Injured pigeon advice

DaveH

Striker
Does anyone know much about what to do with injured pigeons, or any other type or bird?

When out with the dog last night, we found a wood pigeon on the field lying on its back. We thought it was dead until it's legs kicked. There had been a group of dogs around it before we went over, so I think one of them might have caught it.

We turned it the right way up, where it could waddle and flap it's wings, but not fly. After about 15 minutes it still was not flying and not looking great so we took it home. Looking over it, there is no obvious sign of injury, no clear broken legs or wings, no signs of blood. We put it in the greenhouse overnight with some food and water.

This morning it had moved and perched on one of the lower shelves, it's feathers look less ruffled, but it is still pretty docile and not moving much (it is alive!) We could easily pick it up and look it over again. We have left the door open so it is free to go when it feels like it.

Being a Sunday, most vets are closed. Should we just leave it be? I'm thinking it could be in a state of shock still or have a mild injury it is recovering from.

Easy to remove the breast without de-feathering it. Score the meat, soak in red wine over night and shallow fry in a pan. Make crushed roast potatoes and onions, deglaze the pan with the red wine and pour over the breast to serve.

I'm not so sure it is dying and may need recovery time. Besides, I'm not sure how I would kill it. I have a mallet!
Turn your hand upside down, place it's head between your index finger and middle finger, then snap your hand like you were whacking a snare drum, or just wait and see if it recovers..;) it probably will like.

Back