Injured pigeon advice

That was not a long saga. After posting it started lying on its side. We managed to get it to drink some water but a little while ago it just died. My daughter made me dig a grave for it.

We tried anyway.

RIP pigeon :cry:

That was not a long saga. After posting it started lying on its side. We managed to get it to drink some water but a little while ago it just died. My daughter made me dig a grave for it.

We tried anyway.
What a tragic ending. I'm in bits here. RIP little fella.

Reminds me of a video on facebook of the releasing of a pigeon in to the wild following being nursed back to health and the silly twat flew off, straight in to a building.

We tried anyway.

I genuinely admire your efforts mate.

Does anyone know much about what to do with injured pigeons, or any other type or bird?

When out with the dog last night, we found a wood pigeon on the field lying on its back. We thought it was dead until it's legs kicked. There had been a group of dogs around it before we went over, so I think one of them might have caught it.

We turned it the right way up, where it could waddle and flap it's wings, but not fly. After about 15 minutes it still was not flying and not looking great so we took it home. Looking over it, there is no obvious sign of injury, no clear broken legs or wings, no signs of blood. We put it in the greenhouse overnight with some food and water.

This morning it had moved and perched on one of the lower shelves, it's feathers look less ruffled, but it is still pretty docile and not moving much (it is alive!) We could easily pick it up and look it over again. We have left the door open so it is free to go when it feels like it.

Being a Sunday, most vets are closed. Should we just leave it be? I'm thinking it could be in a state of shock still or have a mild injury it is recovering from.
Feed it for a few days, see if it gets stronger. If it's wings aren't broke then there's a chance it'll be fine, just give it a few days.

We tried anyway.
Ahh fuck.

Back