done IF for cutting for a few years, not because of health benefits or it's a more efficient way of losing weight but I just find it easier to adhere to. I would struggle to eat at 1pm and 5pm though as I would be too hungry in the evening.

Whatever the plan it's still all about calories in and calories out and the rest is irrelevant.

Personally most days I'll eat a 500cal meal at about 3pm as my first meal of the day. 120g Smoked salmon, three scrambled eggs mixed with a tomato and spring onion and mushrooms on the side. Quite high on fat and protein and the carbs come from veg. I'll then eat my main meal at about 8pm and I'll finish off with 0% Greek yoghurt to hit my protein, almonds to hit my fat and strawberries and blueberries to hit my calorie target exactly.

I've done IF for cutting for a few years, not because of health benefits or it's a more efficient way of losing weight but I just find it easier to adhere to. I would struggle to eat at 1pm and 5pm though as I would be too hungry in the evening.

Whatever the plan it's still all about calories in and calories out and the rest is irrelevant.

Personally most days I'll eat a 500cal meal at about 3pm as my first meal of the day. 120g Smoked salmon, three scrambled eggs mixed with a tomato and spring onion and mushrooms on the side. Quite high on fat and protein and the carbs come from veg. I'll then eat my main meal at about 8pm and I'll finish off with 0% Greek yoghurt to hit my protein, almonds to hit my fat and strawberries and blueberries to hit my calorie target exactly.
Welcome to the health and beauty section, everyone on here is incredibly handsome except for @PhilSAFC but we let him be in the cool club as he's like a stray flea infested ugly as fuck, three legged, horrible smelly inbred stupid dog.

Been doing the 16:8 diet for a couple months now and I really feel the benefit. I'm already a healthy weight but shifted some belly fat and just generally feel more sharp and alert. My endurance when doing exercise has boosted massively too. Don't feel hungry at all during the fasting stage.

There was a Horizon episode about fasting which is brilliant and on iPlayer.
Horizon, 2012-2013: 3. Eat, Fast and Live Longer: www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b01lxyzc via @bbciplayer

I'm still doing this, 16/8 diet has only gotten easier. Regularly go 17/18/19 hours without eating now, 16 hours is the daily standard.

It's completely changed my perspective on food and hunger. Hunger is no longer a 'bad' feeling, it's just 'there', and it very rarely happens anyway. I know a lot of it will be in my mind but I feel much sharper and just generally mindfully 'here' (that's the best way I can explain it!)

Food portions have dropped by about 1/3 and I'm still improving in cardio exercise and getting stronger in resistance training, but NOT gaining more muscle, need to emphasise that.

I'm still doing this, 16/8 diet has only gotten easier. Regularly go 17/18/19 hours without eating now, 16 hours is the daily standard.

It's completely changed my perspective on food and hunger. Hunger is no longer a 'bad' feeling, it's just 'there', and it very rarely happens anyway. I know a lot of it will be in my mind but I feel much sharper and just generally mindfully 'here' (that's the best way I can explain it!)

Food portions have dropped by about 1/3 and I'm still improving in cardio exercise and getting stronger in resistance training, but NOT gaining more muscle, need to emphasise that.
I think that people in general eat too much.

You'll only put muscle on when you eat at calorie surplus, about 300 calories per day over maintenance is ideal as you keep fat gain to a minimum.

If you want to get more muscular and less fat you really need to choose which one you want to do.

1) Bulk and get more muscle but you will gain some fat
2) Cut and you'll lose fat and a little bit of muscle

Then cycle between the two every few months.

You'll only put muscle on when you eat at calorie surplus, about 300 calories per day over maintenance is ideal as you keep fat gain to a minimum.

If you want to get more muscular and less fat you really need to choose which one you want to do.

I don't want to put muscle on. I'm doing IF because it makes me feel better and it has been shown in some studies to be beneficial. I just wanted to stress the muscle thing because some people on this board are primarily interested in that.

If you continue lifting and ensure adequate protein intake then you can limit muscle loss when losing weight.

If you continue lifting and ensure adequate protein intake then you can limit muscle loss when losing weight.

It depends on how good a shape you're in.

It's easy if you're a beginner to cut and lose fat but not lose muscle.

If your 15 stone and cutting at 10% BF then you will lose muscle.

It depends on how good a shape you're in.

It's easy if you're a beginner to cut and lose fat but not lose muscle.

If your 15 stone and cutting at 10% BF then you will lose muscle.

I was at about 19% body fat and dropped to 14% ish and lost a negligible amount of muscle. I was only 12st to start with though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back